The Owners & CEO Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Owners & CEO Thread

Well, actually Lerner was seen by all in Cleveland as the worst owner in the NFL and presided over years of dross.... Edens at least has a recent track record of over-achievement with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Yup, because he didn't want it - it was his daddies baby, not his by choice.

But that's the point I was trying to make (and remember for all RL did spend wise, ethos wise, even down to turning Villa Park as carbon neutral as he could with rainwater syphoned to feed our allotments that created veg for VMF etc) his experience was taking up the role, not wanting it.

Edens wanted the role and got it.

I see the DoF (Pitarch) and Head Coach (Smith) being the problem to be honest. I understand completely why Purslow rubs people the wrong way, as he has an arrogance that can be annoying. However, if you look at the body of work on the recruitment and playing side, that's where the problems are. The summer was a false dawn with too many unknowns and not enough experience (Smith stated in the summer that he didn't really want to lose all of the experience in the squad , especially Jedinak apparently) and then the January window was nothing short of embarrassing. Essentially we brought in three stop-gaps to replace the injured players and absolutely nothing else. Whether it was Smith or Pitarch that determined that was a sufficient route, we'll never know, but it was abysmal.
If I were a betting man I'd put good money on Pitarch being gone at the end of the season. Beyond that I'm not sure...

But, you've got the other side of the coin of the CEO putting completely unrealistic expectations on the season by his poor choice of words (whether he genuinely believed them or not).

To some degree that hits those below him with pressure that wasn't needed.

But, you've got the other side of the coin of the CEO putting completely unrealistic expectations on the season by his poor choice of words (whether he genuinely believed them or not).

To some degree that hits those below him with pressure that wasn't needed.
I watched that interview when he set those expectations. To be fair, he was pushed and pushed by the journo into giving an answer after previous 20 minutes of the journo talking bollox about the spending. But imagine if he'd have answered by saying we're happy to finish 17th. He'd have been crucified....

Now that we are virtually relegated it's time to reflect and think about the future. I don't get the dislike of Purslow. He's the CEO, has a public persona (that some will find cringeworthy), but he's not responsible for football matters. He is responsible for hiring and firing, so we can judge him on Suso, Smith et al.

At the time they all seemed sound enough and they were the right direction. He should be judged on his statements and actions this summer. I'm not in the privileged position to understand the mind if the owners nor the CEO, so it is futile to speculate.

What have we learned? We bought a new team with £127m, added a couple in Jan, but overall recruitment has not been what we had hoped for, despite the constraints. Does that mean we sack off everyone and go in a completely new direction? No, we understand who will be useful and build again on better foundations.

The challenge is to improve in every position. If we can't improve we have to stick with what we have until we can improve.

The unknown here is Edens.

Yes RL had the Browns as a background, but that wasn't his baby or his love, he stuck his tenure to honour his dad.

Edens wanted the Bucks, he wanted the challenge and he's lived it properly.

That was my point , for all the good things Randy did I think I am right in saying he hadn't made his own money , whereas these two seem to have done , and I don't think you can make that much money without A/ Being ruthless barstewards and B/ Getting a few decisions right along the way.

Yup, because he didn't want it - it was his daddies baby, not his by choice.

But that's the point I was trying to make (and remember for all RL did spend wise, ethos wise, even down to turning Villa Park as carbon neutral as he could with rainwater syphoned to feed our allotments that created veg for VMF etc) his experience was taking up the role, not wanting it.

Edens wanted the role and got it.
Well he chose to take it out of respect for his deceased Dad, but could have chosen to sell or bring someone in who actually had a clue about the NFL to be fair.
Although Randy "chose" Villa, to me it was a romantic notion based on his term at Oxford from his younger years. I see it happen all the time with people who spend a short time in a country and think all of a sudden that it's their "spiritual home" and are desperate to return. Difference with Randy was he had more money than he knew what to do with and decided to spend it on a football club... The beginning of the end for Lerner was when his personal life changed and he had no choice but to spend most of his time in the US so he could see his kids...

