The Play Off Final Thread 2019 | Page 25 | Vital Football

The Play Off Final Thread 2019

Afternoon Villans. You've done us twice this season. Will you get the hattrick? The bookies seem to think so with you at 5/4 and us at 5/2.

You seem to be going into this as favourites and justifiably so based on the 2 games earlier this season. At Pride Park we were still a new, young side getting to grips with Lampard's new style and the influx of new players too. You were brilliant 2nd half. At yours we were missing half a dozen players and paid for it, again you were the better side. Over the past weeks we have beaten Bristol, WBA and Leeds to get to where we are. Leeds were also favourites to win. At Elland Road we played a different system to the one they were sued to us playing and they had difficulty coping with it.

A lot of the comments on here about playing this player or that player are, IMO, based on what you have seen of us earlier in the season. We haven't been playing that system of late and the half a dozen players we were missing are all back. Mount, Lawrence, Wilson, Waghorn, Bogle, Johnson are all back fit. Roos has deposed Carson between the posts. That 4-0 game is meaningless. It won't be anything like the same team in white shirts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we are going to walk it, far from it, but we are not as much of a walkover Villa fans seem to think we will be.

This game is definitely on. Remember what we did at Elland Road. Play with the first XI again and with the same pride and passion and this will be every bit as good a game as the semi final 2nd leg was. It's all up in the air IMO.

What is the key? Grealish. If he turns up you have the upper hand. However, I remember decades ago, whenever we played against Best or Ball, Brian Clough used to sacrifice one of our creative players, John McGovern with the instructions not to worry about the ball, if you get give it a teammate asap, Your job today is to stand a yard and a half off Best/Ball in a direct line between him and the ball. The pair of them hardly had a kick when we played them. Stop Grealish and I think we stop Villa. The same is true of Mount and us. I just hope neither of them is kicked out of the game.

It's all to play for. May the best team on the day win.

Safe journey both ways for all travelling.

PS - I will be at Wembley. Look out for the BENELUX RAMS flag. I won't be far away.

Hey Amster, welcome to Vital Villa. It's great to hear from a Derby fan. I think we were all impressed that you beat Leeds. They are a good side. I don't think anyone on here is expecting an easy game, you got to the final on merit.

Last season, we played Fulham in the final and they were much better than us. We all knew it going into the game so we were going to need more than a little bit of luck to beat them.

This time, we believe we have the stronger side so we are confident that all things being equal, we stand a great chance of going up.

Still, like I said, we aren't expecting an easy game.

If you can't get a ticket then I would just turn up at Wembley and look out just before kick off for the touts. I'm told that last year there were still a few with tickets as the teams came out and that they were selling them at face value or below just to get rid of them.

Good post that madamster. Might front page it.

Can't wait for the match. I'll obviously not wish you luck but can wish you a safe journey lol.

It's all just pre game banter and bravado. This has the makings of a classic although I doubt the game will be as open as the second half at Elland Road. Heart says Villa by a nose, but I think either team may have to score three to take home the chocolates.

There’s a Facebook group called something like Aston Villa ticket exchange, stick a message on there and say you’ll be in the Wembley area.

If worst comes to worst the pubs will still have quite a few villa in, with mates of mates who haven’t got a ticket and are down for the day.

Last edited:
Anyone else listen to the WM phone in earlier? Jason....he must be a bundle of fun to be with at a Villa game! Genuine fan, not a wind up merchant. Told us all and seemed to be proud of the fact that he was 'the only one to predict a play off Villa loss on WM' last yr ( actually he wasn't..think there were a fair few last season) ...was expecting him to go on and say this yr he felt differently with Smith in charge, the squad we've got, the more positive approach.....no chance, Jason predicts we'll lose again....and yet he will be there 'supporting' the team on Monday....Well I for one, bloody well hope I'm not sat next to him and I'm pretty sure 36800 others will go there believing we've got a great chance. Please stay at home Jason, sell your ticket to someone who goes there with a more positive outlook. I shouted out loud at the radio as he waffled on and not surprisingly he got plenty of stick from subsequent callers....everyone entitled to their own opinion and all that....but sorry...I just don't get 'fans' like Jason! :shake:

Anyone else listen to the WM phone in earlier? Jason....he must be a bundle of fun to be with at a Villa game! Genuine fan, not a wind up merchant. Told us all and seemed to be proud of the fact that he was 'the only one to predict a play off Villa loss on WM' last yr ( actually he wasn't..think there were a fair few last season) ...was expecting him to go on and say this yr he felt differently with Smith in charge, the squad we've got, the more positive approach.....no chance, Jason predicts we'll lose again....and yet he will be there 'supporting' the team on Monday....Well I for one, bloody well hope I'm not sat next to him and I'm pretty sure 36800 others will go there believing we've got a great chance. Please stay at home Jason, sell your ticket to someone who goes there with a more positive outlook. I shouted out loud at the radio as he waffled on and not surprisingly he got plenty of stick from subsequent callers....everyone entitled to their own opinion and all that....but sorry...I just don't get 'fans' like Jason! :shake:
Give his ticket to Mrs Langoe. She’ll take care of it.........?

Afternoon Villans. You've done us twice this season. Will you get the hattrick? The bookies seem to think so with you at 5/4 and us at 5/2.

You seem to be going into this as favourites and justifiably so based on the 2 games earlier this season. At Pride Park we were still a new, young side getting to grips with Lampard's new style and the influx of new players too. You were brilliant 2nd half. At yours we were missing half a dozen players and paid for it, again you were the better side. Over the past weeks we have beaten Bristol, WBA and Leeds to get to where we are. Leeds were also favourites to win. At Elland Road we played a different system to the one they were sued to us playing and they had difficulty coping with it.

