The players and managers speculation thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The players and managers speculation thread

I think it’s very naive to think extending players’ contracts is in the club’s gift. Of course you can offer more money but that’s unlikely to be the deciding factor unless we can offer salaries that are unrealistic. Players don’t want to bugger their own chances by signing up to longer term contracts that mean they can’t take better opportunities that come along either in terms of much higher salaries or moving to clubs in higher divisions. If you sign players with no ambition, you get what you deserve.

I just noticed that that national league top scorer is Bromley's 29 year old Michael Cheek.i watched his goals on you tube he seems a very cool finisher especially one on one.Normally 23 goals for a team like Bromley in the national league would probably get you a league club.But he is 29 strangely judging on the finishes only I think he might be worth a punt but possibly league two and not league one. Bromley probably need to win their last game v Notts county next week to have a chance of the play offs.Even then Eastleigh have a extra match midweek so it could be that Eastleigh will be 2 points above Bromley by the time Bromley play again.

Not looking for trouble. We as you admit simply can't compete financially if a player is successful so renewals become impossible for our very best players.We might however have a chance with a player like O'Keefe who slips under the radar a little.
Yes this is true, but earlier in the thread you suggested that Scally doesn't try to renew the contracts of our better players.

Just a few things to add.

As others have said, we can offer new/extended contracts with better terms as much as we want. If an in form player has his agent in his ear claiming bigger clubs with a good signing on fee and better wages are interested then it don’t matter what we offer, we’re bollocksed.

Listening to the stimpson interview the other week (thanks again MarkinKent for pointing it out) he said Charlton offered a huge sum for Simon king. It was his call whether we sold him or not, PS gave him the choice. Stimpson said let’s build the team around him, they gave him a new contract, tripled his wages then he played that bloody Bromley game and never recovered. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t......
Dack wasn’t sold when we were flying high. As with Graham this year.

As a few have said earlier, I do think if Scally can see improvement and a professionalism emanating from the players and management team then he will butt out and back them. That has clearly happened under Evans. Most managers all state what a good chairman he is to work under. Again, even after getting sacked Stimpson only had good words about him. As did Taylor the first time, Hess, Martin Allen too I think. I feel the “interim” managers, the ones just keeping things afloat until we get the funds for a crack at promotion maybe don’t get afforded the same control. The likes of Adie, jepson and Lovell.

I hope that £2M for Dack has been exaggerated as its been passed on. We should never turn down £2M for any player. That's the sort of money that would secure the club for years.

I agree whole heartedly with your last sentence though as I do with your name !!!
I can’t swear to it Mark but a good friend of mine plays golf with someone connected to Ipswich and that’s the figure he gave.

I think it’s very naive to think extending players’ contracts is in the club’s gift. Of course you can offer more money but that’s unlikely to be the deciding factor unless we can offer salaries that are unrealistic. Players don’t want to bugger their own chances by signing up to longer term contracts that mean they can’t take better opportunities that come along either in terms of much higher salaries or moving to clubs in higher divisions. If you sign players with no ambition, you get what you deserve.
Case in point. Tucker is interesting Hull and Peterborough apparently. If we try to get him to sign a long term deal now we are asking him to give up on ambitions for that period unless he thinks we are nailed on for promotion next season. Choices are to get a decent fee now and be back to square one with our back line or forego the fee and persuade him to stay another year. Of course it could all be paper talk.

Case in point. Tucker is interesting Hull and Peterborough apparently. If we try to get him to sign a long term deal now we are asking him to give up on ambitions for that period unless he thinks we are nailed on for promotion next season. Choices are to get a decent fee now and be back to square one with our back line or forego the fee and persuade him to stay another year. Of course it could all be paper talk.
If there is any truth in this I hope the club accepts the offer, Tucker was outstanding in his first season but less so impressive last season, If we could sign Cundy and bring in an experienced centre half to replace Tucker I think this would be a good thing.

Last edited:
If there is any truth in this I hope the club accepts the offer, Tucker was outstanding in his first season but less so impressive last season, If we could resign Cundy and bring in an experienced centre half to replace Tucker I think this would be a good thing.
I think O'Connor and Cundy would work if we could re-sign them on loan.

I think O'Connor and Cundy would work if we could re-sign them on loan.
I think we are in with a shout with young Tommy but Brizzle rate Cundy so I think that they may use him next season.
I thought he was a bit weaker than Tucker but still a good cb.

I agree. Not a fan of O'connor.

Hasn't his contact come to an end at soton? I feel certain he will sign in the summer.
He certainly doesn't seem ready to be depended on as a regular centre back.Although it does seem likely he will sign I would hazard a guess he will be as a regular left back who can cover other areas. Bringing in another left back would of course add to the options on that side.A young talented two footed full back would be a great signing.I would allow cover on both sides and if O'Connor was able to cover centrally there as well.

Last edited:
Gillingham have opened talks with Ipswich Town captain Luke Chambers over a free transfer, Football Insider understands.

The centre-back, 35, is on the market after the League One club decided not to extend his contract, which expires next month.

I have no idea if this is accurate - he is a quality performer though.

Gillingham have opened talks with Ipswich Town captain Luke Chambers over a free transfer, Football Insider understands.

The centre-back, 35, is on the market after the League One club decided not to extend his contract, which expires next month.

I have no idea if this is accurate - he is a quality performer though.
A worrying one .In as much as we have been there so many times before. It can succeed. But our track record is terrible. IF we chasing someone like Luke Chambers then while I don't rate Jackson I really hope it is not at full back.It could be Evans is thinking that a senior defender will give Tucker good advice. If bringing in a senior defender is what Tucker needs to take him to the next level it could be the most important signing this summer. Get is right and our defence might be almost sorted .

Interesting thought Herr. So with a game tomorrow and no defenders, who would you play at the back? LSB is still contracted I assume. Him and The kit man CBs it is. Scally himself at LB and Evans at RB? Then Raynor on the bench I suppose.

Fuck I’m bored!!!!!!

I'm retiring next month, as at 55 I'm knacked and could do with some sleep. Pension won't be great, so I might be selling burgers. I'm after a private buyer, so finger crossed. If I it's Evans, I'll be comfortably off!

Not that fussed personally. I think he's too old for us but can do a job in L2. IF we were courting him my guess is that it was with a one year contract and at his age I'm sure a two year one is more attractive.

Agreed. At that stage of his career, a daily Dartford Crossing is hardly an appealing prospect either if you can get similar elsewhere without the commute!

I’d have liked him for a season, due to his experience, but never for two.
Colchester look like they are signing half of Ipswich’s old boys.
May be worth a little punt next season.
League two is always the hardest to predict.

Not that fussed personally. I think he's too old for us but can do a job in L2. IF we were courting him my guess is that it was with a one year contract and at his age I'm sure a two year one is more attractive.

That link says we were believed to have offered him a 2-year deal. If that's the case, hopefully the reason he's turned us down is because of the commuting rather than us being outbid by Colchester.