The Population Problem | Page 17 | Vital Football

The Population Problem

Here's something interesting. I keep getting online ads for moving to Canada. That's not something I'm interested in. But Canada is trying to attract skilled workers (and me).

This is going to become an increasingly competitive market for global talent. America has a huge advantage in this with Silicon Valley being able to attract top talent from around the globe.

Australia and the UK also have a huge advantage here. They have enormous markets for international students. The best and the brightest from all over the world want to study in the UK and Australia (Australia mostly attracts Asians). Making it easy for university graduates to get work visas is a huge shortcut to easy tax revenue for the government.

The Germans are giving free tuition (no fees) to foreign university students. That's a pretty attractive deal.

I would guess Australia already has something in place to attract their university graduates to stay but I don't know much about it.

I would also guess that this Tory government is actively trying to make it difficult for foreign graduates of British universities to stay and work.

would also guess that this Tory government is actively trying to make it difficult for foreign graduates of British universities to stay and work
Here you go , everything you ever wanted to know about working in the UK. 🤣🤣🤣🙋

Reuters estimates that China's population will fall from around 1.4bn today to 500m by 2100. It's an unprecedented population collapse and is going to destroy their country.

The CCP has been aware of this issue for a while but it's more gentle efforts to address the problem have failed. They got rid of the one child policy, the two child policy and now Chinese people are free to have as many children as they want (such wonderful freedoms afforded to the Chinese people could only be bestowed by the infinite wisdom of the CCP).

They are now taking on a campaign to "strengthen guidance on young people's views of marriage, childbirth and family". That means scrubbing the Chinese internet of references to people living happy, single lives and filling it with references about everyone wanting to get married and have children.

Xi told the CCP's Women's Organisation to "prevent and resolve risks in the women's field". While it's not entirely clear what that means, one commentator reckoned that it's the CCP seeing single women as a risk to the state.

It's not that long since the CCP was forced sterilising women who were guilty of repeated pregnancies.

I'm wondering how long it will be before we start seeing forced pregnancies.

Japan has been way ahead of the curve on this issue. They have been completely ineffective in doing anything about it. The Chinese are much more "aggressive" when it comes to issues like this. I don't know if they can do anything about it but they will definitely try. A lot of governments around the world are going to be paying attention to see if the Chinese can come up with a solution.

Ask 72-year-old farmer Huanchun Cao about his pension and he reacts with a throaty cackle.
He sucks on his home-rolled cigarette, narrows his brow and tilts his head - as if the very question is absurd. "No, no, we don't have a pension," he says looking at his wife of more than 45 years.

Trite is the wrong word, but sarcastic doesn't do it either - could this be a partial answer to their unoccupied housing problem?

The lack of pension (let alone personal wealth), they get a flat free that passes to the kids for wealth (if they have kids to qualify), and they shoehorn social care into it (creating more jobs), and creating communities from nigh on nothing that would at least be low key social jobs on top (food, drink, corner store etc).

For me, that would still be a massive short term plaster but it would work under the CCP in status quo terms and buy them 10/20 years more before things truly go tits up?