The Relativity of Time | Vital Football

The Relativity of Time

Skoorb

Alert Team
When is taking too long to get the ball back into play out of order?

Ederson’s booking at the end of the game as it entered added time. Did he take any longer than Foster did at the start of the game when it was nil-nil?

There were 17 seconds between the ball going out of play and Ederson being carded for ‘time wasting’ (delaying the restart). I counted. At the start of the game in the 2nd minute after David Silva skied his shot over the bar Ben Foster took 27 seconds to get the ball back into play but was not booked. I dare say that he took equally as much deliberation over every subsequent goal kick he took until City took the lead but was not challenged by the referee (or commentators) on this tardiness.

Seems somewhat imbalanced to me and the referee appeared to apply a variable time limit before acting.

Many times we play teams there is zero sanction for the time wasting committed early on in games when the scores are level as opposing teams try to take the sting out of City’s pressure. Referees do**ck all about this, they never bat an eyelid.

Is this acceptable?

Just checked. Foster’s second goal kick took 31 seconds from the ball going out to him hoofing it back into play.

I thought so.

In added time we won the ball and Sane was chasing the ball, contested it with Cholevas (?) I think, no foul as far as I could see but he took to the turf and Tierney was only too happy to award the home team another free kick. Laporte's first challenge saw the immensely strong Deeney seek the dirt even though the contact didn't appear illegal but Tierney was very happy to award the free kick when he had failed to do so previously when Sane and Silva had been caught.

The willingness to react when 'time is at a premium' as the game winds down has always puzzled me.

I don't mind a bit of time wasting if I'm honest,it's just like keeping the ball by the corner flag in 90+ mins when you are 1-0 up,it's always happened for as long as I can remember,if you can get away with it,do it

I don't mind a bit of time wasting if I'm honest,it's just like keeping the ball by the corner flag in 90+ mins when you are 1-0 up,it's always happened for as long as I can remember,if you can get away with it,do it

The taking of throw-ins has been discussed before in terms of time wasting and territorial gains. the first guy picks it up and walks a couple of meters (yards in old money) he then drops the ball and the next guy does the same and by the time the third one comes along it's nowhere near where it went out and 2 mins have passed.

Yeah but it depends on whether it's you or the opposition taking the throw in which deems it as time wasting or not ;)

Maybe it's only the opposition's time wasting and not our own that we remember,think about the times that you are 1-0 up and then 6+ added minutes comes up on the board,those six minutes seem like ten and you start to whistle to the ref on four minutes but to the opposition fans the time will flash by,tbh I've whistled to the ref to blow his whistle when Notts are losing just to ease the pain but that's another matter

The taking of throw-ins has been discussed before in terms of time wasting and territorial gains. the first guy picks it up and walks a couple of meters (yards in old money) he then drops the ball and the next guy does the same and by the time the third one comes along it's nowhere near where it went out and 2 mins have passed.
Maybe it's only the opposition's time wasting and not our own that we remember,think about the times that you are 1-0 up and then 6+ added minutes comes up on the board,those six minutes seem like ten and you start to whistle to the ref on four minutes but to the opposition fans the time will flash by,tbh I've whistled to the ref to blow his whistle when Notts are losing just to ease the pain but that's another matter

All teams do it CP, I would like to see the rule, you pick it up you throw it.

forgot to add, it is quite rare for us to time waste these days, but if a clock was introduced as they do in Rugby then time wasting would disappear overnight, but unlike they do in Rugby League, I would like to see the ball out of play before the final whistle.

Talking of 90+ minute games where you wish it would end,do you think that 'Fergie Time' really existed,could Alex tapping his watch really influence a ref when to blow his whistle? Surely the officials wouldn't be looking at him waiting for the nod that time was up,having said that the greatest title win in recent memory must have been when City snatched the the crown in added time from Utd,it's stuck in my memory even though i had no interest in who came top so it must be special to City fans,where would you put it in best goals in City's history?

I believe Fergie time did exist, one of our members did a reaseach on referees and United, The post has since been deleted with the new forum but essentailly it proved that if you made a mistake then you did not do another United match for a couple of years and each time they were reinstated United were awarded a penalty conicidence?

Fergie time did indeed exist. Rags all boasted about their never-give-up spirit. Bollox. If they need a goal the ref let them play on til they got it. If they were winning the whistle blew on the dot of full time.

So many great goals CP that you remember, whist Aguero's goal is a ranked up there, I have to pick Dickov's goal against Gillingham, if we had not won that game we may still be there in the old 2 division now, where we blast away the chants from Opposing Fans 'Where were you when you were shit' by still holding the record average attendance for the old 2nd division of 30.000+

forgot to add, it is quite rare for us to time waste these days, but if a clock was introduced as they do in Rugby then time wasting would disappear overnight, but unlike they do in Rugby League, I would like to see the ball out of play before the final whistle.

That might take some time if we have the ball ;)

BD has hit the nail on the head - the failure of officials to be consistent.

The starting point for the thread was why did one keeper get booked for taking 17 seconds to get the ball back into play whilst his opposite number in the other goal regularly took up to nearly twice as long to do so earlier in the match without sanction?

We all know though that the issue is not the amount of time taken - the referees regularly indicate they will take sluggish substitutions etc into account (a 'minimum of X minutes' allows this) - rather it is the disruption to the flow of the game with the delaying team wanting to take the heat out of the game, to slow the momentum of their opponent.

I have regularly watched opposing keepers bimble about inside the first fifteen minutes, selecting the perfect blade of grass upon which to place the ball, deciding that it was not quite perfect enough and so going back, moving the ball just a fraction to the side because it wasn't pristine, spinning the ball to ensure that they are going to strike the exact panel on the ball that they like, wander back to their goalpost and then enter into elaborate boot cleaning routines to remove all the muck and filth which we all know collects on the soles of their boots these days as the Premier League goalmouths and six-yard boxes resemble ploughed fields after a heavy rain......then they wait, waving frantically whilst they wait for all their players to shuffle across to the side of the pitch they intend to kick to........and then they launch the ball forward.

I just really wish that the officials would be as alive to this tactic throughout the game. Stopping your opponent from scoring early and changing the game dynamic is perfectly legitimate ('Don't concede early') but I think what this is driving me towards is why is this regarded as ok in the first 75 minutes but not in the final 15 + added time when the objective is similar (avoid conceding)?

There seems to be a logical problem here. In both cases the object is the same - avoid getting the ball back into play for as long as possible to prevent opportunities to concede a goal. Why do officials only seem to take action at the end of a game?