The Past Week | Vital Football

The Past Week

SaskPool

Vital Football Legend
In the past week, we have lost to two very decent teams in Wycombe and Oxford, both with the same 2-1 result. That is where the similarities end.

In the Wycombe game, we put on one of our poorest performances in memory. We only came alive when Frenchie and Feeney were introduced in the second half. Then and only then did we wake up.

Yesterday's game was much different to me. Don't get me wrong. There were many flaws but a draw would have been fair but for Madine's miss in the dying minutes. Keep in mind that we've brought in 12 and sent 12 out in the past window; 6 of our starting 11 yesterday are new to the club, some who have only been with us days.

I saw lots of promising green shoots. Maxwell played well and did himself no harm at all. Dewsbury-Hall and Ronan are talented and clever - excellent loanees in my opinion. Madine and Frenchie worked well together at times and Madine's goal was very well taken. Bola though, so far, has been a disappointment. He's very good going forward but, in both games, he's been outwitted in defense. Needless to say, it will take time to make this new team to gel.

I'm thinking SS will stick with SG for a while. After all, he's backed him financially with the new dozen!

Like everyone, I'm not happy with all this but I'm mildly (very mildly!) optimistic. And for now I'm sticking with that.

I just hope that next Sunday morning, you're not all saying, "Sask, we told you so!"

I agree with a lot of that Sask. The kids you mention look to have real futures in the game. I am not convinced that Frenchie was ineffective yesterday even though I excused some of this to bad service we need some pace and guile up front they aren't a foil for each other.

SS has invested in Larry and I accept this must be given maybe to the end of the season. I hope I'm wrong but don't see SG as the answer, and the poor football isn't how I want to be entertained.

What you didn't see was Oxford do a lap of honour after the game.

The future is bright because we have Simon S!!

UTVMP!! See you at Brizzle

I was just in the process of a new thread along the lines of last 5 v next 5 .

Last few we've played Oxford ( best ive seen at home this year ) Wycombe, Reading ( twice ) Lincoln ( getting it together under applehead ) and Rotherham. a Championship team, 1st and 2nd in the league. All this with a new squad. The next few fixtures will either push us up or finish our season. Southend, Gills, The Gas, AFC , murderers and ipshit. the last two IMO for obvious reasons being the toughest to get anything from. promotion form is 2pts a game and I would hope for 12pts from these 6. Anything less then Larry should be shown the door giving a new man with a decent squad half a chance of a playoff spot

Don't forget lads that some of those players you mentioned are only loanees. At the end of the season, then what? I think it's time to get rid of SG now!

Forget the playoffs, we are more likely facing an effort to not get sucked into relegation

10 winless games surely puts him under pressure.

We have dropped from vying for 2nd place to now being 13pts off the last play-off spot.

I think SG initially set defensive tactics not to lose games and win by hitting teams on the break, great for away games but at home surely you must use home games to our advantage and attack teams.

The home atmosphere on Sat was soul less compared to the vocal support we get.
I would like to see Madine and Frenchie as a starting front 2. Playing 1 up at home is allowing teams to attack us.

We have lost our best defender and whilst the defence undergoes a settling period and personnel are swapped until we find the best back 4 midfield must be set up to support the front 2 by playing off them.

I would like to see the team on Sat being one of 3-5-2 with the 5 having 2 players as forward playing fullbacks. allowing the others in midfield to play off and go forward to cross and get the ball in to the box.

I know this is the formation SG played on Sat but for me, he had the wrong team selection.

Feeney has been shocking for 3 months.

For me
GK - Knobber
A back 3 of Heneghan, Moore then either Edwards or Husband, Thorniley looks way off the pace at the minute.
2 Full backs playing from a midfield position that forces teams to go down the middle Howe or Turton and Bola.

Turton has been solid this season and whilst Bola is getting match fitness in his engine will do whats required.

The midfield 3 I would have Lesturd and Wolves kid in with 1 in the middle, the other on the right and Delf on the left.
Madine and Frenchie as a front 2.

Virtue has been unlucky to be dropped in my opinion, he was playing far more solidly than Spearing who looks tired. I'm not surprised he has carried midfield for 2 years on his own but for me he currently lacks the presence of a captain.

It's putting a lot on to the young loanees but they have been 2 of our best players in the games they have played.
No problems with lumping it up from defence, Madine holds the ball well. but lets bring players in to support them and pick the ball up.

Attack is the best form of defence, a loss on Saturday will add the pressure already on SG.

In the past week, we have lost to two very decent teams in Wycombe and Oxford, both with the same 2-1 result. That is where the similarities end.

In the Wycombe game, we put on one of our poorest performances in memory. We only came alive when Frenchie and Feeney were introduced in the second half. Then and only then did we wake up.

Yesterday's game was much different to me. Don't get me wrong. There were many flaws but a draw would have been fair but for Madine's miss in the dying minutes. Keep in mind that we've brought in 12 and sent 12 out in the past window; 6 of our starting 11 yesterday are new to the club, some who have only been with us days.

I saw lots of promising green shoots. Maxwell played well and did himself no harm at all. Dewsbury-Hall and Ronan are talented and clever - excellent loanees in my opinion. Madine and Frenchie worked well together at times and Madine's goal was very well taken. Bola though, so far, has been a disappointment. He's very good going forward but, in both games, he's been outwitted in defense. Needless to say, it will take time to make this new team to gel.

I'm thinking SS will stick with SG for a while. After all, he's backed him financially with the new dozen!

Like everyone, I'm not happy with all this but I'm mildly (very mildly!) optimistic. And for now I'm sticking with that.

I just hope that next Sunday morning, you're not all saying, "Sask, we told you so!"

"Sask, we told you so"