The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 21 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

It's the major problem over the years (so I don't just blame the fop haired benefit claimant) but they rally around an idea, find out the cost, and slowly backtrack without actually finding an alternative to then move forward with.

They just hide behind 'we really wanted to, but it was too expensive and I couldn't do that to the taxpayer so we'll find a cheaper option' and then never bother.

Just watched a news item that dug out footage from the UN climate change report 1989, that stated that we had ten years to save the planet, and if nothing was done the polar ice caps would be all gone by 1999, and large parts of the planet would be under the sea.
Does make it difficult to believe these groups when they make comments as alarmist as that, and they are totally wide of the mark.

we are very lucky in kerry we have a supposed warm gulf stream coming up from mexico, so our summers are out of this world, i mean the same as winter, in other words, usually if you go for the sun lotion, slap it on quick, and the weather changes, seanie

Well the end is nigh. Fire, Flood and pestilence. And we have all 3 happening now.

I am legitimately concerned about the short term mostly because I live in California. What I didnt know is that the real reason the water shortage in California is bad is that they're not far off the water level being too low for the hydro-dams to work.

I am legitimately concerned about the short term mostly because I live in California. What I didnt know is that the real reason the water shortage in California is bad is that they're not far off the water level being too low for the hydro-dams to work.
My sister lived in Ca for more than 20 years. When they first moved there they never saw rain for 7 years and they were having to bring water in by tanker from other states who were complaining about Ca taking their water. At xmas they were bringing truck loads of snow from the San Bernardino mountains to try and make it a bit more like xmas. Having moved from the UK at first it was a novelty but they were soon missing the rain.

Back to what I said about fire, flood and pestilence. Turkey is a prime example. They have raging fires in the south, horrendous floods in the north and having to cope with the Covid. The problem is that the Politicians all over the world just talk and talk and then do very little to stop the planet warming. I dread to think what will be happening in another 20 years.

Politics has taken this route where there is no incentive to solve anything. At least as far as politics go in the US. Homelessness, corporate greed, shootings, immigration and now climate problems. All of these have been incredibly hot topics for decades. If we want to do something about this stuff we can. Climate change is no different.

I love the idea of smart contracts because if you made a politician sign up to a smart contract and they don't live up to their promises they automatically get the bullet. There is no accountability for the political class.

I've always been a bit fatalist around 'climate change'. I don't believe that any country will be carbon neutral by 2030 or 2050 or whenever they are talking about next. It would take an enormous amount of resources to change all of the carbon producing areas of the economy and our lives to net zero. And even if one country could achieve that, it wouldn't make any difference because lots of other countries won't pull their weight (America, China, etc).

The other thing is the term 'save the planet'. It really gets my goat. The planet doesn't need saving. The planet will be fine. In a billion years there will be almost no trace of any human life on this planet and the planet will be still spinning away, travelling through space like nothing happened.

Even 'save ourselves' or 'save humans' isn't correct. We'll still be here for thousands of years. There will be fewer of us and we might have increasingly more difficult lives but we'll still be here.

So what are we actually trying to save? Save our standard of living? Save our comfortable 21st century lifestyles? Not quite so catchy, eh?

Save our childrens future...

catchy enough?! As that is the crux of it surely?

I agree, they won't achieve it, even by 2050 and I suspect, by 2050, it will be too late anyway. I'd be gone by then so meh, whatever really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And even if one country could achieve that, it wouldn't make any difference because lots of other countries won't pull their weight (America, China, etc).
I did make this very point a while back and you disagreed.
Are you converted to my point of view.?

I did make this very point a while back and you disagreed.
Are you converted to my point of view.?

It was probably me arguing about it, as well.

The simple fact is, China and America are now doing something about it. It should also be noted that we rank amongst the lowest CO2 polluters amongst developed nations, so we have already made great strides, and life seems to be carrying on.

One impact of climate change rarely mentioned is the forced migration of millions of people from equatorial regions made inhabitable.

Apparently, we're already at breaking point, but our historic emissions have led to these poor people being made homeless, and are we really going to turn our back on them now?

The simple fact is, China and America are now doing something about it. It should also be noted that we rank amongst the lowest CO2 polluters amongst developed nations, so we have already made great strides, and life seems to be carrying on.

One impact of climate change rarely mentioned is the forced migration of millions of people from equatorial regions made inhabitable.

Apparently, we're already at breaking point, but our historic emissions have led to these poor people being made homeless, and are we really going to turn our back on them now?
Yes, I think it was you aswell. They might be trying, but I think they need to try a little harder.
China reopening coal mines as electricity demand accelerates ...
https://www.power-eng.com › coal › china-reopening-c...

China to Restart Coal Mines Amid Climate Versus Growth ...
https://www.bloomberg.com › news › articles › china-t...

This report is from 2 years ago, however it was stated on BBC only last week that the situation is worse now, with China opening coal fired plants in large numbers in Africa and South America.
China Building Hundreds Of Coal-Fired Power Plants Abroad ...
https://www.npr.org › 2019/04/29 › why-is-china-placing...