The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

Newsnight have just uncovered the ridiculous hypocrisy of our country.

We are talking about cleaning up our Co2 emissions. But a small Gov department, UK Export Finance are funding loads of projects abroad, in Africa, Brazil, Iraq etc, some of them new projects, using fossil fuels, so the emissions we help fund - instead of trying to get them to use different sustainable fuels. The estimate is the funding will help produce the same sort of size emissions as Portugal.

Boris Johnson this week at the UK - Africa Investment Summit lied basically, saying no more coal, but not mentioning oil and gas. He said there was "no point us cleaning up our own act, only to trumble over to Africa and line our pockets by encouraging African states to use more of it."

:surrender:

It's not exactly ideal, but sustainable wood based burning (even for Nuke plants) has to be a better start up option for the likes of Africa etc than coal?

Not really, the developing countries should be helped to get straight to sustainable fuel systems, and that means all countries have to help fund. Different countries, same planet.

I take the point, but in terms of renewables and getting the infrastructure in place, wood fired nuggets is surely a better starting point than coal - even if only designed as a five year stop gap whilst greener is put in place.

We can hardly gloat with our own power plan despite all the wibbling.

Saw that Den, you'd expect others to follow now.

Petrol and diesel to be banned by 2035 in the UK

Tough one this, values of existing cars will surely plummet making it difficult for people to exchange for electric/hydrogen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51366123

Not petrol and diesel but the sale of petrol and diesel cars. With the growth in electric car technology, I can't see there being much of a market for petrol or diesel cars in 5 years time.

I'd be much more concerned about Boris's ability to deliver the infrastructure to support 32.5m electric cars.

Yeah, didn't read my post before posting at all. But the link does say what I was meaning.

Have corrected!

Not petrol and diesel but the sale of petrol and diesel cars. With the growth in electric car technology, I can't see there being much of a market for petrol or diesel cars in 5 years time.

I'd be much more concerned about Boris's ability to deliver the infrastructure to support 32.5m electric cars.
No chance of anyone of any political persuasion doing it, it won’t happen. Cars will move to hydrogen once the issues with cost of production/storage are solved. Electric cars values will drop like a stone due to the cost of replacing the battery and it’s not being commercially recyclable. It will never be good enough for long distance. The model that works in Seoul is scooters used for short journeys and battery stacks. As your battery runs down you take it out and put it in the stack on the street and take another. You are automatically charged to your account. But it works because their society makes it possible. In UK someone would smash their way in !

And the issue now coming to light a bit more, on the fire problems when batteries fail, which you will know far more than me.

Hydrogen as a solution seems to have disappeared like a stone with the rise of Electric - I didn't realise it was still being worked on.

I have a big issue with this push to make everyone stop eating dairy products.

IMO it looks like pure marketing ploys from these plant based food companies and everyone is buying it. Why are we targeting an industry that contributes a single digit percentage. Energy contribution is in the 60/70s but we're incredibly slow to overhaul that entire industry.

Its like shipping in timber from Scandinavia, how much more sustainable is that compared to getting your materials locally. The believe the big soybean markets are China and USA so in all likelihood those materials are being shipping in from those countries likely offsetting a lot of the C02 savings.

I could be a million miles off base but it just seems like another money driven ploy by large corporations. A sprinkling of truth mixed in with a lot of deceit.

How do they calculate carbon emissions? I've just been reading about Air New Zealand's flight from Auckland to New York. It will take more than 17 hours and they are working on a design for bunk beds in the plane. The article says that the flight will produce more than 650kg of carbon emissions per passenger. That seems like an enormous amount.

Agree cdx and when you scratch the surface of the new 'trend' you have to wonder where is the extra land coming from for more crops to be grown? We've cut down half our forests across the world already!

This so needs listening too: it does have subtitles as some of it's in another language. Very poignant. Whilst the virus maybe awwn as something different I think the message of how we treat the world all entwines

I think some will misinterpret that and get angry. I like it a lot.

Said to Rev Pete last week, maybe the planet has had enough of us and sending us warnings.

I like the idea behind this, if everyone just took a moment to pause for thought, look at this beautiful planet and see what we are doing to it and all come together, like we are having to with this virus.

I just watched a BBC2 programme, the Super Eagles, beautiful, until the end when it states a 3rd of all eagles are on the danger list. We've done that. We need to come together to find solutions, first for this virus, and then for what damage we are doing. We are a very destructive species and some don't care. I know I argued with someone on facebook the other day, about HS2 and the soon to happen destruction of ancient forests. The person I argued with didn't care, just said more jobs for Birmingham (which I don't believe to be the case anyway)

It isn't just about us, it is about the trees, the animals, the everything.

But no, it was just £ and fuck the ancient forests. So sad that mankind is like this, we have enough brilliant minds to do positive things, but we don't seem to use them enough.

Great link BB, thanks!

Liked this bit:

It said the cost of the enzyme was just 4% of the cost of virgin plastic made from oil.