The Recipe Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Recipe Thread

Is there much difference nutritionally between Cous Cous, Quinoa and Bulgar Wheat?

For me they all do the same thing, I'd happily use any of them.

I've always used a lot of Cous Cous, but everyone talks about the benefits of Quinoa so thought I'd give that a try and thats fine too.

Would be interesting to know which if any is better for you, or do they all contain different nutrients so it's better to have a balance of them all?

Just never fancy the vegetarian dishes, they always seem lacking something, meat! That as the base, with some nicely cooked meat, I'd probably love the sound of.

Quinoa was billed a superfood, which usually is nonsense, just a trend. Not done any comparisons but doubt there is much difference.

We're all different I guess.

I do like meat as you know but I've never been the type to eat meat with every meal. I often used to choose the veggie option at work, and I'm going back 15-20 years before all this vegan/reduce meat rhetoric came about.

I just love food. All food. lol

Carbs tend not to fill me (as you know my appetite is large anyway) so maybe that is the reason.

The thing I have a problem with is meat substitutes.

Fake sausages, fake bacon, all that Linda Mcartney bollox.

If you want something that looks and tastes like meat, eat meat!!!

if you want a veggie option, use veggies and make something delicious from natures pantry, don't buy meat substitute.

Massive market now the race to have plant based beefburgers etc. Millions being spent

Jack fruit is set to be the next big thing.

Think I did a thread on the beef replaced beefburgers. I can half understand the environmental impact stuff but have to agree, if you want something that looks and tastes just like meat, eat meat! (health issues excluded from that sweeping statement)

Carbs tend not to fill me (as you know my appetite is large anyway) so maybe that is the reason.

Lentil curry?
Chickpea curry?
Quinoa Burgers (honestly mate, you know I love a good burger but these are awesome plus Quinoa is one of the most protein rich foods available.) Throw a fried egg on top. Bingo!
Greek Yoghurt? Goes great with a veggie stew.

I'm not trying to make you go veggie... far from it. I'd miss our curry and steak nights too much, but there are protein rich recipes out there that don't require meat and some of them are so tasty!

No thanks, ok with a bit of chicken with it

No thanks, I'd really rather not

Maybe worth trying if you can buy them

I do have Greek Yoghurt, I mix with protein shake for a nice pudding/snack

But it's also ok without a bit of chicken in.

Fair enough.

Buy them? So it's mainly down to being lazy? Nothing to be ashamed of, as you know I'm lazy with exercise, but it's not hard to cook something from scratch,

Yuk!

I cook a fair bit from scratch to be fair, I don't have manufactured ready meals etc.

But if I have a burger, I have it ready made, so don't see why I shouldn't if I have to try a Quinoa burger! lol I'll let you tell me the recipe and we'll see. I have a shelf life when pain is as high as it is now, for cooking. If things take too long to prepare and cook, I'm too knackered to want it

Potato, pea and yellow split pea curry tonight.

Very very nice in flavour, but I've never really been a fan of potato in curry. Nat always gets a Bombay Potato when we go out and I just don't get it.

I'll conceed to Fear on this one, it would have been gorgeous with a bit of lamb instead of the pots.

Just done my own version of a cottage pie. Nice quick version,

Cooked the beef mince with some black garlic, carrots and onion. Sprinkled half an oxo cube on it all. Then did the other half mixed with some water and tipped on with half a glass of wine. Left to condense and simmer.

Meanwhile, microwaved a pot of sainsbury mash spuds.

Tipped the beef into the bottom of a bowl and put the spuds in top and ate...

I could have put it in the oven to crisp the top but I'm not bothered by a crisp top.

So. Nice and quick, something different for me, and very tasty.

Baked potatoes , cheese, beans .
Prick the potatoes , roll in olive oil and salt to enjoy crispy flavoursome skins. Use a mature cheddar melted into the fluffy interiors . Heinz , it has to be Heinz beans .
Enjoy. Heaven.

Massive market now the race to have plant based beefburgers etc. Millions being spent

Jack fruit is set to be the next big thing.

Think I did a thread on the beef replaced beefburgers. I can half understand the environmental impact stuff but have to agree, if you want something that looks and tastes just like meat, eat meat! (health issues excluded from that sweeping statement)

That's why I'm thinking about getting into cooking. There is a restaurant in the centre of Dublin called Cornucopia. It's been there since I was a kid serving vegetarian food. Everything they make is delicious. It's one of my favourite restaurants and none of it is meat-substitute.

I'll make sure that the kitchen in the new place is fully loaded so I can cook some delicious vegetarian food.

Toad in the Hole with onion gravy tonight.

Tasted ok, but looked a bit anemic as the sausages were so tightly packed into a small oven proof dish they didn't colour.