That was my point , for all the good things Randy did I think I am right in saying he hadn't made his own money , whereas these two seem to have done , and I don't think you can make that much money without A/ Being ruthless barstewards and B/ Getting a few decisions right along the way.
That is correct SirDen. He had some high-ranking positions in the financial world where he made good money, but the vast majority of that was through inheritance. I'd hazard a guess that Sawiris and Edens have far greater business nous.....

Now that we are virtually relegated it's time to reflect and think about the future. I don't get the dislike of Purslow. He's the CEO, has a public persona (that some will find cringeworthy), but he's not responsible for football matters. He is responsible for hiring and firing, so we can judge him on Suso, Smith et al.

At the time they all seemed sound enough and they were the right direction. He should be judged on his statements and actions this summer. I'm not in the privileged position to understand the mind if the owners nor the CEO, so it is futile to speculate.

What have we learned? We bought a new team with £127m, added a couple in Jan, but overall recruitment has not been what we had hoped for, despite the constraints. Does that mean we sack off everyone and go in a completely new direction? No, we understand who will be useful and build again on better foundations.

The challenge is to improve in every position. If we can't improve we have to stick with what we have until we can improve.
And from that, the big IF is can we hold on to the young (sub 28) players who can be that foundation. Modern football with the Bosman ruling, and especially agents (aka greedy scumbags) have created a system in which players have the power to force a move. I would be very optimistic if I thought that our midfield next season was based around Luiz and McGinn, and that the back-four would definitely include Konsa and Hause. I also believe that Wesley will turn out to be far better than most on here think he will. Along with Steer, that's the spine of a very decent championship team and with some high quality additions in other areas could be more than capable in the premier league with two years of experience together.
Mings and Grealish have made it clear, by their attitude and work-rate since January that they will be off, and I'm OK with that. In fact, I hope they both leave as soon as the season is over, so that we don't have to put up with all the media BS speculation.

And from that, the big IF is can we hold on to the young (sub 28) players who can be that foundation. Modern football with the Bosman ruling, and especially agents (aka greedy scumbags) have created a system in which players have the power to force a move. I would be very optimistic if I thought that our midfield next season was based around Luiz and McGinn, and that the back-four would definitely include Konsa and Hause. I also believe that Wesley will turn out to be far better than most on here think he will. Along with Steer, that's the spine of a very decent championship team and with some high quality additions in other areas could be more than capable in the premier league with two years of experience together.
Mings and Grealish have made it clear, by their attitude and work-rate since January that they will be off, and I'm OK with that. In fact, I hope they both leave as soon as the season is over, so that we don't have to put up with all the media BS speculation.
Said it before, we are overreliant in SJG and that could be to the detriment of the team. We have become a one man team and if he doesn't perform we suffer.

I watched that interview when he set those expectations. To be fair, he was pushed and pushed by the journo into giving an answer after previous 20 minutes of the journo talking bollox about the spending. But imagine if he'd have answered by saying we're happy to finish 17th. He'd have been crucified....

He worked for Liverpool, he should be better. The interview was carried - let the spastic journo crop his comments and then Purslow has the upper hand when releasing the full interview.

Use it as an example of bunker mentality to rally the boys etc.

You don't say happy to....you say first year back with so many changes, we'll be disappointed but obviously accept....but we want more.

It's media 101.

The second you get questioned - turn it on the journo to do their homework and get the full quote. Take the power in the room and show you won't be fucked with, because you've already prepared and have the quote to hand knowing the ways it'll be cropped.

The only caveat there out of fairness is RL made his own money to enjoy a bloody good life through his own actions and businesses. However, his greater money came from dad and that took him from a bloody good life to one where he doesn't have to worry about money again.

But yes, the Browns (his sporting experience) wasn't his love or wheelhouse. He brought us through love and showed it I would say, until it soured and he wasn't helped by personal issues at the time either.

Edens is a step above sporting wise, because he has active experience that wasn't foisted upon him, he wanted it. I also believe neither inherited their wealth (or the bulk of it, they made it).

We weren't a love purchase, unlike RL, we were business with a nod to history and what could be and available cheaply because of the Good Tweeter.

