The Pepe Reina Thread | Vital Football

The Pepe Reina Thread

No doubt he'll be a great guy to have around the dressing room. Experienced, good character and has been one of the best in the world in his position. Been a season and half since he was a regular though, can he still do it? I hope so.

With rumours of the Piatek deal still live, is this the man that helps tempt him here? Help settle into the area etc.

Schmeichel remains the best goalie I've ever seen. He was the same age as Reina is now wheb he joined us. He's also one of the worst keepers I've seen play for Villa....and he had been playing regular matches at the highest level prior to joining. Second best keeper was Shilts and we all know how rapid his decline went in 1990. Ditto Seaman.

I know we can point to Friedel as an example of how a late 30s keeper can carry on performing but more often than not their reflexes and agility start fading very very quickly in latter years. Hope I'm wrong but I think this is an absolute disaster of a signing and a very regrettable use of one of the loan spaces.

Its that clamour for a big name and some inspiration but all I'm seeing and hearing is ridicule and disbelief that that he still plays!

That said, even a reina in decline likely equals nyland for ability.

Im not usually this negative, your honor.

Welcome pepe....make me look an ignorant twat please.

Desperate. Smacks of Robert Pires all over again, an over the hill ex legend everyone thought had retired years ago with a very attractive wife .

Hope his experience steadies the ship. Hope he's fit and raring to go. Etc and so on.