The season just ended.... | Vital Football

The season just ended....

MadAmster

Vital Squad Member
..... was it a success or not? A lot will depend on your personal perspective. Mine, in no particular order?

1. The playoffs was the stated aim and we got there so that's a +
2. We spent several weeks in the auto playoffs and then went into a nosedive of just 20 points from the opening 19 games of 2018. GR seemed incapable (unwilling?) to change tack. We basically threw auto away by sticking to a tactic that failed for so long a period -
3. Too few young uns given a go despite that being one of MM's stated KPI's. -
4. 11 places, 22 points and 34 GD ahead of our local rivals so we retain bragging rights....... and the Brian Clough Trophy +
5. Even the successful period wasn't accompanied by football on the front foot, we backed off, didn't press and allowed the opposition time and space to shoot/cross and create chances in our defensive third of the pitch -
6. Our final position was as good as a some fans had expected and better than a lot had expected last August +

Basically, satisfactory and no more than that with 3 + and 3 -

About right MA except number 2 which was very poor management and warrants a D- at least!!
Overall, taking into account the type of football played as against finishing top six and a very good performance in the play-off first leg followed by shiitte in the 2nd leg a B-!!

About right MA except number 2 which was very poor management and warrants a D- at least!!
Overall, taking into account the type of football played as against finishing top six and a very good performance in the play-off first leg followed by shiitte in the 2nd leg a B-!!

Fully understand what you mean and I don't disagree. I had decided to keep things simple with either a + or a -

I thought it was satisfactory When you think we had a manager who has to play a lot of players who didn't sign or probably didn't want I think the style of play is a bit over the top by a lot of fans There always has and there always will be different ways to win at football We all want to see flying wingers crosses and goals but football doesn't always work like that The only certainty in the crazy Championship is there will be disappointed fans of 20 teams each season

The games against Fulham probably showed how far off we are. Something to build on and a smaller settled squad will be a plus

The games against Fulham probably showed how far off we are. Something to build on and a smaller settled squad will be a plus
If we don't lose the likes of Vydra, Davies and Carson to pay any shortfalls of bad buys either last season or before. We do still need to keep an eye on FFP and I think we may be a selling club unless the imminent arrival of Mr Lampard has stipulated in talks he needs these players here and a reasonable transfer budget. Speaking personally I think he will attract a decent loanee market to the club so any outgoings may be covered.

Is it not possible that we might manage the best of both worlds?
Vydra should attract a decent fee - i.e. not less than £12m imo - while we might have a ready made replacement in Tom Lawrence.
Lawrence seemed to play a much more central and Vydra like role at Ipswich (and for Wales) with great success, but as usual at Derby we spend the money and then expect a player to perform in a less familiar role.
Think there’s a lot more to come from Lawrence and let’s not forget that this time last year most wouldn’t have had Vydra in the starting XI.

We need to get a winger to play as a winger. We keep buying inside forwards and stick them out wide, Russell, Vydra, Lawrence and Blackman spring to mind.

We need to get a winger to play as a winger. We keep buying inside forwards and stick them out wide, Russell, Vydra, Lawrence and Blackman spring to mind.

Round pegs in square holes or vice versa................ the Derby Way? ;)

Round pegs in square holes or vice versa................ the Derby Way? ;)

I somtimes wonder whether our recruitment policy has been based on who historically was a good player we can buy - so what if he is not the player we need to fit into the system we play and is now distinctly average but will demand top dollar in wages - how many players have we bought at top price from clubs only to see that club then do much better without said player?

martin - Norwich went up after we bought him, Shackell ditto Burnley, Butterfield ditto Huddersfield jeez we buy some overpriced has beens dont we?

Understand the idea but the argument is not without flaws.

Martin 60 odd goals in his first 3 full seasons. Overpriced has been? He came on a free transfer........

Shackell played very well in that first stint. So well that Burnley came in and bought him back. On the negative side there are non-footballing rumours on the background to his move back to Burnley. In hindsight we should not have bought him a 2nd time as he has not performed for us at anything like his previous form.

Butterfield. Played well at Huddersfield. Came to us and started well with us. He then went "off the boil" and has remained cold since then. I have no idea why.

Spot on about Martin and Butterfield, MA and, tbf to Shackell he was very decent in that first season back from Burnley, or at least he was until the Wassall incident, but then it all went horribly wrong. Like you, I find it all difficult to explain.

Feck all dismal about making the playoffs and failure is getting relegated

If we achieved our target, i,e, top six then I don't see how we are bordering on FFP sanctions, or so the media say. Surely we didn't budget just to make the top six or was it the fact Morris could have had to pay all the season ticket holders season tickets had we achieved promotion...

So many mixed messages have come out of Pride Park this season and no wonder the squad didn't know where they were in the end.

At the end of the Day it's Mel's money and he's trying his best to get this club to the Premier league.
It's certain players to blame, some just aren't good enough but others IMO don't give everything! We just need to off load the ones that don't cut the mustard!

Latest Rams News