The retained list | Page 2 | Vital Football

The retained list

I'm not entirely sure what many expected from this. Other than Jackson, who I think we all thought was out of contract as well, that only leaves the 4 mentioned. If we can get McGrandles re-signed that would be a coup I believe as he is a quality player. If you can get 30+ games out of Bridcutt that is also a big plus so why not consider an offer along a pay as you play with the added coaching aspect. We'd do well to replace him with a player of his ability for a similar amount of wages.

Those suggesting that players should be paid off, if you want to give the club the six figure amount that will entail per player, I'm sure they would be delighted to accept your offer.

And anyone even mentioning putting a bet on for us to be relegated kindly sod off to Peterborough

I'm not entirely sure what many expected from this. Other than Jackson, who I think we all thought was out of contract as well, that only leaves the 4 mentioned. If we can get McGrandles re-signed that would be a coup I believe as he is a quality player. If you can get 30+ games out of Bridcutt that is also a big plus so why not consider an offer along a pay as you play with the added coaching aspect. We'd do well to replace him with a player of his ability for a similar amount of wages.

Those suggesting that players should be paid off, if you want to give the club the six figure amount that will entail per player, I'm sure they would be delighted to accept your offer.

And anyone even mentioning putting a bet on for us to be relegated kindly sod off to Peterborough

I used the wording Paid off but for me that does not mean fully paid off though.

i was more thinking If a player is on £2500 per week and is offered £2000 elsewhere then a small pay off to help the deal go through and to make the wages up could be arranged.

With Bridcutt it could be play as you go or player coach or even just a Danny Cowley style offer.

interesting that they are in discussions with McGrandles as it implies he has not signed a pre agreement or perhaps his injury scuppered that.

to be honest you would expect all 28 to have their feet and teeth checked by the new boss before they are discarded

I used the wording Paid off but for me that does not mean fully paid off though.

i was more thinking If a player is on £2500 per week and is offered £2000 elsewhere then a small pay off to help the deal go through and to make the wages up could be arranged.
I believe there are savings to be had on NI contributions also for what it's worth.

The decision is not to release any players other than those whose contract has expired and even then we're looking to retain two of them. That makes our squad 28 strong if those two stay- supported by loans, that's 32-33 strong squad for next season. Not sure, unless a shed load move out in the transfer window, we will see much more movement inwards on permanent deals. Interesting times!

Well considering the best two players we had (apart from Poole) aren't in that retained list and the rest of that squad were only good enough to finish 17th in the League I would say that is worrying not interesting times.

There has to be some incoming players and I don't just mean 19 year old loanees. In particular experienced midfielders.

Well considering the best two players we had (apart from Poole) aren't in that retained list and the rest of that squad were only good enough to finish 17th in the League I would say that is worrying not interesting times.

There has to be some incoming players and I don't just mean 19 year old loanees. In particular experienced midfielders.

Until Cooper arrived, the Forest squad was only good enough for 4 points in 8 games and losing 6 of their first 7 games.

We have a good squad.

Judging players by what happened the previous season is like assuming your car won't breakdown this year because it didn't breakdown last year.

I don't think this list means a great deal. Mark Kennedy will need some time to assess the players. He may not have the full say on who goes or stays but will obviously have an input.
I will be amazed if all those on the retained list are still here at the start of next season. Not only will we want to move some players on the players themselves will also be looking to move.

Not sure why there’s a furore (from some!) about the fact we have 26 under contract for next season.

The following are all likely to be sent out on loan without a second thought: Hayden Cann, Elicha Ahui, Morgan Worsfold-Gregg, Oisin Gallagher.

So that’s down to 22 already.

Then the following players need to have a really impressive pre-season just to be in MK’s thoughts: Lasse Sorensen, Hakeeb Adelakun, Theo Archibald, Chris Maguire.

Now we’re looking at a squad of around 18-20.

Then there are the players who MK will want to take a closer look at before deciding what to do with them: Sam Long, Jordan Wright, Max Sanders, Freddie Draper, Charley Kendall.

Give him time to get players out and get players in.

