The retained list | Page 3 | Vital Football

The retained list

For what it’s worth, we have the basis of an exciting young squad. But several haven’t lived up to expectations. This could change under a new manager. But midfield was hideous last year, and only had any solidity when Bridcutt played. We desperately need maintenance in that area, and as much as I enjoy watching Bridcutt play and that which he brings to the team, and appreciate McGrandles terrier like work rate, I think either are replaceable.

Last edited:
So, by this logic, because we escaped relegation last year we probably will again this year with the same squad. Probably. We may finish higher, we may finish lower, than 17th. The problem with your analogy is that the car may not break down this year but it is unlikely to magically increase performance without a MoT and an overhaul.

....and it would need a fair few upgrades adding to it.

I know MA was a great coach because...everybody said so over and over.
My personal view was that the really good players did improve but for every improver there was at least the same number of disappointments. The turnover in the last three seasons seems to me to be quite high. Maybe thats wrong and its just normal these days but if i had the time and inclination it would be interesting to look at all the players who have been at the club in that time.
But as has been referred to you can take Archibald, Elbouzedi, Adelakun as an example. All players given contracts by the club who we presumably scouted extensively, assessed and reassessed, in an attempt to fill a role we have struggled with but all players that the manager at the time didnt give a proper opportunity to.
You never know maybe a different coach could actually improve some of the "also rans" in the squad.

In my view the job of a coach is to bring out the potential of the players he coaches.

You say the really good players did improve.

But that's surely the point...

Jorge Grant (whipped off at half time at Wimbledon - performance not good enough)

Tayo Edun (Not a left back - after 4-0 defeat against Sunderland)

Regan Poole (Only playing because TJ was going back to Spurs)

These are self evidently good players - now.

All the players who we buy are hunches or bets or might become a good player or might not...

....otherwise they would already be playing in PL/Championship team. Not all of those bets are going to come off.

A good coach turns the ones we get right into the player we hoped they might be.

He might also improve the other ones but only to the level they turn out to be capable of.

But as has been referred to you can take Archibald, Elbouzedi, Adelakun as an example. All players given contracts by the club who we presumably scouted extensively, assessed and reassessed, in an attempt to fill a role we have struggled with but all players that the manager at the time didnt give a proper opportunity to.

MA had a strange attitude towards wide players. As you say, Archibald, Elbouzedi, Adelakun must have been extensively scouted and MA must have agreed to their signings - yet it quickly became clear he had no confidence in them at all.

MA never liked his wingers to go down the line on the outside and get crosses in. He much preferred that they cut infield every time - like Whittaker.

MK I think may be different, with being an ex-wide player himself.

I disagree with the pessimism. There is a lot of potential in that squad as long as MK can drastically re-shape the midfield.

I can't see McGrandles and Bridcutt still being here, and hopefully Maguire will follow MA. So bringing in 3 quality midfield players combined with a slightly different way of playing and a better injury-free season, and we will do better than last season in my view.

The re-shape of the fitness/performance side is an important factor too.

In my view the job of a coach is to bring out the potential of the players he coaches.

You say the really good players did improve.

But that's surely the point...

Jorge Grant (whipped off at half time at Wimbledon - performance not good enough)

Tayo Edun (Not a left back - after 4-0 defeat against Sunderland)

Regan Poole (Only playing because TJ was going back to Spurs)

These are self evidently good players - now.

All the players who we buy are hunches or bets or might become a good player or might not...

....otherwise they would already be playing in PL/Championship team. Not all of those bets are going to come off.

A good coach turns the ones we get right into the player we hoped they might be.

He might also improve the other ones but only to the level they turn out to be capable of.

Fair point.
Despite odd poor performances now and again I had absolutely no doubt that Grant and Edun were really good players pretty much from the first time I saw them play mind you.

The assumption you have made is that the players who have not been so successful have reached their optimum performance level already which may not always be the case.
I think there were too many times that the returns on our gambles were not as good as they should have been. That hopefully may be about to change.

I think our forward options already look better and more exciting than start of last season. Defence struggled because of injuries but there is a decent defence there.

Midfield and wingers need a lot of work.

A window where I think offloading will be as important as recruitment.

I think our forward options already look better and more exciting than start of last season. Defence struggled because of injuries but there is a decent defence there.

Midfield and wingers need a lot of work.

A window where I think offloading will be as important as recruitment.
That seems a fair assessment, and MK will probably want some players of his own choosing. I think we all accept that the midfield needs major surgery.

That seems a fair assessment, and MK will probably want some players of his own choosing. I think we all accept that the midfield needs major surgery.

Yep, especially if we want to be pressing, midfield needs a lot of work.

Similar point to what’s been raised. There aren’t many (maybe only 1 or 2) that aren’t league 1 quality in that squad.

Different players thrive under different managers and different circumstances. Perfect example is Grant - under DC, very average winger. Under MA - fantastic CM. Can use Muldoon, Woodyard, Andrade as other examples.

So there may be some players leave but I don’t think it’s because they’re not good enough. I think it is only that MK isn’t the right coach for them. This also means there may be some still in the squad come July/August that the fans have been baying for them to leave and we just have to trust the new boss.

and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that on anyone’s part

Assuming it isn't going to be a crazy overhaul but more a few out and a few in, what do we absolutely need?

Just for the starting lineup I think we'd need a winger, at least 2 CMs, possibly a right back if Poole plays CB and a keeper? And that is me making some assumptions (McG won't stay, even if Bridcutt does he won't be able to play regularly, Archibald/Adelakun aren't starting wingers under Kennedy either)? The forward positions become particularly important if Hopper is the starting number 9 too, as we'd need goals from wide and midfield.

Attachments

• lineup.png
    lineup.png
    127.7 KB · Views: 25
Obviously might be a bit of hyperbole in there but MK interview says they will be talking to potential new signings in the next few days

Assuming it isn't going to be a crazy overhaul but more a few out and a few in, what do we absolutely need?

Just for the starting lineup I think we'd need a winger, at least 2 CMs, possibly a right back if Poole plays CB and a keeper? And that is me making some assumptions (McG won't stay, even if Bridcutt does he won't be able to play regularly, Archibald/Adelakun aren't starting wingers under Kennedy either)? The forward positions become particularly important if Hopper is the starting number 9 too, as we'd need goals from wide and midfield.
And under the assumption we want to play 4-3-3

And under the assumption we want to play 4-3-3

I did think that - I picked it just because it's basically the 4-1-4-1 Kennedy played at Macc bar wide players being 10 yards further back. Things might have vastly changed since then in his tactical thinking but I don't think even if we played a 3 it would vastly change the positions that need addressing. In that layout, RB would be RWB I guess, we'd still be light in CM, we'd want another CB and we'd want forwards to play around Hopper whether they were more central or wide.

I did think that - I picked it just because it's basically the 4-1-4-1 Kennedy played at Macc bar wide players being 10 yards further back. Things might have vastly changed since then in his tactical thinking but I don't think even if we played a 3 it would vastly change the positions that need addressing. In that layout, RB would be RWB I guess, we'd still be light in CM, we'd want another CB and we'd want forwards to play around Hopper whether they were more central or wide.

I am sure i read on the Stacey West Interview with Mark that his 3 formations of choice are 4-3-3, 3-5-2 or 3-4-3