A lot of the comments on here about playing this player or that player are, IMO, based on what you have seen of us earlier in the season. We haven't been playing that system of late and the half a dozen players we were missing are all back. Mount, Lawrence, Wilson, Waghorn, Bogle, Johnson are all back fit. Roos has deposed Carson between the posts. That 4-0 game is meaningless. It won't be anything like the same team in white shirts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we are going to walk it, far from it, but we are not as much of a walkover Villa fans seem to think we will be.

This game is definitely on. Remember what we did at Elland Road. Play with the first XI again and with the same pride and passion and this will be every bit as good a game as the semi final 2nd leg was. It's all up in the air IMO.

What is the key? Grealish. If he turns up you have the upper hand. However, I remember decades ago, whenever we played against Best or Ball, Brian Clough used to sacrifice one of our creative players, John McGovern with the instructions not to worry about the ball, if you get give it a teammate asap, Your job today is to stand a yard and a half off Best/Ball in a direct line between him and the ball. The pair of them hardly had a kick when we played them. Stop Grealish and I think we stop Villa. The same is true of Mount and us. I just hope neither of them is kicked out of the game.

PS - I will be at Wembley. Look out for the BENELUX RAMS flag. I won't be far away.
I don’t think any of us think we’re going to walk it mate , far from , like you were desperate to win , apart from Monday I wish you all the best

I don't think many of us think it is a walkover at all. Tough game this , and really it's down to who performs under pressure on the day.

We didn't last year and paid the price. We will be more positive this year though and I can see it being quite an open game.

Like you say. May the best team on the day win.

May the best team win? Rubbish!!! They are the enemy. Don't care if they're the best team by a mile. We must win :utv::utv::utv:

Tickets finally arrived so can look forward to the game. Pretty chilled at the moment as we have the better team, unlike last season. It is weird going into the game as favourites as the last time at Wembley was Bolton. If we turn up then we should win, although Derby need to be given full respect as Mount and Wilson are good enough to hurt us. Derby are a good club and I'd be happy to see them in the Premier League, but not until 2020/21 season! Looking forward to a good game on Monday and fingers crossed it is our turn to come out on top.

Mmmm... not really sure I agree. Lots of excuses in here if I'm honest. You were getting to grips with Super Franks system the first time we played you... you had alot of injuries when we played you at our place.Are you are intimating that you were hard done by in those games?. Not sure those at both will agree. The season ebbs and flows , rough with smooth .We have our own excuses of course this season but no point going back to them.
The 4-0 was meaningless to you because you got spanked. Wasn't meaningless to us and for me personally I saw one of the best goals I have ever seen from a villa player in my nearly 40 years of support. Don't need to be told to remember what you did at Elland road. It was only last week and fair play an excellent result btw.
Not read one post or heard any villa fan say that we will walk it so that's wide of the mark. Glad you are concentrating on Super Jack though. We will keep Super John Mcginn our little secret.

Quite right though it's all to play for and the best team will win . But if it's you, I will be out of Wembley quicker than Super Jack's agent dialling Poch up after the game . No magnanimous applause from me I'm only interested in villa.

Here's to cracking game, cracking atmosphere. No naughtiness from either fans and hopefully a villa win .

Last edited:
No villa fans think we will walk the game on Monday, it's a final and the biggest occasion most of the players will have played in. I have absolutely no idea what the final result will be but hope we win. Was chatting to Colin Gibson yesterday and he reckoned we have four players that could hack it if we get promoted.

Derby are shit and sneaked into the play offs by the skin of their teeth. However the final is just a one off game so it’s about who turns up and wants it more.

I would not be so
Derby are shit and sneaked into the play offs by the skin of their teeth. However the final is just a one off game so it’s about who turns up and wants it more.
I would not be so arrogant as to say that any opposition are there for the taking - that is the role of Yanited and the Plop.
I did watch the game at Bellend Road and Derby were out on the ropes in the first half until the mix up between the CH and keeper. Goals lift teams and going in at half time 2-0 would have been a different situation.
Just hope that we are all fully focused and don't gift any goals. Then it will be a case of the best team on the day. I am pleased that is Derby and not Leeds as it will be a football match and not a one sided kicking contest.

Mmmm... not really sure I agree. Lots of excuses in here if I'm honest. You were getting to grips with Super Franks system the first time we played you... you had alot of injuries when we played you at our place.Are you are intimating that you were hard done by in those games?. Not sure those at both will agree. The season ebbs and flows , rough with smooth .We have our own excuses of course this season but no point going back to them.
The 4-0 was meaningless to you because you got spanked. Wasn't meaningless to us and for me personally I saw one of the best goals I have ever seen from a villa player in my nearly 40 years of support. Don't need to be told to remember what you did at Elland road. It was only last week and fair play an excellent result btw.
Not read one post or heard any villa fan say that we will walk it so that's wide of the mark. Glad you are concentrating on Super Jack though. We will keep Super John Mcginn our little secret.

Quite right though it's all to play for and the best team will win . But if it's you, I will be out of Wembley quicker than Super Jack's agent dialling Poch up after the game . No magnanimous applause from me I'm only interested in villa.

Here's to cracking game, cracking atmosphere. No naughtiness from either fans and hopefully a villa win .

Meaningless was possibly the wrong word, maybe irrelevant is a better one. Irrelevant as we will have 6 players starting at Wembley (incl. Mount, Wilson and Lawrence) who were injured for that 4-0 thrashing you gave us. Totally agree about that goal. Brilliant. Even when it's against you, you have to admire good football.

My nephew, who will be at Wembley too, is a Villa fan and echoes the views on this forum. I have, however, read elsewhere on the net (FB to name but one source) where the tone is more "just turn up and we win".

Let the game begin.