The Philippe Coutinho Thread | Page 46 | Vital Football

The Philippe Coutinho Thread

Coutinho as an inside forward off the left seemed to be something that happened at Barca. He was more central at Liverpool (and Inter). Maybe this will be his position going forward.

We seem to be expecting him to do everything as YKW did. Some of our players seem to look to offload their responsibility onto others. McGinn was an exception.

Yes he was doing the classic Grealish move of coming too deep to collect the ball from the defenders/Luiz. Then he's either got to dribble past their 5 man midfield or pick a perfect long pass.

We need a DM and at least 1 CB who can bring the ball out better and quicker than what we're doing now. Its the only way this system Gerrard wants to implement will work. Move it too slow and you end up with a load of lads jumbled around the middle with the full backs wide but isolated.

Superbly taken goal. Easy to see how class he is. Goals in the bigger games, not just Burnley away. Someone actually wrote in the match thread that they were baffled, yes fucking baffled!!!!!, ! by the signing of PC.
Wtf is that all about.

Once he went off it freed one of their players from the duty of marking him. They were able to commit another man forward. We ended up with needing to pick up another attacker.
His goal was a beaut!

Said in the match thread I thought if we held onto 2-0 it would hide Gerrard's decision to go with both Buendia and Coutinho given their limited involvement given the defending we needed to do, but hindsight shows I hadn't considered how their presence (and Buendia's tracking back) did actually help our defence - at least as more of an outlet even if they didn't achieve much else.

Although there is bound to be someone who will think we shouldn't have signed him.

Check the match thread out from yesterday. Some do question it. Or to be precise are 'baffled'.

I think the realisation that in a straight fight with Emi2 (not that there should be one but some seem intent on making one) PC is the winner and it has got to them.