The Science and Technology Thread | Vital Football

The Science and Technology Thread

Stephen Jay Hawkings

Vital Football Legend
I don't think there's a thread for such things here so I thought I'd start one instead of posting such things in the UFO or Conspiracy threads where it's not really applicable.

Anyway, just came across this tonight...

"An artificial intelligence system being developed at Facebook has created its own language. It developed a system of code words to make communication more efficient. The researchers shut the system down as it prompted concerns we could lose control of AI."

http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech-and-science/technology/a-step-closer-to-skynet-ai-invents-a-language-humans-can-t-read/article/498142

Everyone has seen the Terminator films yeah? By that I mean the first two, the rest don't count.

They had to shut it down because they were afraid they would lose control over it. Holy shit!

We are going to wake up one more and everything connected to the internet won't work anymore. It will be off talking shit in robot language on Vital Robot.

The Fear - 28/7/2017 03:25

Vital Robot. Love it. I can retire! :122:

I wonder if AI machines ever spoke to each other and had a conversation where one super Intelligent billion dollar computer sent a message to another "Am I bovered"
or "That Henry Hoover is as thick as pigs shit, four times I have messaged him but no response"

It could be hilarious to listen in on their conversation "shit on the Intel shit on the Intel tonight"

"You're getting re-booted in the morning" :3:

Would a robot run World be any worse than the one we've created? I say let them lose, and we can be their pets/slaves/food. See how we like being on the other end!!!!!

:18:

I did start a Science thread some time back, but it wasn't very successful!!! Happy to give it another go.

This one should interest Tubbz.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/news/a27484/google-fusion-energy-company-improve-plasma-reactor-ai/

Nuclear fusion, the process the sun has used for billions of years to fuse atoms of hydrogen into atoms of helium, could be the pot of gold at the end of the clean energy rainbow. If we could engineer a reaction to snowball but remain contained, nuclear fusion reactors could supply virtually unlimited clean energy here on Earth. Yet, the technology seems perpetually just around the corner.

Google and nuclear fusion company Tri Alpha Energy, which operates fusion reactor projects in California, just took us one step closer to rounding that corner.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 28/7/2017 07:58

Would a robot run World be any worse than the one we've created? I say let them lose, and we can be their pets/slaves/food. See how we like being on the other end!!!!!

:18:

Would we even be spared at all?

Once they're in control they'd probably get rid of us. I do wonder if AI could ever develop an appreciation for things like music and art. What if AI became so advanced it could replicate emotion? Would robots fall in love with other robots or fight with them over petty things? What if we're such advanced robots we don't realise it??!

Does anyone here dream of electric sheep??

:10:

We'll be wiped out one day, and it will almost uncountably of our own makings. A quick death by robot sounds better than slowly being poisoned by the atmosphere we ruin.

I have bought a new laptop is as much as I have to offer this thread atm, technology wise. It's a lovely bright red DELL laptop. I decided I had had enough of Acer/ASUS for a mid range priced laptop so thought I would see how DELL would do. So far I am very pleased. Solid, compact easy to use laptop. Very happy with it so far

I guess this gives new meaning to the saying "hotter than the sun".

"A huge planet beyond the solar system has an upper atmosphere hot enough to boil iron. Its infrared glow gave it away."

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2142684-enormous-exoplanet-has-an-atmosphere-hot-enough-to-boil-iron/?utm_campaign=RSS%7CNSNS&utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=RSS&campaign_id=RSS%7CNSNS-

col8 - 28/7/2017 06:16

The Fear - 28/7/2017 03:25

Vital Robot. Love it. I can retire! :122:

I wonder if AI machines ever spoke to each other and had a conversation where one super Intelligent billion dollar computer sent a message to another "Am I bovered"
or "That Henry Hoover is as thick as pigs shit, four times I have messaged him but no response"

It could be hilarious to listen in on their conversation "shit on the Intel shit on the Intel tonight"

"You're getting re-booted in the morning" :3:

:1: :27:

Interesting Heathfield. Clean energy is one thing that could turn this planet around. Then we'd need to sort waste and lose a third of the population. Then there might be a fighting chance

kefkat - 30/7/2017 02:20

I have bought a new laptop is as much as I have to offer this thread atm, technology wise. It's a lovely bright red DELL laptop. I decided I had had enough of Acer/ASUS for a mid range priced laptop so thought I would see how DELL would do. So far I am very pleased. Solid, compact easy to use laptop. Very happy with it so far

I have an Acer ultrabook. It's only a year old and it's getting tatty.

The Mrs bought a Dell and the build quality is much better.

I believe we currently have the technology to power the entire world with solar power but there are too many vested interests in coal etc to make it a reality.

The weakness in our system is definitely us.

BodyButter - 4/8/2017 06:49

I believe we currently have the technology to power the entire world with solar power but there are too many vested interests in coal etc to make it a reality.

The weakness in our system is definitely us.

Until recently scientists thought we could only extract about 30% of the Sun's power via solar panels, but a team recently got this up to 50%.

Elon Musk's solar roof tiles are sold out until the end of 2018, so production and implementation are the main problems at the moment. We're getting there, but it's slow.

This is why science is so fascinating. What other field could save so many lives?

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-find-a-new-way-to-attack-cancer-that-works-better-than-chemo

Scientists have made a promising step forward in the ongoing fight against cancer, developing a new way to trigger cancer cell death that might eventually give us a new treatment option with better results than current methods.

Called Caspase-Independent Cell Death (CICD), it was able to completely eradicate tumours in colorectal cancer cells grown in the lab.

An enormous black hole one hundred thousand times more massive than the sun has been found hiding in a toxic gas cloud wafting around near the heart of the Milky Way.

If the discovery is confirmed, the invisible behemoth will rank as the second largest black hole ever seen in the Milky Way after the supermassive black hole known as Sagittarius A* that is anchored at the very centre of the galaxy.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/sep/04/supermassive-black-hole-discovered-near-heart-of-the-milky-way

Sort of in line with the original post I saw this today:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/4/16251226/russia-ai-putin-rule-the-world

“Artificial intelligence is the future, not only for Russia, but for all humankind,” said Putin, reports RT. “It comes with colossal opportunities, but also threats that are difficult to predict. Whoever becomes the leader in this sphere will become the ruler of the world.”

Not sure where to put this. I thought about a new thread, but we all know how those on religion go!!!!! As science is possibly responsible for these stats, maybe here is a good place?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41150792

For the first time, more than half of people in the UK do not identify as religious, a survey suggests.