The players and managers speculation thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The players and managers speculation thread

he has taken us as far as he can.

I think that's the key point. Are we over performing challenging for the playoffs ? In my view yes. Do we have the resources to push into real top 6 challengers ? In my view No.

Unless scally gets the external investment he seeks then I think we are as high as we can go and that might be the key point if and when he considers what to do when this contract expires.

Rafael Benitez and Bruno lage appear to be favourites for the Wolves job.I agree that it could be a mistake but then again we don't really know the situation. If the chairman no longer has faith in his ability to take the right action perhaps it is better for the manager to walk away and take on a new challenge.
With Evans I feel if he does stay this season will probably be his last unless he gets us promotion. It is a massive ask .But any less and he will probably feel he is standing still.His contract is up if he misses out perhaps making the play offs his contract will probably be beyond us as he will have other suitors. If he stays where he is or falls he will probably feel as the Wolves manager possibly does he has taken us as far as he can.

I am truly amazed that Steve Evans has stayed 2 full seasons and likely will see out a 3rd. 90% of lower league managers don’t have that tenure, and pretty much 100% of Gills managers don’t nowadays. He’s the longest serving since Hess if he sees our a 3rd season. Remarkable for such a controversial figure.

And that’s due entirely to the fact he has improved us enormously. And he doesn’t seem to ever accept mediocrity.

I am truly amazed that Steve Evans has stayed 2 full seasons and likely will see out a 3rd. 90% of lower league managers don’t have that tenure, and pretty much 100% of Gills managers don’t nowadays. He’s the longest serving since Hess if he sees our a 3rd season. Remarkable for such a controversial figure.

And that’s due entirely to the fact he has improved us enormously. And he doesn’t seem to ever accept mediocrity.

We need to get his contract extended.

We need to get his contract extended.
That will cost funds we don't have it is catch22 I know.But it is a simple fact that there were players that we needed to offer extensions too many months ago but didn't. Scally opts to let them run out .There is no guarantee that Evans will see out another year. If another better offer is made by a club with a much bigger budget it will be hard to turn down. With a lot of the bigger sides having already moved on manager wise the odds are Evans will stay one more year.It is hard believe there will be the will to continue unless we win promotion.

I agree it is also hard to believe he hasn't had a bust up with Scally. I do wonder if Scally has changed over years and is now more willing to allow a manager a bit more say in the running of the club .Perhaps that is one area that this appointment and that of Evans might have help change.As people know I liked Lovell but do wonder now if Scally is just too much a control freak to allow someone like Hess and Lovell to grow into management.Instead perhaps the longer they stay the less control they have.
That's where Evans might except a slight budget cut but only if it were proved that it was out of Scally's control to deliver the same or more.I don't believe for one moment that Evans will allow Scally any more influence or cuts that's don't add up.Something that other past managers may have had to except.
But there lies the possibility of future problems. If Scally can't deliver. But Evans feels there are ways he could.

With so many unknowns in the equation,, I'm quite happy for Steve Evans to have another slice of the Gill's pie & enjoy his third season with us.
:utv:

That will cost funds we don't have it is catch22 I know.But it is a simple fact that there were players that we needed to offer extensions too many months ago but didn't. Scally opts to let them run out .There is no guarantee that Evans will see out another year. If another better offer is made by a club with a much bigger budget it will be hard to turn down. With a lot of the bigger sides having already moved on manager wise the odds are Evans will stay one more year.It is hard believe there will be the will to continue unless we win promotion.
You say we didn’t offer to contracts to players who’s contract were running out, do you have any proof of this? I’m fed up of continually reading this. I’m almost certain the club would have made contract offers to these players and signalled our intent to renew their deals, the problem is not the club but the players are simply aware through their agents of interest elsewhere and decline any offer knowing full well they can increase their wages elsewhere.

But it is a simple fact that there were players that we needed to offer extensions too many months ago but didn't. Scally opts to let them run out

Fact? No way. How do you know that Chris?

If there were any players that GFC thought were worth giving extended contracts to they most definitely would have tried.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Scally would have offered players like Ogilvie and Graham extended contracts. And back in time players like Eaves and Dack.

There is no way PS simply “let’s contracts run down” of players worth keeping. He is no mug with money, and it continually amazes me that people think he is.

The club turned down offers for Graham in January in an attempt to make the playoffs, offers for Ogilvie were turned down last season too, the club would have done everything in its power to have kept these players and to suggest otherwise is merely an attempt to slander the chairman. Scally deserves credit for keeping hold of Graham when he could have easily accepted money in January, what the club can’t do, is offers terms that rival clubs can and those from higher divisions and there’s a huge difference between that and simply letting a players contract run down.

Fact? No way. How do you know that Chris?

If there were any players that GFC thought were worth giving extended contracts to they most definitely would have tried.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Scally would have offered players like Ogilvie and Graham extended contracts. And back in time players like Eaves and Dack.

There is no way PS simply “let’s contracts run down” of players worth keeping. He is no mug with money, and it continually amazes me that people think he is.
The simple fact is that guys like Dack and Eaves were almost certainly being paid a fraction of their worth .Less so perhaps with this years players but you can bet that they will get a significant pay rise .This is money saved year after year over many years it possibly has saved more than any additional transfer fees that might have been paid.It also saved money on failure players who having been given a early renewal totally fail to deliver.What evidence? Well look at how many players walk away the simple fact is too many.Some like Hanlan might have been a bonus only time will tell for certain. As I said overall purely financially Scally probably gains by not renewing contracts early .Why else do you think he doesn't make early renewals club policy?

