The Recipe Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Recipe Thread

DeanoVilla - 9/2/2016 18:26

Home made spag bol tonight to line the stomach before the pancake assault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spaghettibolognese_67868

Will let you know what it's like.... just cooking for an hour now, so should be ready at 19:00

I dont use the jars. Never have, never will. They taste awful. Went to a friend once who used it for making a bol and smiled through gritted teeth to eat it. Takes no longer to make it from scratch.

For the benefit of any others I don't use wine or any alcohol in food that asks for it. I replace with cranberry juice.

I don't do alcohol in food either for obvious reasons

Funny you should mention alcohol in food.

I'm making a risotto tonight that requires white wine.

Buddy is now eating with us so wasn't sure about cooking with wine, but done a lot of research and it seems it is fine. All the alcohol is burnt off during the cooking process if it's cooked for over 30 minutes.

So Buddy will be getting his first tatse of wine tonight! He's such a mommys boy! lol

DeanoVilla - 10/2/2016 12:16

Funny you should mention alcohol in food.

I'm making a risotto tonight that requires white wine.

Buddy is now eating with us so wasn't sure about cooking with wine, but done a lot of research and it seems it is fine. All the alcohol is burnt off during the cooking process if it's cooked for over 30 minutes.

So Buddy will be getting his first tatse of wine tonight! He's such a mommys boy! lol

There's different schools of thought on it Deano. I personally wouldn't use it even if it has been cooked off. That' down to choice, as I know it's in there.

Alcohol though is in alot of things we don't even realise. It' in deodorants and so on. For some which was a shock to me they have to use deodorants etc. without them in, if there drinking has gone so far as it's a poison even sprayed on the skin.

Anyhow my main reason for posting was to say things like alcohol in a food can be substituted in food, if for whatever reason you can't use it or you haven't got it in.

Food is like paint, in the sense you mix paint and you can get different colours. You mix different foods and you get different tastes. Cooking is beautiful and something I have always loved doing

I on the other hand pretty much always order risotto if I go to a nice Italian. Pasta & Pizza are boring and easily done at home.

Risotto on the other hand is quite labour intensive to do at home, and also quite tricky to get right, so when you can have one made by experts I always make the most of it.

DeanoVilla - 18/1/2016 15:27

I'm making these tonight. Will let you all know if they are any good.

http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/epic-crispy-quinoa-burgers-topped-sweet-potato-fries-beer-caramelized-onions-gruyere/

Here you go POL. Made them twice now and they are really nice. Avoid the beer caramelized onions though they were rank. 2nd time I did them with sugar and balsamic vinegar instead and they were much nicer.

Thanks for that Deano. As I said, I've never heard of 'em.

Clicked on the link and saw the pics.... and had a bit of a read. Think I'll stick with my meat though.

They are nice mate. I'm a meat lover through and through. Can't beat a good steak of beefburger, so it has to be good to make me admit that a vege burger can be nice.

I shall give those burgers a try Deano, they look good.

Not a recipe folks but went for my usual stir fry ingredients and Sainsbury were out of stock of rice noodles... (it was on offer so of course there were none on the shelf, drives me mad!)

I digress.

Someone somewhere, probably in here was talking about spiralisers (making spag from veg)

Well, Sainsbury have a new range, courgetti (obvious what it comes from) and boodles (from butternut squash)

They are a triumph! I used them in the stir fry (pre-cut mixed chinese stir fry pack, half of both the above, 3 chillis and some chicken bits, herbs and spices as you like, I put a bit of JD sauce in and off I went)

Today I used the other half of both just raw whilst eating chicken drumsticks. Really nice. Nutritional, low in cals etc etc

The Fear - 28/2/2016 15:23

Someone somewhere, probably in here was talking about spiralisers (making spag from veg)

Well, Sainsbury have a new range, courgetti (obvious what it comes from) and boodles (from butternut squash)

They are a triumph! I used them in the stir fry (pre-cut mixed chinese stir fry pack, half of both the above, 3 chillis and some chicken bits, herbs and spices as you like, I put a bit of JD sauce in and off I went)

Today I used the other half of both just raw whilst eating chicken drumsticks. Really nice. Nutritional, low in cals etc etc

Indeed I was - love it! Good job mate, long may it continue!

