The PGMOL statement | Vital Football

The PGMOL statement

Skoorb

Alert Team
The PGMOL took the unusual step of releasing a statement after the controversial penalty incident in the dipper v Spuds. The incident not only rested on the interpretation of the offside law but also witnessed the referee asking the fourth official for clarification “from the TV”

Their comments regarding this last part is somewhat less than convincing IMO.

The final question in the article says it all.

Why ask him?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42943628

"But the question hangs in the air - why would referee Jon Moss ask his touchline assistant such a thing in the first place?"

The answer is the ref is not up to the job, (like many others) right or wrong he has to decide, so VAR can't come soon enough for me.

They are clearly in contact - this is how they advise the 4th official how many minutes they wish to add on at the end of each half. But the idea that this communication is only one way is an utter fiction. This is the first hard evidence that the referee actually has asked the 4th official for their opinion AND that they have effectively asked whether they have any better idea of what has happened from looking at TV footage......

This statement is very odd and methinks they protesteth too much.

John Moss wasn't "misguided" in asking......he was "misguided" in doing so within range of the television microphone and getting caught on camera. THAT is what prompted the PGMOL statement.

We all recall vividly the moment in the Chelsea game at the Etihad last season when David Luiz fouled Aguero as he threatened to pass him. Tony Taylor, racing to catch up with the players, raised his whistle to his lips to blow for the foul.......only to mysteriously change his mind and allow play to continue. It was utterly bizarre and I am sure I was not alone at the time (& ever since) in believing that he hadn't had a call from someone else - possibly his assistant but also possibly the 4th official - saying "He's the last man Tony....if you give the foul you HAVE to send him off. Think man! Think of the spectacle! YOU will RUIN the game! Sky and the PL will have our asses if you send off Luiz"

Well, ok. That is clearly NOT an exact transcript of the conversation, but you get my drift.

PGMOL you have been caught. Just 'fess up and admit at times the 4th official advises the referee on things he may not have had a clear view of.......

Shame it doesn't apply to awful fouls....... :017:

I don't think there's any doubt that the fourth official advises, look at Walker's sending off against Everton, that was Oliver ( the 4th official) telling Madley that Walker threw an elbow, it was obvious that they were in contact from the pictures broadcast.

I'd go further again and suggest the person with the TV screen is not the 4th official, it is a refereeing coach that is out of sight of the TV cameras

See here for the role of the referee’s coach.

http://you-are-the-ref.com/the-role-of-the-match-assessor/

Either way they're full of shit, have been caught with their pants down and need to do the honorable and disband the whole organisation and start again with some honest individuals heading up the organisation.

I would be OK with this if they were open about it from the start.

off topic slightly: Why does the referee who stands behind the goal line in UEFA matches stand on the same side as the linesman who covers that side of the pitch?

Buzz Lightyear - 6/2/2018 11:23

I would be OK with this if they were open about it from the start.

off topic slightly: Why does the referee who stands behind the goal line in UEFA matches stand on the same side as the linesman who covers that side of the pitch?

Because they are an utter waste of time, a 'place holder' institued by FIFA after the debacle of Frank Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany in the 2006 World Cup. Blatter, desperate to stave off demands for the introductionn of goal line technology which would erode their ability to engineer suitable outcomes, pushed their introduction.

I a convinced that they are instructed NOT to give any guidance to the referees unless specifically asked BY the referee. Which is never.

I still recall the penalty shouts we had against Bayern Munich under Mancini which were RIGHT IN FRONT of this guy but were not given - Boateng was responsible for at least one blatant foul.

They are on the same side as the assistant ......becasue it makes no difference. They may as well not be there.

meanwhile, back on track....

Something smells fishy....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/02/05/referee-jon-moss-misguided-ask-tv-help-awarding-penalty/