The 'Profit & Sustainability' Thread | Page 20 | Vital Football

The 'Profit & Sustainability' Thread

The way things are around Villa Park at the moment you can expect the parachute payment to cover the TV revenue and ground to be sold out week after week, season tickets remain the same price as you get 4 more home games a season. The sale of Grealish will cover any shortfall in expected revenue.
Would the ground be sold out? Without hhe likes of grealish mings etc. Unless we start well its hard to see that. Also 7 points would take us to 32. West ham went down with 40 one season. Might be the same this year....maybe not the west ham bit though!

I hope the owner are willing to back the club in the Championship as much as they have backed it in the Premiership. I have looked at the remaining fixtures and can only see seven points between now and the final game against West Ham.
35 points wont be enough to keep us up.
Oh I see what you mean...32 plus 3 at West Ham !

So the bottom line is we can spend what we like, get a 2-year ban from Europe which we won't be in anyway and just pay the fine in euros , which will soon be worthless sorted

Last edited:
Sorry if the answer seems obvious but the financial maze and convoluted rules of football administration leave me a bit foggy, if we are relegated, (God forbid), do the parachute payments reset to the previous levels?

Sorry if the answer seems obvious but the financial maze and convoluted rules of football administration leave me a bit foggy, if we are relegated, (God forbid), do the parachute payments reset to the previous levels?

Over to you @mikefield

Yes. As far as I'm aware anyway. So if we went down we'd get the same parachute payments we got in 2016/2017.

I wonder if that £30m paid by the Club to Lerner was intentional when the new guys bought the club or if Xia has just fucked off without paying up? Explicitly stating that Recon “defaulted” implies it was not pre arranged by the new owners - if that’s the case yet more proof that Xia was an absolute con man.

I wonder if that £30m paid by the Club to Lerner was intentional when the new guys bought the club or if Xia has just fucked off without paying up? Explicitly stating that Recon “defaulted” implies it was not pre arranged by the new owners - if that’s the case yet more proof that Xia was an absolute con man.

As I understood it , if Dr Bull defaulted the onus to pay was passed on to the club. We clearly couldn't with out Wes and Nas stumping up the money.

As I understood it , if Dr Bull defaulted the onus to pay was passed on to the club. We clearly couldn't with out Wes and Nas stumping up the money.

Surely that kind of payment would have been discovered by due diligence and priced into the deal?

Xia couldn't pay. So Wes and Nasef coughed up in exchange for Xia's share in Villa. When they bought the club Xia still retained around 45%, but that was diluted as they put capital into the club. Probably what they coughed up wasn't that different from the value of Xia's share. It got Xia out of the club; what not to like?

Yes, except that as we'd have only spent 1 year in the PL, we don't get the third year parachute payment.

Over to you @mikefield
...promotion to the Premier League is set to generate an additional £170 million over three seasons for the three clubs promoted from the Championship this year....even if the Canaries, Blades or Villains do face the drop in 2020, they will receive relegation parachute payments in 2020/21 and 2021/22 totalling around £75 million. The £170 million incremental revenue is therefore a combination of extra revenue which the Blades United would earn from playing in the Premier League in 2019/20 (at least an extra circa £95 million, mostly from broadcast and commercial revenue from the Premier League).
https://www.consultancy.uk/news/21572/promotion-to-premier-league-worth-170-million

I'd imagine Nas & Wes were completely eyes open about the possibility of having to cough up the Tweeters share.

All we need to know is we are Debt-free and within FFP regs, anything else is shit-stirring by people who want it not to be true for their own agenda. ie the Media.

Because of the way in which China opperates as a country it amazes me that the FA EFL etc santion any takeovers by Chinese buyers because they are all less than transparent and cannot be fully checked upon.

NSWE's input has been capital for shares so we don't directly owe them any debt per se. The headline loss won't be all FFP compliant either - not seen the accounts yet though but very much as we'd expect from running our own numbers for me.