The rise of Mason B | Vital Football

The rise of Mason B

MadAmster

Vital Squad Member
As you are all aware, I have always been a fan of Mason. He showed great potential as a kid, England youth caps, Derby debut at 15. I had seen for myself what he might become in my many trips to Moor Farm beteween 06 and 09. I saw his debut. I envisaged great things. What happened?

A body complaining about the rigours of the game I suppose. Season after season cut short through a huge catalogue of injuries and niggles. Fortunately he has been reasonably clear of those this season.

The facts are that he has not developed as a player as one might have suspected. The injuries are the underlying cause of that IMO. You develop as a player through playing. Since his debut in 2011 aged 15 and a bit he has not played a lot. His previous busiest season was 16 appearances in L1 with Burton in the 15/16 season.

Little wonder his development wasn't exciting anybody.

17/18. He was, IMO, unlucky not to start the opening game as he was one of the 2 best performing wide players in pre season along with Weimann. Come matchday JR got the nod. He fought his way into the team and...... injury struck again.

Despite all the problems, each and every manager kept him on. He wasn't let go. That means they saw something in him still. I know I did.

This season he again had a good pre season and was in the matchday squad, forced a start thorugh his play and..... got injured again. Came back and has been a great impact player this season forming a great duo down the right with Bogle when they play together. Frank also saw that "something". I think we should all be glad (and also very happy for Mason) that he has started to repay the faith he has been shown by a succession of gaffers.

30 appearances and counting this season. I hope this is the start of his path forwards to a decent career. He has worked hard and kept his chin up through years of injury heartache. In all honesty, I am as surprised as anyone that he is still here. Not many lads get the chances he has had considering his injury record.

I wish him well in the coming, hopefully, 3 games this season and the rest of his career and I hope that will be at Derby. I like the lad, but you knew that already.

To paraphrase Kevin Keegan, I'd love it, just love it, if he got the winner at Wembley on May 27th.

Latest Rams News