The Peterborough thread? | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Peterborough thread?

Have to agree with Lanc's, for me it was not the errors by Bonham, but the 15 minutes of fantastic play by Dembele that undid us.

At half time I thought, same again and we've got this won, pity Posh didn't follow the script. At the end of the day they were a far better team than us. As Lanc's says we should get a good result against BR on Saturday (4-1).

Think tonight was the end of our season (hopefully in some ways). We should get a few points over the next three games (Gas, Wombles and Pompy) but it will be all too little to late. Anyway, just staying up (in most reasonable supporters minds) was the objective.:cautious:

“We are not on a level playing field with Peterborough, with the resources they have, it is mountains away..”
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/gillingham-v-peterborough-reaction-242574/?cmpredirect

He's not wrong. As well as a wealthy owner in macanthony they also went out and secured external investment.

They have a great player development model but it requires the ability to sign talent and that costs. They've made millions in transfer profits and the likes of dembele will be next.

The only surprise for me is that they are league one still. It just shows that even with massive backing it's not easy to get promoted.

This isn't a dig at scally but the two clubs are miles apart in potential. Survival scally can deliver, and I am thankful for that but progression is beyond him. That's a bit frustrating.

I don’t like to post immediately after a defeat because my judgment is clouded.
My summary now is that in the second half, they were just miles better.
They look like a promotion side.
We meanwhile, can but hope to get to 50 points as quickly as possible and enjoy the ride.
Yep. Save promotion to the Championship for next season when I can be back in Block 4 enjoying it properly.

Have to agree with Lanc's, for me it was not the errors by Bonham, but the 15 minutes of fantastic play by Dembele that undid us.

At half time I thought, same again and we've got this won, pity Posh didn't follow the script. At the end of the day they were a far better team than us. As Lanc's says we should get a good result against BR on Saturday (4-1).

Think tonight was the end of our season (hopefully in some ways). We should get a few points over the next three games (Gas, Wombles and Pompy) but it will be all too little to late. Anyway, just staying up (in most reasonable supporters minds) was the objective.:cautious:
I'd like to think we'd get a few points, but I immediately thought Plymouth, Northamton & Burton.

The general tenor of posts on last night's game is sound. We are where we are and put up a good account of ourselves. Good teams force errors and Peterborough did just that. Evans' comments broadly correct but he naturally overstates his case a bit but note his acknowledgement of how well run Peterborough are and how they have acquired and managed those playing resources. They look an all round better team than some of the other big money teams, who haven't spent wisely and haven't prospered.

However I do feel we can compete with the top clubs, yet not for long enough. We were the better side by far first half and score a penalty.

TBF they came out fired up and with a different shape second half and score 3 (so far).

When things click for us I do think we are an upper half table side. But we are A-not clinical enough when we have our moments and B-a little naive with game management at times.
Yes agree with this assessment. People on this thread talk about a gulf in class between us and the top sides. There was certainly no gulf in class in the first half last night, where we had 6 shots at goal to their 1 (BBC stats), and I thought they looked a very poor side. The tactical change at half time made a big difference, as did Bonham's drop for the 1st goal and the deflected 2nd.
For long periods we were the better side against Lincoln and we were unlucky to only get a draw at Sunderland. Although these so called top sides have the money and can pay for top players, it's how they apply themselves that's the key. Sunderland, for example get 30,000 crowds and have a massive income (not this season) and yet have been in league one for 4 seasons now.
Our need is for a top quality striker.

Yes agree with this assessment. People on this thread talk about a gulf in class between us and the top sides. There was certainly no gulf in class in the first half last night, where we had 6 shots at goal to their 1 (BBC stats), and I thought they looked a very poor side. The tactical change at half time made a big difference, as did Bonham's drop for the 1st goal and the deflected 2nd.
For long periods we were the better side against Lincoln and we were unlucky to only get a draw at Sunderland. Although these so called top sides have the money and can pay for top players, it's how they apply themselves that's the key. Sunderland, for example get 30,000 crowds and have a massive income (not this season) and yet have been in league one for 4 seasons now.
Our need is for a top quality striker.

Our need is for the club to survive...

He's not wrong. As well as a wealthy owner in macanthony they also went out and secured external investment.

They have a great player development model but it requires the ability to sign talent and that costs. They've made millions in transfer profits and the likes of dembele will be next.

The only surprise for me is that they are league one still. It just shows that even with massive backing it's not easy to get promoted.

This isn't a dig at scally but the two clubs are miles apart in potential. Survival scally can deliver, and I am thankful for that but progression is beyond him. That's a bit frustrating.
and of course Posh had the sense to get rid of that s*** of a manager they had a couple of years ago (I wonder what happened to him..)

and of course Posh had the sense to get rid of that s*** of a manager they had a couple of years ago (I wonder what happened to him..)

I'll bite.

Hes better than Lovell, Pennock, Taylor who preceded him.

I think his race is run with us and he will move on in the summer but he was a step up on the last three.

I'll bite.

Hes better than Lovell, Pennock, Taylor who preceded him.

I think his race is run with us and he will move on in the summer but he was a step up on the last three.
I hope so; he's certainly doing his best to promote his case to get a better offer - repeatedly claiming (Trump-like) that he has the lowest budget (obvious rubbish) smallest squad, can't compete, but somehow due to his brilliance we're managing to get to mid-table.
But Scally & Evans probably deserve each other, so they and we may have to suffer again next year from this gordian knot
But I will grin and bear it and renew ST hoping to come through the other side

Bit late to the table but fwiw I thought we played well 1st half and had Posh on the ropes a bit, but probably needed a second goal when on top. Looking back, I now think they decided to play within themselves and have a bit of a look at us 1st half, then came back out and blew us away. Best team I've seen this season. Bit like Lincoln but didn't need to bother with the cynical stuff. Surprised Evans majored on our errors. He could have bigged up Posh and left it there. Ultimately our errors came from being utterly overwhelmed.