If they put that nouse into us and combine it with RL's community spirit, yes, it'll take a few years, but I'll be massively happy.

They've pumped money in already as we know but it's been on foundation building, I'd like to see some altruistic element at some point like RL - then we have the mix. But it still applies to both - are the appointments right?

Well he chose to take it out of respect for his deceased Dad, but could have chosen to sell or bring someone in who actually had a clue about the NFL to be fair.
Although Randy "chose" Villa, to me it was a romantic notion based on his term at Oxford from his younger years. I see it happen all the time with people who spend a short time in a country and think all of a sudden that it's their "spiritual home" and are desperate to return. Difference with Randy was he had more money than he knew what to do with and decided to spend it on a football club... The beginning of the end for Lerner was when his personal life changed and he had no choice but to spend most of his time in the US so he could see his kids...

I'm not buying that mate. He could've walked away instantly, stopped funding, let it go towards our equivalent of admin or whatever, but he did his best to tick until new owners. I can't remember who was running the Browns during his tenure but I know they were familiar enough names, and it was long known he wanted to sell but sell to the right owner to honour his dad.

And from my NFL memory, they had a decent upkick under the new ownership for a period as well - sadly unlike us where he tried to achieve the same thing lol

By your same argument, should we toss off Prince William as a fan, Tom Hanks, does Nigel Kennedy have a season ticket? - we're back to the bigger fan debate that I hate. He had more money than this forum combined could muster I imagine and he chose to sink over £300+m into us, it didn't work on the pitch owing to 'legal glasses' and it went downhill and we still had some good days.

But you never been prouder than Acorns (a financial mistake in reality), VMF and everything else?

The latter point of your post I completely agree with and it's also one of the things I don't blame him for either.

But we're all romantics - if your blood turns claret and blue, you don't need to provide a logbook for it after all....and detail each years commitment.

I started out as a Blues fan, attending their games - it was all I knew.

Yes Mings and Grealish should leave as soon as possible after season end. Wouldn't mind some of the wasters going as well. In fact Luis MCG and Heaton together with Hause and maybe konsa are the only ones worthy of note for next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Purslow stays...I can't see a valid argument against that. Suso, clear your desk asap.

The owners are worth a zillion, fontrillion, gillion pounds....if that's the case, they wont really be affected by writing this project off as a disaster and moving on. Sign of a good businessman that is.

Uncomfortable to read but also true. Not by any stretch saying this will happen, but until its confirmed it wont upon relegation best to consider all scenarios. Ramblings of a drunk man. Again.

Purslow stays...I can't see a valid argument against that. Suso, clear your desk asap.

The owners are worth a zillion, fontrillion, gillion pounds....if that's the case, they wont really be affected by writing this project off as a disaster and moving on. Sign of a good businessman that is.

Uncomfortable to read but also true. Not by any stretch saying this will happen, but until its confirmed it wont upon relegation best to consider all scenarios. Ramblings of a drunk man. Again.

Don't think the owners are people who give up. No reason to. They were dead serious about having a project to take over a football club and get it to the top. I think they were realistic in their expectations; they knew it would take time and there'd be ups and downs. We've just had a down, nothing more.

Looking at the way they've gone into the club, gone through it with a fine tooth combe, and put a hell of a lot of resources into restructuring it and making it into what a top club should be, I think they're dead serious and this is just a blip on the road.

I think we're far better off this time around than last time. Stability, good owners, a squad which can be built on. Main requirement is a driving force on the touch line and on the training pitch.

By the way, don't get the anti-Mings hype. He's had a bit of a mixed season but then they all have. A better coach could work wonders.

I'm not buying that mate. He could've walked away instantly, stopped funding, let it go towards our equivalent of admin or whatever, but he did his best to tick until new owners. I can't remember who was running the Browns during his tenure but I know they were familiar enough names, and it was long known he wanted to sell but sell to the right owner to honour his dad.

