The Science and Technology Thread | Page 15 | Vital Football

The Science and Technology Thread

Fantastic. China should not be trusted, I hope that 5G deal is up in flames.

Another topic again, are you worried about Huawei on the 5G? My gut feel is that it’s a load of US propaganda, Huawei are a decent company from my short experience of working in telecoms and it felt to me like this is all a ploy to hurt China or get a US company on the contract.

To me, if they’re doing infrastructure that’s different to managing the communications side of it, because they’re doing the hardware part of it. I believe they also had a part to play in the kit for 4G but I may be wrong.

Maybe I’m missing something and they aren’t to be trusted, but I trust the US less than the Chinese with my data.

Last edited:
Another topic again, are you worried about Huawei on the 5G? My gut feel is that it’s a load of US propaganda, Huawei are a decent company from my short experience of working in telecoms and it felt to me like this is all a ploy to hurt China or get a US company on the contract.

To me, if they’re doing infrastructure that’s different to managing the communications side of it, because they’re doing the hardware part of it. I believe they also had a part to play in the kit for 4G but I may be wrong.

Maybe I’m missing something and the aren’t to be trusted, but I trust the US less than the Chinese with my data.

Why do we need overseas companies. Surely there's someone in the UK that is capable of doing this work.

Why do we need overseas companies. Surely there's someone in the UK that is capable of doing this work.
Cost - China can produce quicker and cheaper - think Steel, cars etc.

On the G's - given Marconi/BT's dominance, we've never kept pace, we simply can't match the tech. I could be wrong but I don't think we could've 3g'ed ourselves without foreign investment/tech - let alone 4/5.

Cost - China can produce quicker and cheaper - think Steel, cars etc.

On the G's - given Marconi/BT's dominance, we've never kept pace, we simply can't match the tech. I could be wrong but I don't think we could've 3g'ed ourselves without foreign investment/tech - let alone 4/5.

China produces mostly crap.

Probably cost about £40bn more I guess. Is there a british company out there that could do it? I don’t know, but it has to be a PLC multinational surely, like Vodafone. I don’t know anything about it though

Probably cost about £40bn more I guess. Is there a british company out there that could do it? I don’t know, but it has to be a PLC multinational surely, like Vodafone. I don’t know anything about it though

Giving it to UK companies would certainly help some of them.

Giving it to UK companies would certainly help some of them.

I don’t disagree, but who could do it - BT? I can only think they would have the scale to do it. Or you get a Carillion-type company to take on a contract and then they sub it out to a load of contractors, but that sounds expensive and disjointed.

The only thing chinese I'd touch is a take-away......

I've stopped trusting them with those too. A few months ago we ordered a takeaway from our local one. I fancied sirloin steak and chips, it wasn't cheap. When it arrived it was just sandwich steak and tough as old boots. Will never order from the robbing bastards again.

I don’t disagree, but who could do it - BT? I can only think they would have the scale to do it. Or you get a Carillion-type company to take on a contract and then they sub it out to a load of contractors, but that sounds expensive and disjointed.

But at least it would work properly.

They could always do what the Chinese do, buy the necessary 5G equipment from China and then copy it.

One of the implications from Covid-19 will be a change in how we view national security. It probably won't last too long but in the short term at least, national security with have renewed importance.

They could always do what the Chinese do, buy the necessary 5G equipment from China and then copy it.

One of the implications from Covid-19 will be a change in how we view national security. It probably won't last too long but in the short term at least, national security with have renewed importance.

Ironically it’s not the goods and products, even the services that we should be worried about post COVID, it’s people. I don’t mean Chinese people specifically, people from anywhere who can transmit an outbreak be it Wuhan or Lombardy.

But yes, I agree for a short period we will see a bit of protectionism but the reality is that when we get back to normal the economics for consumers and governments will talk. People still buy Hotpoint products even though they’re death traps and have caused several fires in high rise buildings, because they’re cheap and they pay the biggest rebates to Curry’s so they get the best marketing.

Last edited:
I've stopped trusting them with those too. A few months ago we ordered a takeaway from our local one. I fancied sirloin steak and chips, it wasn't cheap. When it arrived it was just sandwich steak and tough as old boots. Will never order from the robbing bastards again.

Yeah, I take your point, but with all due respect Fulford, you don't go to a steak bar and order a Chow Mein do you?....... :throw:

Yeah, I take your point, but with all due respect Fulford, you don't go to a steak bar and order a Chow Mein do you?....... :throw:

Was thinking that. Like people who order 'an English' in an Indian restaurant. They are not going to get 'an English' like they would at home/ in an English restaurant.