The Population Problem | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Population Problem

Well QE goes the financial route on the thought it will then be loaned, but banks et al just secure their bottom line rather than lending and when they do, it's to sure things rather than risks - and even if it did go risky lending route (ie SME's/individuals) it's still bank focused with interest. QE as a thought process is fine, but it's enacted wrong.

It would serve far more good if they used it to offset a 5% drop in VAT that benefited both the individual and smaller companies and took the big boys out of being the main focus.

Christ the last round of QE would've done more good if the Gov had just spunked £500 into everyone's bank account and said 'have a good weekend'.

Well QE goes the financial route on the thought it will then be loaned, but banks et al just secure their bottom line rather than lending and when they do, it's to sure things rather than risks - and even if it did go risky lending route (ie SME's/individuals) it's still bank focused with interest. QE as a thought process is fine, but it's enacted wrong.

It would serve far more good if they used it to offset a 5% drop in VAT that benefited both the individual and smaller companies and took the big boys out of being the main focus.

Christ the last round of QE would've done more good if the Gov had just spunked £500 into everyone's bank account and said 'have a good weekend'.
A helicopter drop would have been an interesting experiment. Fears of inflation is why QE was seen as more viable. Obviously if you just effectively give banks money they're going sit on a lot of it and deploy it all on risky ventures.

It's interesting that mainstream media like The Guardian are catching on to what's happening. I'd expect we'll start seeing 'the sky is falling' type stories being published at an increasing rate. They made a good point though, a very large part of the fall in population is because women have more control over reproduction. Some callous states are going to try to brow beat women into having more kids or perhaps worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...at-happens-if-humanitys-ranks-start-to-shrink

merged my thread into this one, didn't realise there was an existing thread!

Interesting dilemma when it is the under 30's that are needed and the old living too long but there won't be the wealth to look after them. Luckily, I'll be long gone so don't think I will worry my pretty little head about it too much!

This article predicts China's population will decline by 48% by the end of this century and 1/3 of all houses in Japan will be abandoned by 2033.

Overall, the global population will continue to grow but all of the growth is in sub-Saharan Africa.

Rural areas around Europe are being rapidly depopulated. It doesn't mention the UK but it must be the same there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...animals-prowl-in-our-abandoned-ghost-villages

This article predicts China's population will decline by 48% by the end of this century and 1/3 of all houses in Japan will be abandoned by 2033.

Overall, the global population will continue to grow but all of the growth is in sub-Saharan Africa.

Rural areas around Europe are being rapidly depopulated. It doesn't mention the UK but it must be the same there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...animals-prowl-in-our-abandoned-ghost-villages

Yeah, it won't mention the UK as our population is going up I'd imagine. With all the illegal immigrants/ 'asylum seekers' still coming, even covid won't stop the figures going up.

Yeah, it won't mention the UK as our population is going up I'd imagine. With all the illegal immigrants/ 'asylum seekers' still coming, even covid won't stop the figures going up.
The flip side to this is that with an aging population and declining birth rates we're going to need more people coming in if want to sustain economic growth.

It won't be long before governments are providing incentives for people to migrate to their country.

There is this bit

The fertility rate is also falling dramatically in England and Wales – from 1.9 children per woman in 2012 to just 1.65 in 2019. Provisional figures from the Office for National Statistics for 2020 suggest it could now be 1.6, which would be the lowest rate since before the second world war. The problem is even more severe in Scotland, where the rate has fallen from 1.67 in 2012 to 1.37 in 2019.

Interesting article @BodyButter Half the human population, worldwide, would probably make the planet sustainable for both us and all the other wildlife.

As the rural population declines, old fields and neglected gardens are reclaimed by wildlife. Sightings of Asian black bears have been growing increasingly common in recent years, as the animals scavenge unharvested nuts and fruits as they ripen on the bough.

Closer to home, in the EU, an area the size of Italy is expected to be abandoned by 2030.

86.1%

White British is an ethnicity classification used in the 2011 United Kingdom Census. In the 2011 census, the White British population was 51,736,290, 86.1% of the UK total population (NB: This total includes the population estimate for Northern Ireland, where only the term 'White' is used in ethnic classification.

White British - Wikipedia

My wife's Japanese friend is paying someone to live in her mother's house in Japan so that the place doesn't fall apart.

Is negative rent going to be a feature of the future?