The players we should have bought late sixties to late 70s | Vital Football

The players we should have bought late sixties to late 70s

Timbo1882

Vital Reserves Team
The cup winning glory of 1967 soon faded into a barren embarassment. If you had the Spurs cheque book and you could have bought two players every two years from 1968 until 1976 to have kept us as a top club; who would they be?

1968 Jeff Astle, Brian Labone
1970 Kevin Keegan, Johnny Giles
1972 Mick Channon, Keith Newton
1974 Malcolm McDonald, Trevor Brooking
1976 Laurie Cunningham, Tony Currie
1978 Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness

Last edited:
1968 Jeff Astle, Brian Labone
1970 Kevin Keegan, Johnny Giles
1972 Mick Channon, Keith Newton
1974 Malcolm McDonald, Trevor Brooking
1976 Laurie Cunningham, Tony Currie
1978 Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness

I've love to join in, but unfortunately before my time.

I would remind you though that Bill Nich did have Souness. We sold the homesick lad to Boro in 1972 and he apparently made one appearance.

It's also mad to think that Des Walker was also at Spurs and was released as a 16/17 year old. Bill Nich, working with the kids was also trying to get him to have a hair cut apparently. Des didin't agree.

I would remind you though that Bill Nich did have Souness. We sold the homesick lad to Boro in 1972 and he apparently made one appearance.

It's also mad to think that Des Walker was also at Spurs and was released as a 16/17 year old. Bill Nich, working with the kids was also trying to get him to have a hair cut apparently. Des didin't agree.
Oh! your only a nipper then muttley lol!

Timbo am still perusing and thinking, its doing my head n memory in lol!

Yea, I heard Souey say that he was terrified of Perryman and Phil Holder (who only played a handful of first team games) as they were the hardest midfield bastards in the FA Youth Cup which we won around 1970. I heard Lineker say that Walker was going through a development stage where he lost his pace and coaches never know whether it will come back, so they got rid and then his pace came back.