The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

There is an opportunity here for us to use the crisis to reshape our society. We are going to need New Deal style investment from the government once the health crisis ends. Why not make it the green new deal and get carbon emissions down to as close to zero as possible in the next 10 years?

Posted the other day, from a quick search, 4.5m a year are dying from air pollution, surely that is also of pandemic proportions and as you say BB, we have a chance as a world to correct this now?

There is an opportunity here for us to use the crisis to reshape our society. We are going to need New Deal style investment from the government once the health crisis ends. Why not make it the green new deal and get carbon emissions down to as close to zero as possible in the next 10 years?
They're more likely to drive loads of austerity to pay for this I'm afraid.

I think politicians who go this route ought to found hanging from lampposts.

Mr Butter posted this in the Covid good news thread and I thought, for prosperity, good to go in this thread as well.

Germany are pushing the green agenda, we can but hope the rest of the world also follow this as it is the obvious time to do so, having seen such a differencce due to this forced break.

https://reasonstobecheerful.world/coronavirus-lockdown-germany-green-economic-recovery/

And Fieldy posted this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52724821

Daily global emissions of CO2 fell by 17% at the peak of the shutdown.

The most comprehensive account yet published linked here.

The worry is CO2 emissions could soon be higher than before the crisis.

They are urging politicians to grasp the moment and make real, durable changes on transport and personal mobility.

As fieldy says, what more proof is needed.

And now we are used to restrictions, now is the time to maybe say a few days a week, cars cant be used, limit flights we can take etc.

Why?

Well, the one figure I looked up during this COVID pandemic said 4.5m a year (A YEAR) die from air pollution. There really doesn't have to be any further reasons, but the ones as above, the animals also starting to enjoy our break from destruction is also a very strong reason.

Yes, been cowardly and not watched it yet. Trying not to get too wound up about things (and perhaps, somewhat, failing)

Got to be watched at some point though.

At the moment my conclusion in life, no matter how many pratts are around you, is you can only do your best with what you have, think about the trail you leave in life, look at the bigger picture and it can make you feel like giving up can't it?

Some think this will bring jobs to Brum. I don't see it myself, it just makes it that bit easier to get to London. And as you say/the comment says, we might all have realised we don't always need to be face to face in an office now.

No, the important bit of HS2 (Brum to North and back) has been scrapped now hasn't it. 20 mins to London is pointless and nobody is going to live in London and work in Brum in reality - the living finances are backwards.

First advert for ages I actually watched, on youtube, today.

About brewdog and the efforts they are making. If all companies tried this sort of thing, we'd really be getting somewhere.

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/community/culture/tomorrow

That link is previous things, surprised they haven't got this on the site as an update... so here it is from youtube

Having a couple of Finnish friends (How cool is that) and I actually know two Finnish words as well, wow they tell me how hot it is up there in the Arctic circle in the summer, as I've only been in January the coldest darkest month I find it impossible to believe. i was also told don't go in the summer as its mosquito-infested until September. In October it snows again almost to the hour.

Some of the most predictable weather in the world but also the two extremes