The Robin Olsen Thread | Vital Football

The Robin Olsen Thread

Well, there are many clubs with worse backup keepers than this. I'm up for giving him a chance and don't think we can judge him after his debut of being thrown to the lions at a rampant Etihad on the final day. I can't actually think of a worse game to make your debut in let alone as a keeper that Man City away when they have to win to win the league.
Yes I get some think he's crap before he'd even played a game because he made the mistake of being at Sheffield Utd. If he'd come direct from Roma he'd have been fine

Well, there are many clubs with worse backup keepers than this. I'm up for giving him a chance and don't think we can judge him after his debut of being thrown to the lions at a rampant Etihad on the final day. I can't actually think of a worse game to make your debut in let alone as a keeper that Man City away when they have to win to win the league.
Yes I get some think he's crap before he'd even played a game because he made the mistake of being at Sheffield Utd. If he'd come direct from Roma he'd have been fine
He had some howlers at Roma too. Maybe he’s a decent keeper with the odd eye catching clanger in his locker.

Roma got him out on loan before his first season finished with them.
Been loaned out since with at best very mixed performances.

His record suggests he's pish tbh - hopefully he isn't needed.
Maybe he's just a filler and we've a younger keeper in the mix somewhere in preparation.

Last edited:

Maybe he's filler and we've a younger keeper in the mix somewhere in preparation
I took the liberty of setting the start point to his biggest howler for them

Maybe he's filler and we've a younger keeper in the mix somewhere in preparation

He's better than Jed Steer and not sure that a younger keeper is of any relevance, it's not really a position where youth is an advantage in fact probably the opposite.
There's a big problem with Keepers is good ones go on until your late 30s so not much opportunity for ones under 25. Leeds have a young one and I think he's totally erratic and that's me being nice

He's most likely a place holder till Sinsalo is ready to be our number 2. Sinsalo has apparently asked to go out on loan again instead of being 3rd choice.

57 is dead on that getting young keepers game time is a hard task. Filip Marschall had to go on loan at Gateshead to get game time and Akos Onadi who was so good in the Liverpool FA cup tie had to go to Bromsgrove to play week in week out. Sinsalo who is apparently rated as the best young keeper at the club chose to spend last season at Ayr Utd instead of playing for the under 23s.

The fact is you rarely get teams outside the super league sides with 2 top class keepers. As has already been mentioned even the likes of Liverpool and the oil tossers have back ups that I wouldn't want. The only team I could think of that have 2 very good keepers is man utd with De Gea and Henderson.

He had some howlers at Roma too. Maybe he’s a decent keeper with the odd eye catching clanger in his locker.

To be fair, most goalkeepers seem to make howlers at one stage or another, Alisson has made some of the biggest clangers I've ever seen (2 against City last season).

He must be decent if we're keeping him, he'll probably only play cup games anyway.

He's better than some first-choice keepers in this league, there are a bunch of keepers I don't rate at all. Dubravka is probably the best keeper after Martinez in the bottom half or maybe Pope. McCarthy, Meslier, Krul, Foster, Butland/Guaita, Pickford, and David Raya are the other names. I'd bet the house if you put Olsen in Burnleys team he'd be fine because all he'd need worry about is saving the ball.

Olsen just needs to be somewhere where he is valued and his form will come back. I think Cutler will work his magic with him but in any case he is definitely nothing more than a stopgap and someone to push Martinez on the training ground. IF we sell Martinez in one or two season I am fairly certain we'll be buying someone ourselves anyway.