I agree it is also hard to believe he hasn't had a bust up with Scally. I do wonder if Scally has changed over years and is now more willing to allow a manager a bit more say in the running of the club .Perhaps that is one area that this appointment and that of Evans might have help change.As people know I liked Lovell but do wonder now if Scally is just too much a control freak to allow someone like Hess and Lovell to grow into management.Instead perhaps the longer they stay the less control they have.
That's where Evans might except a slight budget cut but only if it were proved that it was out of Scally's control to deliver the same or more.I don't believe for one moment that Evans will allow Scally any more influence or cuts that's don't add up.Something that other past managers may have had to except.
But there lies the possibility of future problems. If Scally can't deliver. But Evans feels there are ways he could.

It's an urban myth that Scally is hard to get on with.
With the exception of Pulis, he has had a pretty good relationship with all of our managers.
The Pulis problem has been well documented and it's clear that it was more Pulis than Scally.

As long as they stay honest with each other, then I can't really see a problem.

Someone doesn't like Scally and Evan's getting on by the sounds of it.
Evans has come across as a very straight talker.
Assuming that Scally is honest with him about the potential resources, then they both know what they are getting.
As I said on a different thread, Evans and Raynor have absolutely no pressure on them.
Given the budget, mid table is pretty good, anything better is an achievement.

It's an urban myth that Scally is hard to get on with.
With the exception of Pulis, he has had a pretty good relationship with all of our managers.
The Pulis problem has been well documented and it's clear that it was more Pulis than Scally.

As long as they stay honest with each other, then I can't really see a problem.

Guess it depends on what you class as "hard to get on with".Not sure it's an urban myth. Scally is notorious for his my way or the high way approach. I know a fair few people who've worked at the club in various roles and they'd all dispute your suggestion it's an urban myth. The turnover of staff at various levels suggests hes probably not the easiest to work for.

Guess it depends on what you class as "hard to get on with".Not sure it's an urban myth. Scally is notorious for his my way or the high way approach. I know a fair few people who've worked at the club in various roles and they'd all dispute your suggestion it's an urban myth. The turnover of staff at various levels suggests hes probably not the easiest to work for.
It is no coincidence that the most successful managers during Scally's time in charge have been very much at odds with Scally in terms of Uncle Paul getting his own way. However much he wants success on the field being 100% in charge is clearly important to him.This can work short term with a experienced manager .But in the longer term cracks are more likely to happen not less likely. Luckily Evans seems very easy going on his own salary. This could bring a third season in the hot seat.

The simple fact is that guys like Dack and Eaves were almost certainly being paid a fraction of their worth .Less so perhaps with this years players but you can bet that they will get a significant pay rise .This is money saved year after year over many years it possibly has saved more than any additional transfer fees that might have been paid.It also saved money on failure players who having been given a early renewal totally fail to deliver.What evidence? Well look at how many players walk away the simple fact is too many.Some like Hanlan might have been a bonus only time will tell for certain. As I said overall purely financially Scally probably gains by not renewing contracts early .Why else do you think he doesn't make early renewals club policy?
Dack was a youngster who we developed. Before he showed how good he was it wouldn't make sense to offer him an expensive contract. By the time he showed his quality he wouldn't have renewed because he knew he could go to bigger clubs and earn more than we could ever pay.

Same goes for Eaves - we were all underwhelmed with his signing. By the time he started banging in goals his agent will have known he could run down his contract and get a big one elsewhere.

Scally is way too shrewd to not try and extend our best players contracts he regularly talks about needed to sell players to balance the books. It will be the players/agents who stopped the extension happening.

Stop looking for trouble.

Dack was a youngster who we developed. Before he showed how good he was it wouldn't make sense to offer him an expensive contract. By the time he showed his quality he wouldn't have renewed because he knew he could go to bigger clubs and earn more than we could ever pay.

Same goes for Eaves - we were all underwhelmed with his signing. By the time he started banging in goals his agent will have known he could run down his contract and get a big one elsewhere.

Scally is way too shrewd to not try and extend our best players contracts he regularly talks about needed to sell players to balance the books. It will be the players/agents who stopped the extension happening.

Stop looking for trouble.
Not looking for trouble. We as you admit simply can't compete financially if a player is successful so renewals become impossible for our very best players.We might however have a chance with a player like O'Keefe who slips under the radar a little.

I know from someone at Ipswich that they offered around £2 million for Dack.
We were top (or thereabouts) at the time and Scally turned it down.
We later sold him for £750k to Blackburn as he had less than a year on his contract.
Imagine the outcry if he had sold out best player whilst we were top the league!
He then got criticism for not selling him and losing money!
The club did offer new deals to Holy, Eaves, Ogilvie, Bonham and others. Clubs our size cannot compete on the wages front when wealthier clubs come knocking.
Sometimes it feels that he is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn’t.
Scally isn’t perfect but some of the bollocks spouted about him is just comical.

I hope that £2M for Dack has been exaggerated as its been passed on. We should never turn down £2M for any player. That's the sort of money that would secure the club for years.

I agree whole heartedly with your last sentence though as I do with your name !!!

Last edited: