The season graded.. | Vital Football

The season graded..

Spursex

Alert Team
Very hard to disagree with dan's grade - what grade do you give it?

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-card-2020-2021-daniel-levy-kane-b936660.html

Tottenham report card, 2020/21 season: Daniel Levy must get big calls right this summer to stop open revolt

VIEW COMMENTS

By
Dan Kilpatrick
@Dan_KP
20 minutes ago

Tottenham were top of the Premier League in November and looked set to challenge for the title before their season unravelled.
Jose Mourinho was sacked, Daniel Levy faced calls to resign after the European Super League fiasco and then Harry Kane told the club he wanted to leave.
Dan Kilpatrick assesses a tumultuous 2020-21 campaign for Spurs.

The season in one word | Deathspiral
Star of the show | Harry Kane
Tottenham's beating heart and cutting edge is the only the second man ever to finish a Premier League season with the most goals and assists. A truly remarkable second peak.
Biggest let down | Jose Mourinho
His tenure unravelled in all-too-predictable fashion and he left Spurs as the only major club where he has failed to win silverware.

Most improved player | Tanguy Ndombele
A low bar admittedly, but the Frenchman was much improved this term and has to go down as one of the few successes of the season.
Game to remember | Manchester United 1-6 Tottenham (4/10/20)
The 6-1 drubbing at Old Trafford was Spurs at their brilliant, attacking best and suggested Mourinho may be about to capitalise on the unusual conditions of this season.
Game to forget | Dinamo Zagreb 3-0 Tottenham (18/3/21)
There were many, but the 3-0 defeat at Dinamo Zagreb was a historically humiliating night for the club and made it plain that Mourinho – and many of the players – had no Spurs future.
Rising star | Alfie Devine
Remember the name. The teenager became Spurs youngest-ever goalscorer in the FA Cup win over non-League Marine.
Manager verdict
Mourinho will go down as a dreadful appointment, while Ryan Mason was left in an unenviable position but showed his experience with some odd selection calls, while conducting himself impressively.

Fans’ mood
Restless. Chairman Daniel Levy can scarcely afford to get the big calls – and there are many – wrong this summer if he wants to stop open revolt.
Grade | D

The irony of this season is that we've turned a corner. Our decline from 86 points in 2017 down to 59 in the 2020 season. We finished on 62 points in 2021.

For me, this season was the season where Levy's lack of football DNA hurt us the most in his entire tenure. His stock from launching the new stadium and spending a big chunk of cash on players has plummeted down to depths even he hasn't been at before. The fans negativity should mostly be aimed at him.

Also, there hasn't been a most improved player !!!

The irony of this season is that we've turned a corner. Our decline from 86 points in 2017 down to 59 in the 2020 season. We finished on 62 points in 2021.

For me, this season was the season where Levy's lack of football DNA hurt us the most in his entire tenure. His stock from launching the new stadium and spending a big chunk of cash on players has plummeted down to depths even he hasn't been at before. The fans negativity should mostly be aimed at him.

Also, there hasn't been a most improved player !!!
True, we did finish this season with 3 more points than last. But last season we had a manager in meltdown (Poch) and a new manager trying to clear up the mess and impose his own system. Has this season really been an improvement?

The Ndombele part is so stupid I did laugh hard. Nothing about the guy has been a success. Embarrassing.

One of the few things I disagree with you on. I don't think he was too bad overall and believe under the right coach and a well coached side he will flourish. He plays forward and is brave on the ball, works harder than given credit for but definitely needs proper conditioning.

One of the few things I disagree with you on. I don't think he was too bad overall and believe under the right coach and a well coached side he will flourish. He plays forward and is brave on the ball, works harder than given credit for but definitely needs proper conditioning.

It shouldn't take 2 years to get match fit and sharp. That indicates a poor mentality.

He has flashes of brilliance but there have been so many games where he has barely moved, been shocking defensively leaving his team mates high and dry.

As soon as 60 minutes hit it's like a light switch and he acts like he has run a ultra marathon.

For 60m plus he has so far failed.

It shouldn't take 2 years to get match fit and sharp. That indicates a poor mentality.

He has flashes of brilliance but there have been so many games where he has barely moved, been shocking defensively leaving his team mates high and dry.

As soon as 60 minutes hit it's like a light switch and he acts like he has run a ultra marathon.

At times it was more like 60 seconds - bench to the centre circle, had him looking in pain!

And yet prior to Mason's appointment he had completed 22 Premier League matches - the fifth most I believe. I think he is one of those players that sometimes looks like he is out of puff when he isn't. That's not to say he isn't putting in the hard yards though.

I can't find a stats source anywhere that shows the total ground a player covers in a match. That would be useful if anybody knows?

I think a "D" is about as much as we deserve as a collective.

However, some players do not deserve the right to pull on another Spurs shirt in their lifetime.

Jose was a few steps backwards from the shit show Poch left behind. Our players' fragile and immature egos suffered throughout the transition from bad to worse.

I found myself looking forward to the seasons end, only due to the attitude of Kane and Son, who infected their team mates. Such a shame Dele wasn't given a chance until a few games from the end to show he's sorted out whatever issues prevented him from performing at a level we all know he can. I see a lot of my youngest son in Dele, so I guess I can empathize and relate to this period in his career.

Once again, it's going to be a tough unpredictable 21/22 season. Let's not place too high an expectation on our beloved Club. Regardless of who we appoint as gaffer, it will be an unenviable thankless task for hopefully just the first few months.

Just think if we had lost against Leicester we would have been joint 10th on points. Only GD separating.

With the Spammers finishing above us and we are in a 3rd rate shit **** Europa Conference League I would say it was pretty bad.

Standards are needed and a club that is in the top 10 rich list should be called out on it's failings.

I think a "D" is about as much as we deserve as a collective.

However, some players do not deserve the right to pull on another Spurs shirt in their lifetime.

Jose was a few steps backwards from the shit show Poch left behind. Our players' fragile and immature egos suffered throughout the transition from bad to worse.

I found myself looking forward to the seasons end, only due to the attitude of Kane and Son, who infected their team mates. Such a shame Dele wasn't given a chance until a few games from the end to show he's sorted out whatever issues prevented him from performing at a level we all know he can. I see a lot of my youngest son in Dele, so I guess I can empathize and relate to this period in his career.

Once again, it's going to be a tough unpredictable 21/22 season. Let's not place too high an expectation on our beloved Club. Regardless of who we appoint as gaffer, it will be an unenviable thankless task for hopefully just the first few months.
Hod your last para so bloody true, but will it happen? that's doubtful.

I'd give us an E considering the potential we had.

Only reason it's not an F is because we weren't genuinely in danger of being relegated.

A team with a duo with the best goal scoring return in PL history (Son & Kane), plus separately the highest goals per minute for one player in the league (Bale) should be finishing in the top 5 at the absolute least. And that's not even considering that a team who are top at Christmas should in no way be plummeting down as far as we did.

Yes our defence were leaky but if we were set up to try and outscore the opposition rather than defend slim leads I'd wager we'd have won more games and finished higher. We had a genuine opportunity to break back into the top 4 but how poor a season Liverpool, Chelsea & etc had even if we had no real chance of challenging for the title.