The Owners & CEO Thread | Page 25 | Vital Football

The Owners & CEO Thread

I agree with that quote on Villa, we always have struggled - modern era at least - to take that final step.

Are we taking it now?

We will know in a season or two I guess. Top four? Not on current showing but it might all be part of how they see the re-build and we might put our foot down on the accelerator. Thought with the £ departure this summer, it might be the time though.

I would love to know what our real strategy is now. If we are to break the top 4 something needs to chance dramatically, otherwise the gap will be too far to close forever imo. We are in danger of becoming a team whose only realistic ambition will be to win the league cup.

I would love to know what our real strategy is now. If we are to break the top 4 something needs to chance dramatically, otherwise the gap will be too far to close forever imo. We are in danger of becoming a team whose only realistic ambition will be to win the league cup.
The top four is basically unbreakable without consistently very high spending well in excess than what our owners have put up so far. I don't think we will ever do it (at least in terms of consolidating that position).

We are very unlikely to break into top 4 with this squad, I'll give you that. I'd say get the best out of what we've got, review at end of season, and push on with higher level signings.

To bring success you have to push the boat out quite alot. We have had to come from a long way back. We have had to spend alot to get back to an even footing .
Starting our third year back it's valid to ask and review where we are .
Unfortunately we have had a huge set back with him going .

As I understood it the target this season is Europe. I don't read that as being low mid-table again unless him leaving has moved the goalposts ?
We as I said the other day look no better than Palace or Brighton, two clubs we all consider to be smaller than us but that are just as likely to get Europe as us.

As I understood it the target this season is Europe. I don't read that as being low mid-table again unless him leaving has moved the goalposts ?
We as I said the other day look no better than Palace or Brighton, two clubs we all consider to be smaller than us but that are just as likely to get Europe as us.
Well we've had up to 8 players missing so far at any time this season so let's not shit in our hands and rub it in our hair just yet.

top four is a closed shop im afraid..... regular europa league qualification is really what we should strive for at present..... unless we want to mortgage the club to the hilt... and no one wants that

Think what him leaving has done is created a degree of uncertainty. It might knock us back a couple of places, it might have us at a standstill for this year, it might be that we can regroup and press forwards.

I'm hoping for press forwards, if only because I go for the positive view. But I think it will be well into the second half of the season before it's clear where we're going. I reckon aiming at Europe is right. I'm sticking with 5-8th and think we'll be there or there abouts.

The former number 10 leaving has got to have changed expectations. You take a player of his calibre out if any premier league team bar man city and they will be far worse off. Swap lukaku for Werner in the game earlier and we probably get a point. Players at that level of quality make a big difference.

The former number 10 leaving has got to have changed expectations. You take a player of his calibre out if any premier league team bar man city and they will be far worse off. Swap lukaku for Werner in the game earlier and we probably get a point. Players at that level of quality make a big difference.
Yep It was looking good when we signed Buendia and even Young then the bombshell and turning in a slight profit , if we'd kicked on with the 100m and brought in a new CB, Midfielder and a new Keeper t challenge the players we currently have I'd say we meant business but to go with Steer and borrow Axe, something isn't right. Maybe FFPbut we certainly aren't getting top 6

Yep It was looking good when we signed Buendia and even Young then the bombshell and turning in a slight profit , if we'd kicked on with the 100m and brought in a new CB, Midfielder and a new Keeper t challenge the players we currently have I'd say we meant business but to go with Steer and borrow Axe, something isn't right. Maybe FFPbut we certainly aren't getting top 6

I genuinely don't see it being FFP unless match day related income has bottomed out far far far more than I imagined during Covid - so we've erred safe safe side.

By my reckoning (drunk, hairy, types in his living room and bedroom even though maths aren't a strong point), we could've easily covered any FFP issues and still spent another £50million.

Maybe targets weren't available so we are being patient???

The window feels like a lost opportunity to me though after everything else and it doesn't make sense given what NSWE have already pumped in.

I'm not sure they really expected him to go till very late on. That's part of why I'm so pissed off at him. Its like MON flouncing out a week before the season. If he'd gone in June we might have been in a better position to spend that 100m.

I'm not sure they really expected him to go till very late on. That's part of why I'm so pissed off at him. Its like MON flouncing out a week before the season. If he'd gone in June we might have been in a better position to spend that 100m.
Yes that's it with me he was poncing around advertising the new home shirt two weeks later he's gone .
Makes me wonder who we were going to sign if he stayed, just Young and Buendia? Hardly the exciting targets Dean mentioned. I think the chav shit is even worse than MON.
Set us back two seasons, we really have no idea if these new players will be any good or not. Talk of the team being stronger overall is already looking like nonsense talk

Yes that's it with me he was poncing around advertising the new home shirt two weeks later he's gone .
Makes me wonder who we were going to sign if he stayed, just Young and Buendia? Hardly the exciting targets Dean mentioned. I think the chav shit is even worse than MON.
Set us back two seasons, we really have no idea if these new players will be any good or not. Talk of the team being stronger overall is already looking like nonsense talk

You aren't going to be stronger after losing someone who I believe is a world class player. The main thing I've taken from the start of this season is that at the very least we look better without him now than we did without him last season. And that's with us having a fractured pre season, injury after injury and the international break rubbish. We aren't getting into Europe but we aren't falling too far from where we were last time around.

Not sure what's going on at the club, heard JT contract was not renewed hence his "resignation " , ROK departure is bizarre, the antics of the argies is borderLine anarchy, Bailey does his own presser from a Jamaican shed, back to the dire 2021 form