The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

Last week I took receipt of an order from Amazon. My lad asked me why I was looking at it puzzled, cos obviously I had ordered something. I had no idea what was in the box

On opening the box which could have fitted a stand up vacuum, to put together I found what I ordered: that was 2 mini spray pumps for my shampoo bottles

Then they wonder why our eco is so bad 🙄

:arrghh::arrghh::arrghh:

Supermarkets are still putting nearly 900,000 tonnes of plastic packaging on to the market, representing a plastic footprint which is bigger than in 2017, a new report has found.

The retailers sold more than 2bn plastic bags, according to the study by Greenpeace and the Environmental Investigation Agency, which called for the government to require companies to publish independently verified audits of their plastic footprint, alongside their financial reports each year.

In 2019 the 10 biggest UK supermarkets put 896,853 tonnes of plastic packaging on the market. The weight of plastic waste was down on 2018, but up 1.2% from 2017.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...t-doing-enough-to-cut-plastic-use-says-report

I'd say to all supermarkets....if you can't sell X without single use plastic then you can't sell it. You have 6 months so get on with it.

I can't see why they can't find biodegradable packaging. I'd guess that it's because plastic is so cheap. Governments are going to have to force the issue.

I can't see why they can't find biodegradable packaging. I'd guess that it's because plastic is so cheap. Governments are going to have to force the issue.

You would think that some supermarket would want to lead the way, take the higher moral ground, and grab a good share of the floating customers.

I would long remember a store if they did that, and use them above others.

You would think that some supermarket would want to lead the way, take the higher moral ground, and grab a good share of the floating customers.

I would long remember a store if they did that, and use them above others.

I guess you'd have to get every manufacturer that supplies your stock to comply. I don't know if there is a viable biodegradable alternative yet.

I guess you'd have to get every manufacturer that supplies your stock to comply. I don't know if there is a viable biodegradable alternative yet.

Should be something that can be recycled, certainly the plastic punnets can be replaced with the card ones, that can be made from recycled paper/card/

Where there is a will, there is a way.

THey might be beyond the pale, however, (covid times aside) they are fighting for what is right instead of people like me just moaning on a forum at the utter devastation of ancient woodland and the wildlife connected.

Look how many products they sell in a supermarket. Do we need 90% of it? If you can't sell finger limes in the UK without producing plastic then maybe we should not have them here. It didn't hurt our grandparents.

We live is a stupid, selfish greedy World.

Last edited:
Wow, just watching Gregg Wallace in South Africa. Going on about sharks. Asks how many humans die from shark attacks each year. Ans: A handful, probably less than ten a year.

The lady said flip the question, how many sharks do we kill each year.

I was thinking 100 000 or so.

Totally wrong.

ONE HUNDRED MILLION. :shake:

Wow, just watching Gregg Wallace in South Africa. Going on about sharks. Asks how many humans die from shark attacks each year. Ans: A handful, probably less than ten a year.

The lady said flip the question, how many sharks do we kill each year.

I was thinking 100 000 or so.

Totally wrong.

ONE HUNDRED MILLION. :shake:

According to Google, there are an estimated 1bn sharks out there. Think about that next time you are chilling in the sea.

I've noticed a strong move against shark fin soup among Malaysian Chinese. It used to be a big deal here, reserved for special occasions like weddings. It's rarely served here any more because of ethical concerns. Hopefully China will follow.

Tories talking about a Green revolution, about getting our carbon footprint and what not down to zero... and allowing a new coalmine.... and and chopping through ancient forests for a train system that isn't needed. Excellent.

:slap:

But now, it is being re-looked at.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-56001458

Guidance from the government's advisory Climate Change Committee (CCC) in December recommended that the use of coking coal should be curbed by 2035, whereas the council have granted permission to dig until 2049.

Errmmm

The government said it was a matter for Cumbria County Council to decide.

But

The government has pledged that by 2050 it will balance out any greenhouse gas emissions produced by industry, transport or other sources by removing an equivalent amount from the atmosphere.

Passing the buck, the twat:

On 31 October 2019, Cumbria County Council ratified its original decision to approve the West Cumbria Mining planning application for the first new deep coal mine in the UK for 30 years. On 1 November, Robert Jenrick, the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG), rejected requests to ‘call in’ the planning application to decide it himself.

https://cafs.org.uk/2019/12/02/whitehaven-coal-mine-whats-happened-so-far-next-steps/

He is the one who said it was up to the local council to decide. But it isn't, it is a national (and indeed, world/environment) issue. We are holding the UN Climate Change Conference in November this year ffs.

Arrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you fucktards.