Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 56 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

I've watched a hell of a lot of Villa games and goals from back when we had a team, all different eras and the one thing that hit me was how bloody good we were at moving the ball forwards with speed and accuracy.
None of this pissing about playing it around the back 4, at walking pace
It was pinging around quickly and the aim was to create a chance, not to see how many fecking times we could pass the ball
Watching games of yesteryear (always wanted to say that) and we generally had better players. Simple as.

I've watched a hell of a lot of Villa games and goals from back when we had a team, all different eras and the one thing that hit me was how bloody good we were at moving the ball forwards with speed and accuracy.
It was pinging around quickly and the aim was to create a chance, not to see how many fecking times we could pass the ball
Yep and another thing to note was how we actually managed to pass to someone on the same team! The number of times we give the ball away needlessly in the past 10 years or so really is quite something.

Watching games of yesteryear (always wanted to say that) and we generally had better players. Simple as.

Depends on when exactly. Long before my time but surely we had it worse in the late 60s when we plummeted from the 1st to the 3rd division in the space of a few years. We're currently a bit out of out depth at the top level as opposed to struggling to stay up in the 2nd tier.

Depends on when exactly. Long before my time but surely we had it worse in the late 60s when we plummeted from the 1st to the 3rd division in the space of a few years. We're currently a bit out of out depth at the top level as opposed to struggling to stay up in the 2nd tier.
Had a good manager in Tommy Docherty too. When he arrived we had high expectations amid the excitement of his appointment. But in the main it’s players that take you down and into the third we went, facilitating The Doc’s wonderful line, “I told you I’d get us out of the 2nd division!”

I was 10 when I first started going we were down the bottom end of the div2 but it was all very exciting to me and you have to realise we didn't have live TV football, so I was one of the few kids in my class who actually saw any professional football. It was probably crap but I'd got nothing to compare it too. A couple of black and white matches on match of the day was all we had. The Sports Argus was all the club news and reports we had.
The climb back from Div3 to European champions was something we just seemed destined for.

I cried my eyes out when we got relegated to Div3 , relegation is something I really don't want to experience again

I was 10 when I first started going we were down the bottom end of the div2 but it was all very exciting to me and you have to realise we didn't have live TV football, so I was one of the few kids in my class who actually saw any professional football. It was probably crap but I'd got nothing to compare it too. A couple of black and white matches on match of the day was all we had. The Sports Argus was all the club news and reports we had.
The climb back from Div3 to European champions was something we just seemed destined for.

I cried my eyes out when we got relegated to Div3 , relegation is something I really don't want to experience again

Me too. Someone bought me a inmemorium card draped in black. Never forget that!

My dad had been going with his dad in the early 60s and our first yearvin the second division was the first year he started going to away games with my uncle and their mates. They all assumed they'd batter everyone, win the league easily and be back in the top division the next year. After seeing us lose dismally to in his first ever away game he said they all suddenly had a deep sense of foreboding about the season ahead. Quite rightly to as it turned out.

My dad had been going with his dad in the early 60s and our first yearvin the second division was the first year he started going to away games with my uncle and their mates. They all assumed they'd batter everyone, win the league easily and be back in the top division the next year. After seeing us lose dismally to in his first ever away game he said they all suddenly had a deep sense of foreboding about the season ahead. Quite rightly to as it turned out.
Was that Norwich away? We were pathetic, losing toa Hugh Curran header. Dismal days, club was run by old duffers, likeable but in the wrong century.

Just looking at the league table and our remaining games.

I think the break/restart may well have been kind to us.

I think there are 5 teams in the middle of the table that pretty much have nothing left to play for and probably in that essence can't really be arsed to come back and will most likely be going through the motions.

I'm talking about Burnley, Palace, Everton, Newcastle and Southampton.

All pretty much safe from relegation (maybe Newcastle & Southampton need 1 more win), and all very unlikely to trouble the European spots.... I'm sure the players won't intentionally be going into games to take it easy, but subconciously, they must be feeling prety meh about restarting the season with nothing to play for.

Just so happens we have to play 3 of that 5 (Palace, Everton and Newcastle) so that's a really big opportunity for us to get points. I'm thinking if we can get our lot to treat them as cup finals, the opposition may well be treating them as training games.

Add to that Sheff U at home in the first game back which is like a cup final I think we have enough opportunities to get some points on the board to atleast make that last game at West Ham meaningful.

Are we down yet? Sounds like it from the poor commodities being forced to go out on the field.

Just looking at the league table and our remaining games.

I think the break/restart may well have been kind to us.

I think there are 5 teams in the middle of the table that pretty much have nothing left to play for and probably in that essence can't really be arsed to come back and will most likely be going through the motions.

I'm talking about Burnley, Palace, Everton, Newcastle and Southampton.

All pretty much safe from relegation (maybe Newcastle & Southampton need 1 more win), and all very unlikely to trouble the European spots.... I'm sure the players won't intentionally be going into games to take it easy, but subconciously, they must be feeling prety meh about restarting the season with nothing to play for.

Just so happens we have to play 3 of that 5 (Palace, Everton and Newcastle) so that's a really big opportunity for us to get points. I'm thinking if we can get our lot to treat them as cup finals, the opposition may well be treating them as training games.

Add to that Sheff U at home in the first game back which is like a cup final I think we have enough opportunities to get some points on the board to atleast make that last game at West Ham meaningful.

Have been thinking that. These 10 games give us plenty of opportunity to get out of it. Think we need to go out there with a regained appetite for scoring goals, particularly against the teams you mentioned. Caution is going to get us nowhere.

Have been thinking that. These 10 games give us plenty of opportunity to get out of it. Think we need to go out there with a regained appetite for scoring goals, particularly against the teams you mentioned. Caution is going to get us nowhere.

Think having SJM back and driving us forward will help in that regard.

Caution is going to get us nowhere.

Totally right. From the get go, they have to go for this. They haven't exactly sounded up for it though, unlike the few interviews I saw by Blades players linked the other day.

But spot on, caution will only do one thing, see us relegated with a whimper.

What an old fashioned, outdated concept that is 57.:grinning:

The way other teams approach their remaining games will have a bearing on our fate. You can expect those around us to go full out but what will be the attitude of the others? If Liverpool have wrapped their title up they might start resting players straight away. Midtable scufflers might try a punt for a Euro place. Teams in the F.A. Cup might start prioritising that competition. Others might be on their deckchairs or fed up with being dragged back from their extended mid winter/ spring break. Interesting times.
I just hope our lot are well geed up for a muck and nettles series of cup finals.
Nearly got all the cliches in.

The way other teams approach their remaining games will have a bearing on our fate. You can expect those around us to go full out but what will be the attitude of the others? If Liverpool have wrapped their title up they might start resting players straight away. Midtable scufflers might try a punt for a Euro place. Teams in the F.A. Cup might start prioritising that competition. Others might be on their deckchairs or fed up with being dragged back from their extended mid winter/ spring break. Interesting times.
I just hope our lot are well geed up for a muck and nettles series of cup finals.
Nearly got all the cliches in.

Just missed out "every game is a cup final" and "this is a real 6 pointer" to have the full set I think.