The player who left thread | Page 534 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

Many years ago I was in a posh club in Birmingham.
Yes ok... I was smashed... But I'm friendly when smashed and not an arse in my defence.
Anyway... We first of all bumped into Luke Moore. Went over.... Said the usual. He ended up giving me a Man hug.
Then Gabby was at the bar sat down. So went over, put my hand out to shake his hand and start the usual bollocks... He stood up and walked off, walking into my out stretched hand.
Tosser.
However you see yourself as a nice person when smashed it's reasonable for anyone to avoid you in such a circumstance.

However you see yourself as a nice person when smashed it's reasonable for anyone to avoid you in such a circumstance.
Erm. No. Not at all. It's called decency and respect. Someone says hello and offers a handshake only a twat would deliberately walk off shoving their hand away with their torso.
And if he wanted to avoid drunk nice people.... Maybe the only thing he should be avoiding in such circumstance is nightclubs.

I never really got the fuss about Gabby, he had like 3 decent, and I mean decent seasons here.

Basically he had very limited footballing ability and was very average in front of goal and boasted a very average record in front of goal too.

I was always of the belief that we should have got shot of him and sign a proper striker in order to genuinely push on. But MON didn't know how to sign a good forward for the most part.

Without his extreme pace he would have been a league one at best footballer which is incidentally the standard he looked once he lost his pace.

Never a good sign when you don't want your striker to think about the finish because he's better when he just swings his leg at it.

I never really got the fuss about Gabby, he had like 3 decent, and I mean decent seasons here.

Basically he had very limited footballing ability and was very average in front of goal and boasted a very average record in front of goal too.

I was always of the belief that we should have got shot of him and sign a proper striker in order to genuinely push on. But MON didn't know how to sign a good forward for the most part.

Without his extreme pace he would have been a league one at best footballer which is incidentally the standard he looked once he lost his pace.
Touch of a baby elephant on a beach ball but the speed of a greyhound and the brains of a rocking horse.
I always thought he'd get better but he slowly got worse, I just couldn't believe he got that last 5? year contract. He was finished then. 3£m a year for eating pies , I could do that

Gabby in his prime was electric and could have got better. Double figures in 4 consecutive seasons. Maybe difficult times for the club after that had something to do with his decline; maybe he had his own problems, which was my suspicion. Certainly he seemed to lose interest. Pity.

Touch of a baby elephant on a beach ball but the speed of a greyhound and the brains of a rocking horse.
I always thought he'd get better but he slowly got worse, I just couldn't believe he got that last 5? year contract. He was finished then. 3£m a year for eating pies , I could do that

If he'd had a manager interested in developing hus talent beyond "run very fast and bulk up a bit" in his earlier career he could have been something but MON wasn't interested in technical ability really, hence Olof getting shoved out to rb, letting Cahill go because he apparently thought he was too much of a "footballer" to be a cb and putting Zat Knight in for him, Cuellar at rb, signing Harwood, Signing Heskey etc etc.

I also think that whilst him scoring in the Derby games was obviously brilliant it made him think he was Billy big bollocks leading to him essentially downing tools under several managers who wouldn't treat him as if he were the king of Villa Park.

I keep changing my mind on him as he gave me some of the best memories I've had at Villa Park but he played such a part in the decline its hard to not be annoyed as well.

In all honesty a lot of fans glossed over his behaviour at the time but now it's an issue. We think we need to be honest with ourselves. If we have a player who is a giant **** like Grealish was, it doesn't matter how good or important he is, we very much need to call out our players for bad behaviour.

I do... go me!

On Grealish and on Terry.

People think I'm being a misery... maybe I am..!

A few have said the 'other club news thread' is being spoiled by become that lad who left Villa's thread.

So re-opened, re-titled and moving posts over.

Hopefully at some point this will just die on it's own accord (for clarity I mean the thread) but evidently it is still a big topic of conversation.

Darius Vassell another one, left his boyhood club to join Man City in 2005 the first three years at City seem to work for him and I think it's safe to season we really did miss for the 2005-06 season. Even with two replacements nether Baros or Phillips seem to be up to the task. For poor Darius his career seem to go out of the window when the takeover happened.

Vassell never actually wanted to leave though. He was pushed out by DOL who he apparently still holds a grudge against to this day.

I agree with him. I hold a grudge against DOL because I live in the Doncaster area, went to the game and had the p**s ripped out of me for weeks afterwards.

Vassell had more ability than an Agbonlahor but didn't have a great footballing IQ. Seemed to me that his penalty miss at Euro 2004 damaged him a bit and he came back and had a really poor season for us. Very good in 2001/02 though.