The (Possible Premature) Official Welcome Back Michael Dawson Thread | Vital Football

The (Possible Premature) Official Welcome Back Michael Dawson Thread

Pope John XXIII

Vital Football Legend
Supposed to be signing today or tomorrow according to various sources, including the Post.

I for one am delighted to see him back.

He came as the young apprentice under the tutelage of the old master (Des Walker). Now he returns as the old master himself.

Note that Walker was two years older than Dawson when he arrived and gave us two great seasons. I reckon we will get at least 2-3 good seasons out of Michael.

Last edited:
Yeah just what we need at the back.An organiser and good header of the ball.If we are to compete this season we have to be able to deal with set pieces and crosses.

Robbo, Webb, Clough, Walker, Pearce, JJ, Reid and now Dawson all returned safely home.

Only Davenport, Collymore, Anonio, Burke, Britt and Agogo outstanding to right the wrongs of the past.

Peter Davenport's tranfer really hurt me as a boy. I was gutted for a long while after. Maurice Rowarth declared a week earlier he was going nowhere - that didnt help. :shake:

Let's hope this isn't more spoiled memories...

It will be interesting to see how AK handles the centre of defence. One of the few positives out of his first 6 months was seeing Fox and Fig begin to build a partnership.

Then of course there is Worrall, he clearly needs game time and experience but it's hard to see him as anything other than 4th choice at the moment.

Comparisons to Walker are also a touch irrelevant as Des was several classes above Dawson.

To be fair though CP they are different types of centre halves.Old fashioned tackler,good in the air whilst the other had more sweeping qualities with great pace and good timing.

Because Des was able to compensate for his failing body with one of his greatest strengths which was his ability to read a game. We're talking about one of the greatest England centre halves in the last 30 years and as decent as Dawson is he doesn't come close.

When Dawson shines he tends to be a bit more of an 'all action' player. It might well be great for us and Worrall but the comparisons are a bit redundant as they're very different players.

John Terry might be a more apt comparison stylistically (and obviously a better player than Daws) and he didn't set the world alight last season. Solid but statistically no better than Fox or Fig.

Perhaps I say this just because he was / is a Forest player, but I can’t help thinking that Dawson deserved a few more England caps. Obviously the likes of Terry, Ferdinand etc were a cut above but surely he was a better option than Upson, who was hapless in the 2010 World Cup.

Dawson in his prime was excellent for spurs. Always seem to have to contend with the stigma of having come up from the championship though.

John Terry might be a more apt comparison stylistically (and obviously a better player than Daws) and he didn't set the world alight last season. Solid but statistically no better than Fox or Fig.

Quite true but there are no statistics for influence, both on and off the pitch; a characteristic that was mentioned on countless occasions during Terry's move to Villa and will no doubt be mentioned in relation to Dawson.