The Run In | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Run In

Wasn't keen on them at first but now they are essential to keeping interest going. Many seasons before their inception our season was finished February/March with nothing to play for. Now they keep things going for many teams right up to the last couple of games so I have come round to them.

I would resist though going down the non-league route of 6 teams making the play offs as the points gap from 2nd to 7th in that league is massive and that is almost the same as 4th to 9th in ours

fair comments of course , but a team in 7th , say 10-15 points behind 3rd , and get promoted is a tad unfair . Imagine it happening to LCFC lol . still all clubs know the rules .

But i will never be persuded they are a good thing .

That would be used for determining league position too. So if Mansfield fail to win, Lincoln and Coventry are in the play-offs. Were the scenario outlined above to occur (1-0 and 2-1 defeats), Lincoln would finish 6th. Therefore, Lincoln can lose and still finish 6th, 7th or 8th.

For Lincoln and Coventry to finish with identical records, we would have to lose 1-2 and Coventry 0-2 thus giving us similar goal differences of 64 - 49.

get rid of the playoffs in my opinion . I've never liked them since their inception .

That ship has well and truly sailed, in fact it left the quay decades ago.

Some of the inequity could be addressed, if the clubs that finished 4th and 5th played in an one legged semi PO at home against the clubs finishing 6th and 7th respectively. But, that ain't gonna' happen.

Last edited:
get rid of the playoffs in my opinion . I've never liked them since their inception . The table is based on results over the 46 games in the season , therefore the top 4 should go up . The bottom four are automatically relegated , so why not the top 4 automatically promoted .

still someone paid more money that i was obviously deemed it worth while , so they are there . How long before the teams down to 10 are involved :grinning:
It's a good job you don't watch Rugby League then.:grinning:
Bottom four meet top four from the league below and play each other once to produce a final table.Top three are promoted, bottom three relegated and the two teams finishing 4th and 5th play a one off game (the million pound game) and the winner goes up.

That ship has well and truly sailed, in fact it left the quay decades ago.

Some of the inequity could be addressed, if the clubs that finished 4th and 5th played in an one legged semi PO at home against the clubs finishing 6th and 7th respectively. But, that ain't gonna' happen.

Totally agree with you EB. Sailed and far out to sea and never to return .
Still doesn't mean I have to like them and won't watch them. Spring holidays etc

It's a good job you don't watch Rugby League then.:grinning:
Bottom four meet top four from the league below and play each other once to produce a final table.Top three are promoted, bottom three relegated and the two teams finishing 4th and 5th play a one off game (the million pound game) and the winner goes up.
You right i don't, Rugby Union man myself lol :loser: