The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

The world is beginning to tackle the threat of plastic waste, according to the renowned broadcaster Sir David Attenborough.

"I think we're all shifting our behaviour, I really do," Sir David said in an interview with the BBC.

Describing plastic pollution as "vile" and "horrid", he said there was growing awareness of the damage it can do.

"I think we are changing our habits, and the world is waking up to what we've done to the planet," he said.

https://bbc.in/2O5SQuw

"Plastic “bags for life” should be banned or raised in price, campaigners say, as new figures reveal a surge in the bags is fuelling a rise in the plastic packaging footprint of leading supermarkets.

Despite high profile promises by the country’s best known supermarkets to tackle the amount of plastic waste they create, their plastic footprint continues to rise, according to research from the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) and Greenpeace.

In 2018, supermarkets put an estimated 903,000 tonnes of plastic packaging onto the market, an increase of 17,000 tonnes on the 2017 footprint. The surge is fuelled in part by a huge rise in the sale of “bags for life” by 26% to 1.5bn, or 54 bags per household."

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-making-plastic-problem-worse-say-campaigners

Surely people are re-using those though and they can have them exchanged.

That is odd. Thought I'd read it was helping the problem.

Blimey!

I was thinking the other day, these more permanent type of shopping bags, there must be a market for more manly type of designs surely? They are all pretty girlie really!

"Plastic “bags for life” should be banned or raised in price, campaigners say, as new figures reveal a surge in the bags is fuelling a rise in the plastic packaging footprint of leading supermarkets.

Despite high profile promises by the country’s best known supermarkets to tackle the amount of plastic waste they create, their plastic footprint continues to rise, according to research from the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) and Greenpeace.

In 2018, supermarkets put an estimated 903,000 tonnes of plastic packaging onto the market, an increase of 17,000 tonnes on the 2017 footprint. The surge is fuelled in part by a huge rise in the sale of “bags for life” by 26% to 1.5bn, or 54 bags per household."

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-making-plastic-problem-worse-say-campaigners

54 bags per household seems an incredible amount. I don't carry those bags with me so I often end up carrying groceries around in my hands. The Mrs has a few of those bags that she brings with her. I'd find it hard to believe that people are buying those bags every time they shop.

The suggestion seems to be that people are buying them every time they shop and just binning them but it doesn't actually say that.

Sainsbury (so probably all) have doubled the price from 10p to 20p, so it is a start I guess. Think the money goes to charity as well.

Ah right, they are talking about the bags problem now, think they are surprised themselves, apparently it is because the bags are bigger and stronger, so use 3 times the plastic. Time to move to cloth bags then surely?!

Yes, I have 6 or 7, surely 54 is a bit ott?!

I have our main shoshop once a month delivered. Morrisons dont use bags anymore. They bring the boxes in and empty them in your kitchen.

I carry 3 tightly wrapped bags in my rucksack style bag for any shopping outside. Think I have about half a dozen canvas style bags and a couple of freezer bags. That's it these days.

I've bought some fabric bags for putting salad and loose ceh in st the supermarket. I buy fruit and veg between the green grocer and the supermarket these days

Apart from anything else, they are fcuking hideous AND bad for the planet...

Britons’ love of novelty Christmas jumpers is helping to fuel the world’s plastic pollution crisis, a report has warned. Whether emblazoned with flashing lights or alpine motifs, 12m jumpers are set to be snapped up this year, despite 65m already languishing in UK wardrobes.

But as well as triggering huge levels of waste, the research by the environmental charity Hubbub has shown that most new sweaters contain plastic.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-add-to-plastic-pollution-crisis-says-charity

Yes, people talk a good game re the environment but will anyone actually stop buying whatever throwaway rubbish they want to buy?

Doubt it.

Something else that gets to me is the number of charity plastic bags they come through the letter box. On average 4 a week. There was two in the porch Sat morn.

Agreed astonion2. We should have the right to not have junk through the doors. I did put a label on my last door asking for no stuff, but they mostly ignored.

I use them as bin bags, but still, would rather not have a bag in a bag several times a week