The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 27 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

The thing is, we are a very innovative species. We can find solutions, if we bother looking. Although I am a member of the Green Party, I don't agree with their line that we all need to change everything and go vegan. If big oil is prevented from buying up all the patents that hurt them, we can solve this, make money and have a great life still.

The thing is, we are a very innovative species. We can find solutions, if we bother looking. Although I am a member of the Green Party, I don't agree with their line that we all need to change everything and go vegan. If big oil is prevented from buying up all the patents that hurt them, we can solve this, make money and have a great life still.
Can't link it on my phone, but it's called inductive charging, and it will charge your battery as you drive along the motorway.

Can't link it on my phone, but it's called inductive charging, and it will charge your battery as you drive along the motorway.

Last I heard about it, they were testing it in Sweden, weren't they?

One of the big things not mentioned here are sodium batteries. Nissan have recently tested them on the production line, so they won't be far away. They charge in 10 minutes, and the environmental impact in making them is a fraction that of Lithium.

You can't really assume we will stand still when looking to the future. You have to assume we will find better and better solutions all the time.

Can biofuel decarbonise air travel?

Many say the widespread adoption of ‘biojet fuels’ – a sustainable aviation fuel – is the way forward. Biojet fuel, also known as aviation biofuel or bio-aviation fuel, is derived from recycled products like used cooking oil, agricultural residue, and wood waste, unlike conventional jet fuels, which are usually refined from crude oil.

Importantly, biojet requires no modifications to aircraft and engines or storage and distribution infrastructure.

It can also be mixed with conventional jet fuel and used in an aircraft in much the same way as petroleum-based jet fuel.
Read the full story >

Sodium is a common element that’s usually mined from soda ash, but it can be found basically anywhere, including in seawater and in peat from bogs. It also happens to be well-suited to the kinds of applications Meng is describing. The ions are a little heavier and bigger than those of lithium, meaning you can’t pack as much energy into a small space, like the belly of a car. “Where sodium batteries can make a big impact is on the grid,” explains Nuria Tapia-Ruiz, a professor at Lancaster University and director of the Faraday Institution’s sodium battery initiative. Those batteries can be a little bigger, a little heavier, but it doesn’t matter because they just need to sit tight.

https://www.wired.com/story/sodium-batteries-power-new-electric-car/

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...e-giants-rangers-prepare-return-wild-bison-uk

The UK is one of the most nature-depleted countries in the world and the rangers hope the bison project will be a beacon for a wider recovery. “By using nature-based solutions, we can really turn the tide and help mitigate the effects of the current climate and biodiversity crises that we face,” says Wright.
We are nature depleted, and given the effects of climate change and a rapidly increasing population due to immigration in the main, it's not going to get any better given all the house building and development that follows. We are the most densely populated country in Europe after Holland, and this is the price you pay.

This was an interesting fact I read today.

The world’s largest oilfield, Ghawar in Saudi Arabia, which occupies 8,400 square kilometres, produces the equivalent of 0.9 PWh each year. Building solar panels over the same area would generate 1.2 PWh a year on average globally and 1.6 PWh in Saudi Arabia which is sunnier than average.

Few really great bits on re-wilding

RECORD NUMBERS OF BEAVERS TO BE RELEASED IN BRITAIN THIS YEAR

The last decade has been pretty darn good for beavers in the UK, and it’s only getting better. In August last year, the first beavers to live wild in England for hundreds of years were given the right to remain in their home on the River Otter, in east Devon, after a five-year introduction trial. Now it's been confirmed that The Wildlife Trusts are going to be restoring beavers to five more counties in England and Wales

THE SPANISH CITY SQUEEZING ELECTRICITY FROM LEFTOVER ORANGES

https://www.muchbetteradventures.co...s-and-turning-oranges-into-green-electricity/

HOW HIKING IS HELPING WILD BROWN BEARS IN THE MOUNTAINS OF GREECE
We speak to the co-founder of Callisto, a conservation NGO working in the Greek mountains to protect, preserve and educate people about the brown bear

https://www.muchbetteradventures.com/magazine/hiking-greece-brown-bears-callisto-conservation/

FROM THE HISTORY BOOKS: THE REWILDING OF YELLOWSTONE WOLVES
We look back at the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone in 1995, considered one of the most successful rewilding projects

https://www.muchbetteradventures.com/magazine/yellowstone-wolves-rewilding-1995-history-books/

Difficult balance though isn't it? Farmers surely could be compensated?

One or perhaps two wolves, spotted at a distance, roaming the mountains from which they were driven to extinction a century ago may be a good thing - a sign of nature rebalancing itself, of diversity restored.
A whole pack, prowling through alpine villages, lurking along the paths children take to school, is something different.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59738541

The Graun giving a voice to the green protestors locked up for disrupting thousands of peoples daily lives.
Great concern being shown for their rights.
Not a word about the mayhem and cost incured by all the ordinary folk going about their lawful business.
I read this week that Extinction Rebellion are planning massive protests across the whole country in the new year, with the main aim being disruption.
Hopefully they lock a load more up.

Is the world about to go into reverse and start burning coal again to meet energy needs.
There is a crisis that is unfolding and countries are now having to look at alternatives. This is a crisis for today and seeing what is happening in different parts of the world is alarming for people who are calling for more greener alternatives.
Since 2007 America has been using less and less coal for its energy. However, with the oil and gas crisis that we are dealing with now America has gone back and is now burning as much coal today as it was in 2014.
China and India two of the worlds biggest users of coal are building ever increasing numbers of coal fired power stations. And Australia is now mining more coal than ever before.
Unless the Government ,if only in the short term, dont bring in subsidies on energy costs then there will be massive problems for many in this country who could be faced with bills well in excess of £2000pa.
I think a vote to return to mining and burning coal again in this country would find a large majority in favour.

think a vote to return to mining and burning coal again in this country would find a large majority in favour.
No doubt about it mate.
People vote with their pockets, and millions are now getting a very nasty shock as new suppliers are demanding increased direct debits, and when the cap increases in April, politically, and financially this is dynamite.

Last edited:
It's also a case of not in my back yard thank you.
Off shore attracts less protest, but onland they aren't wanted.

Yes, we have an offshore one, and it actually looks great. They're going to double it, I think I read.

I wonder if people had the same reaction when windmills were first built, all those years ago?

As I write this, I remember my home is called Mill Cottage because it's on the site of one of those mills.