The power of The Villa and mental health | Vital Football

The power of The Villa and mental health

randy.stand

Vital Champions League
Hi guys,

I know it’s been a little while since I was heavily active on here. I’ve popped my head in every now and again but life has got in the way at times. Bloody career and what not! How dare the National Health Service expect me to actually work for my wages! Disgrace. It’s this government.... but that’s for another thread.

Last couple of years I fell off the Villa wagon a little bit so to speak and went though some tough times, relative to me, probably nothing compared to other people’s tough times but obviously we are all very different and have different challenges throughout our lives. I starting to engage on Twitter a bit more about Villa and have met some great folks, some lads who I’ve started going to have a few beers with, attending away games with them etc. I got talking to this one young chap, Tom, who runs a blog discussing mental health in football and with Villa in particular. He’s been through some tough times and encouraged me to open up a little and so did. I’d appreciate if you gave it a read, close to the heart and all that: https://thevillaboysfromaston.blog/...ed-me-my-story/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Lastly, I’ve known a lot of you guys for a long long time and really appreciate your friendship, support and even the banter over the years. I promise to be more active in the Vital community from now on again. I’ve seen the light! UTV.

Simon.

Hi guys,

I know it’s been a little while since I was heavily active on here. I’ve popped my head in every now and again but life has got in the way at times. Bloody career and what not! How dare the National Health Service expect me to actually work for my wages! Disgrace. It’s this government.... but that’s for another thread.

Last couple of years I fell off the Villa wagon a little bit so to speak and went though some tough times, relative to me, probably nothing compared to other people’s tough times but obviously we are all very different and have different challenges throughout our lives. I starting to engage on Twitter a bit more about Villa and have met some great folks, some lads who I’ve started going to have a few beers with, attending away games with them etc. I got talking to this one young chap, Tom, who runs a blog discussing mental health in football and with Villa in particular. He’s been through some tough times and encouraged me to open up a little and so did. I’d appreciate if you gave it a read, close to the heart and all that: https://thevillaboysfromaston.blog/...ed-me-my-story/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Lastly, I’ve known a lot of you guys for a long long time and really appreciate your friendship, support and even the banter over the years. I promise to be more active in the Vital community from now on again. I’ve seen the light! UTV.

Simon.
There’s a new sheriff in town mate that’s me, When I get my admin wings In a couple of days I will manage your integration back into the board.

Respect and Regards The Admin Team

Hi Simon.....

I've just read your story. I can only agree with you. My story isn't quite the same, but knowing the Villa 'family' is there for you, backing you up when the going gets tough is so rewarding.

Regarding your circumstances, a good relationship is all about give and take. Anyone not prepared to is....... well, you know.

Enjoy the end of the season mate.... and the play offs and the oncoming seasons, wherever they take us.

Whatever happens in the future, there is always one constant...... Aston Villa and the Villa family which is the supporters.

Hi Simon

What an uplifting and inspiring story. As you say, Aston Villa is something special and it gets under your skin and once it is there it stays for good.
I was in a long term relationship in the late 70s and in 1980 we found out that mom was terminally ill and died in September (on my birthday). The girl that I thought was someone who I would be with for the rest of my life was not there for me when I was grieving - it was like losing my mom was trivial. Inevitably, we split up and who should cone to my aid - you've guessed it - Aston Villa. My dad and brother (now both HEITS) and I were devastated and trying to make sense of the world and Villa provided the support to get us through with a league title and European Cup. We may have got through without that wonderful team and manager, but they made it so much easier. It was the European final that brought me and my wife together and we have been married 35 years this year.
Be strong and let's hope that this team and manager can do something special for us all this year.
UTV
VTID
HEITS

Simon I am glad that you have weathered the storm and come out stronger for the battering. At the game on Saturday I had driven three and half hours to get to the match. The chap sat beside me had come all the way from Chelmsford in Essex, a season ticket holder. Another guy sat by us had come across from Wales.
I am aware that people on this forum come from all over the UK, some season ticket holders, who dont miss a match, others get to games as and when they can. We have fans all over the World. Our lives and our jobs take us away from our roots but the anchor that is Aston Villa keeps on dragging us back and is a constant in our lives.
Keep up the good fight Simon, and hopefully some Premier League games await you next season on your away days.

Hi guys,

Simon.
Fair play to you , I remember watching villa blues on Halloween about 9 years ago after being shat on from a great height a few days earlier , I wasn’t even that bothered about the result , that lasted about 2 months when it became life and death again ? I’m a newbie in here but looking forward to discussing the greatest club in the world with you anytime .

Damn it Simon, you made me cry. I’m so proud of you and the man you’ve grown up to be. When you’ve met the right person they won’t want you to give up anything that is such a big part of your life.

*Don’t get mad but I still think of you as the tall, somewhat shy 15 year old I met at a Vital Villa meetup so many years ago. :wave:

Damn it Simon, you made me cry. I’m so proud of you and the man you’ve grown up to be. When you’ve met the right person they won’t want you to give up anything that is such a big part of your life.

*Don’t get mad but I still think of you as the tall, somewhat shy 15 year old I met at a Vital Villa meetup so many years ago. :wave:

Haha thanks siggy! I was very quiet & shy as a 15 year old. The good old days though meeting up in The Holte.

I don't comment on the forum as much as I should do (much more of a Twitter user currently) but I still actively check up on the goings on on here and always enjoy reading peoples opinions on all things Villa.
I digress...Villa has played a huge part in coping with my own mental health, attending games and interacting with fans gives me that 90 minutes away from the everyday struggles and it makes me wish I could afford to go to every home and away game as it acts as some sort of therapy for me as funny as it sounds. It sounds as though what your going through is more or less mirroring what has happened with me. Feel free to drop me a message if you ever need to talk mate from one Villa fan to another! :cheers:

Powerful stuff Randolph.

I think we all need a way of releasing whatever is troubling you and whether it be supporting Villa or something else it can certainly play a huge part .

I know when my Dad died I found myself getting more angry or emotional at Villa games for a long time after and I probably made an idiot of myself at times , but I came to realise it was a way of getting rid of my grief etc and to be honest I would rather have done that at Villa than at home .

Anyway good to see you posting again. From time to time you do make some sense.

In a life that can sometimes seem full of compromise, uncertainty and disappointment, the Villa and her family have been a constant comforting presence and a permanent reminder of times and people past.

Onwards and upwards Simon, onwards and upwards. Keep fighting. Let's hope good times that we can all share are just around the corner . VTID :utv:

Simon, having known you for many years, I can confirm that you are one of the nicest people I know, and you even have the patience to put up with DaveM , which confirms your legendary status.
In fact here’s a photo of you attempting to ignore him at Southampton a few years back by staring at your phone! CCEE9D08-F347-4232-91AB-64B1B2CC3ADD.jpeg

Simon, having known you for many years, I can confirm that you are one of the nicest people I know, and you even have the patience to put up with DaveM , which confirms your legendary status.
In fact here’s a photo of you attempting to ignore him at Southampton a few years back by staring at your phone! View attachment 32574

Thanks trekker. Haha I have never ever seen that photo before, I didn’t realise we became famous that day. 6-1 defeat, must not have kicked off Judging by my smile.

Thanks trekker. Haha I have never ever seen that photo before, I didn’t realise we became famous that day. 6-1 defeat, must not have kicked off Judging by my smile.
Was that the game where Saints just kept knocking it over the top into the space behind the back four and we just let them do it.