The Premiership Cash Cow | Vital Football

The Premiership Cash Cow

With this sort of money up for grabs will we ever get rid of this gang of crooks.

That is in addition to the monies from Premier league status and TV ?
That's the TV money.

The additional revenue is divided basically into 3 (in reality 4) streams; TV, gate receipts (including season tickets) and commercial income.

The majority of TV cash, at least for clubs at our level, is paid in the first 2 instalments. The 3rd instalment includes prize money and extra games shown over the guaranteed payment level.

Commercial income is so varied but Ashley gets replica kit details sorted with his retail chain, catering is franchised out, shirt sponsorship will no doubt have bonus payments with extra TV coverage but I suspect most paid up front.

The 4th is in player trading which itself is subject to different accounting techniques. This is where revenue tends not to equal cash, like Sissoko's instalment deal.

I don't know if it helps but if you think about it, Sky gets its income monthly from subscriptions. It doesn't pay over the full amount at the end of the season. Clubs need to pay wage bills. Players are not going to play for nothing and hope they get a big pot at the end of the season.

Misreporting annoys me. No, NUFC haven't suddenly got a £120m+ bonus. They have been paid to provide a service to Sky through the year which Sky, BT and overseas companies make money out of selling on.

The club gets its 3rd payment which is topped up by prize money and extra coverage on TV. The £10m or so for extra coverage and £19.5m prize money over finishing bottom are the windfalls.

Excellent explanation Rexn, but where a lot of this money ends up isn’t much of a secret.

I think in West Ham’s case most of it got salted away, surely it is the same with NUFC, neither of us have splashed out much on signings which also eliminates agents fees. And this is just money from being in the Premiership, think of all the other millions that they rake in.

I wish football was like it was in the 80’s growing up.