And from my NFL memory, they had a decent upkick under the new ownership for a period as well - sadly unlike us where he tried to achieve the same thing lol

By your same argument, should we toss off Prince William as a fan, Tom Hanks, does Nigel Kennedy have a season ticket? - we're back to the bigger fan debate that I hate. He had more money than this forum combined could muster I imagine and he chose to sink over £300+m into us, it didn't work on the pitch owing to 'legal glasses' and it went downhill and we still had some good days.

But you never been prouder than Acorns (a financial mistake in reality), VMF and everything else?

The latter point of your post I completely agree with and it's also one of the things I don't blame him for either.

But we're all romantics - if your blood turns claret and blue, you don't need to provide a logbook for it after all....and detail each years commitment.

I started out as a Blues fan, attending their games - it was all I knew.

Not sure where the Prince and Nigel Kennedy comparisons come in...or where I started a debate about who's a bigger fan? I just said that he "fell in love" with Villa after deciding to make the part-time move back to these shores. Not denying that he loved the Villa, or that he cared. I'm simply making the point that his original motivation was borne out of fond memories from his short time here as a college student. If he didn't have all the wealth and decide to buy a club then I highly doubt he'd have been trotting over on a monthly basis to sit in the Trinity lower to watch Villa. And yes, I was proud of Acorns, again not sure where anything I said indicated that I was anti-Lerner to be fair.

Oh, and the Browns have been terrible ever-since they were re-established in Cleveland 20 odd years ago, despite making multiple changes at every level and maximizing their cap to get some of the best talent and draft picks on offer. They were a virtual laughing stock under Randy's ownership and are still very much a poor team now. Their last play-off appearance was in 2002 which is the second longest streak of no-play-offs in the entire league.

He worked for Liverpool, he should be better. The interview was carried - let the spastic journo crop his comments and then Purslow has the upper hand when releasing the full interview.

Use it as an example of bunker mentality to rally the boys etc.

You don't say happy to....you say first year back with so many changes, we'll be disappointed but obviously accept....but we want more.

It's media 101.

The second you get questioned - turn it on the journo to do their homework and get the full quote. Take the power in the room and show you won't be fucked with, because you've already prepared and have the quote to hand knowing the ways it'll be cropped.
Not going to argue with any of that because all of those media-handling-skills that you're talking about are well above my pay-grade. I've conducted plenty of interviews myself for local TV and radio over here and nobody ever coached me or taught me that type of methodology....

It's difficult to know exactly what Purslow does however if he was responsible for bringing Suso in and if he's responsible for decisions on the manager (i.e. giving Smith a contract extension or whatever it actually was and choosing to keep him all this time) then that doesn't really reflect that well.

I'm sure he does loads on the commercial side but this really isn't as important as what happens on the pitch.

It's difficult to know exactly what Purslow does however if he was responsible for bringing Suso in and if he's responsible for decisions on the manager (i.e. giving Smith a contract extension or whatever it actually was and choosing to keep him all this time) then that doesn't really reflect that well.

I'm sure he does loads on the commercial side but this really isn't as important as what happens on the pitch.
Naive Pangloss, football is a business and as such all the stuff away from the pitch sets up what happens on the pitch. No idea if Purslow is the right man or not, but the CEO is as critical as the coaching staff IMHO.

On another subject, why are we still talking about Randy Lerner and the Cleveland Browns - ancient history chaps Hitting. We must have done that to death by now.

Naive Pangloss, football is a business and as such all the stuff away from the pitch sets up what happens on the pitch. No idea if Purslow is the right man or not, but the CEO is as critical as the coaching staff IMHO.

On another subject, why are we still talking about Randy Lerner and the Cleveland Browns - ancient history chaps Hitting. We must have done that to death by now.
To don't think it's that simple, they both feed into each other. You can of course be a well run club without doing all that well on the pitch but ultimately to maximise the business value you have to deliver well on the pitch right? The value of us as an asset appreciates the better we do, this drives better opportunities for income (prize money, sponsorship etc). So I completely stand by my point here, if Purslow is a key decision maker when it comes to key on the pitch decisions, specifically around the recruitment of a DoF and decisions to retain the manager, then he has been found wanting.