I am trying to limit wheat/gluten (not easy as I LOVE pasta, and the GF stuff is shite) so sprialised veg is perfect.

You can have my Lemon Tart recipe....

Pastry (makes double so freeze half)

500g plain flour
140g icing sugar
250g butter
4 egg yolks

Filling
5 eggs
140g caster sugar
150ml double cream
100ml lemon juice +zest (about 3 lemons)

Pastry

Try not to work the pastry too much or it will be nasty.

mix flour and icing sugar then rub in the butter. Gently mix in the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of water.

roll into a ball and divide in half. Clingfilm both. Freeze half and put the other half in fridge for 30 minutes. (chilling helps stop cracking and shrinkage during cooking)

For filling

Beat the eggs, sugar, mix in cream and juice. Strain the mixture then add in the zest.

Roll out the pastry so its about as thick as a pound coin. grease your 23cm tin or use greaseproof paper, i normally use paper. Gently lay the rolled out pastry over the tin, starting at one side push the pastry into the bottom of the tin, working round until its all fitted nicely. Put in fridge for 30 minutes to chill again.

Blind bake the pastry for a good 10 minutes at 140 degrees C then remove the beans or rice or whatever you used and cook for 20 minutes empty. Then pour in the filling and cook for about 30 minutes.

Chill immediately after cooking.

Enjoy. :4:

You will need a high sided tin

This one will work nice

http://www.johnlewis.com/circulon-springform-round-cake-tin-dia-23cm/p230449991?sku=230449991&kpid=230449991&s_kenid=cee38ba3-702d-406e-9fb1-022e401a0fab&s_kwcid=404x1349944&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

Lemon mousse is much easier to make.

2 egg whites
140g caster sugar
1 lemon and zest
300ml double cream

whisk double cream, sugar and lemon juice and zest to a SOFT peak.

Now make sure the whisk and another bowl are spotlessly clean or it will be more difficult... whisk the egg whites to a STIFF peak.

Now fold the 2 mixtures together very gently. Don't overwork.

Chill for ten minutes at least then serve with some grated chocolate or some fruit.

:14:

Shortbread

175g plain flour
50g caster sugar
125g butter

Beat butter and sugar
gently mix in the flour

Roll out 1cm thick. Score the shortbread and trim the edges.

The less work you put in the better! The shortbread will all be lovely and crumbly if you mix in the flour with some care.

If you overwork it, it will be hard and nasty.

Dont cook 20 mini ones, cook 1 big one that you can snap up.

Bake for about 20 minutes at 175.

New Year New me and all that bollocks.

Have decided to try and improve my diet (once all the Roquefort is gone), so have decided that each week I will have a.....

Fish night
2 x Vegetarian Night
Egg Night

Then the other 3 nights just good wholesome home cooked food.

Last night was fish night. Really struggle with fish trying to make it tasty. I love Salmon but don't want it all the time. Finally last night I found a cod recipe that was really good and I'll be doing again.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/herb-garlic-baked-cod-romesco-sauce-spinach

The Romesco Sauce in particular was yummy. Worth a go if anyone here wants to eat more fish.

I love fish. So many easy ways to make it a quick meal. Salmon wrapped in foil, which has been sprinkled with olive oil, seasoning, lemon juice and basil or/and coriander is my favourite.

Maybe serve with a hollandaise sauce, garlic bread, salad, new potatoes or whatever floats your boat re calories etc.

The same for any fish, sprinkling of olive oil, lemon juice inc. zest of the lemon, coriander or/and basil and seasoning.

Fish is such a simplistic dish to cook easily and with no fuss