Not sure why there’s a furore (from some!) about the fact we have 26 under contract for next season.

The following are all likely to be sent out on loan without a second thought: Hayden Cann, Elicha Ahui, Morgan Worsfold-Gregg, Oisin Gallagher.

So that’s down to 22 already.

Then the following players need to have a really impressive pre-season just to be in MK’s thoughts: Lasse Sorensen, Hakeeb Adelakun, Theo Archibald, Chris Maguire.

Now we’re looking at a squad of around 18-20.

Then there are the players who MK will want to take a closer look at before deciding what to do with them: Sam Long, Max Sanders, Freddie Draper, Charley Kendall.

Give him time to get players out and get players in.

Theo was an MK player at Macclesfield and was rated enough to be signed by us.

Appleton was a strange one in that he cast out players quickly look at Elbouzedi yet he kept Maquire. I best hope is that he gets a new job pronto and can take over his contract.

26 under contract is the headline figure but realistically, there are 8(?) very young lads there, most of whom will end up out on loan, and questions marks over potential sales (Poole, Scully?), whether others are good enough for L1 (Archibald, Sanders, Adelakun?) and perhaps those who won't fit the managers way of playing (Maguire?) so they'll probably be a little more wiggle room as the summer goes on.

I can only think that there's a chance McGrandles will stay if we've offered him something and the Bridcutt offer is surprising unless it's closer to a coaching role and a pay as you play kinda deal. Would have to be a huge wage cut I imagine for it to be feasible for us.

Thinking about it there can’t be much budget left.

If the budget is the same as the start of last season we have only lost

Melbourne
Fiorini
Griffiths

Potentially

Bridcutt
Mcgrandles

I presume a few will be offered pay offs or asked if they can find a new club For free Transfers
Maybe, but equally we had intended to sign Whittaker in August, so he might have been factored into the start of season budget.

I know MA was a great coach because...everybody said so over and over.
My personal view was that the really good players did improve but for every improver there was at least the same number of disappointments. The turnover in the last three seasons seems to me to be quite high. Maybe thats wrong and its just normal these days but if i had the time and inclination it would be interesting to look at all the players who have been at the club in that time.
But as has been referred to you can take Archibald, Elbouzedi, Adelakun as an example. All players given contracts by the club who we presumably scouted extensively, assessed and reassessed, in an attempt to fill a role we have struggled with but all players that the manager at the time didnt give a proper opportunity to.
You never know maybe a different coach could actually improve some of the "also rans" in the squad.

That's the spirit mate 🙄
No problem, best to have an honest assessment than naive cheerleading. However the hope is that there is a significant shift in the make up of the squad, at no expense/ pay offs and loaning them out with a reduction in financial expenditure. The more I think of it a third of the squad should go!

I know I will be in the minority here but I honestly believe the squad needs three things, teaking rather than an overhaul, a more consistent starting eleven (which was lacking due to the injuries) and the ability to compete against the more physical teams. I feel the second and third points might already have been addressed by bringing in the head of performance. As far as the first point goes we probaly need to trim three or four players at the bottom of the pack and replace them with players who can compete for places rather than be there to fill in. On the positive side our record against the top teams shows that we can compete them at this level.

Judging players by what happened the previous season is like assuming your car won't breakdown this year because it didn't breakdown last year.
So, by this logic, because we escaped relegation last year we probably will again this year with the same squad. Probably. We may finish higher, we may finish lower, than 17th. The problem with your analogy is that the car may not break down this year but it is unlikely to magically increase performance without a MoT and an overhaul.

Until Cooper arrived, the Forest squad was only good enough for 4 points in 8 games and losing 6 of their first 7 games.

We have a good squad.

Sorry but I don't agree that squad would be competitive in League 1 next season in fact I would go as far as to say that it would be close, if not in the bottom four.

Please anybody else tell me and justify how that squad would be competitive next season.

I don't think we have to worry about it too much though because I think the Chairman, the board of Directors, the DOF and more importantly the Manager himself know that that squad is not good enough and I think there will be a few comings and goings in the coming weeks.