The Ørjan Nyland Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

The Ørjan Nyland Thread

Sadly out of his class. He isn't good enough. I don't blame him for that as he's obviously reached his level. We're going to need another new keeper even when Heaton is fit again.

He wasn't even good enough in the Championship, he made countless errors, so there's no surprise he's shit at this level.

He is just dreadful. A few fizzy pop cup games have clouded peoples judgement. We are back to normal service with him.

I can forgive a keeper for the odd mistake but nearly every game? . 4 games in to the restart and he has spilled the ball into his own net after a light shove from Pele Davis and completely misthrown the ball in another game. It really is schoolboy stuff .

The worst keeper I have ever seen in a villa shirt.

He is just dreadful. A few fizzy pop cup games have clouded peoples judgement. We are back to normal service with him.

I can forgive a keeper for the odd mistake but nearly every game? . 4 games in to the restart and he has spilled the ball into his own net after a light shove from Pele Davis and completely misthrown the ball in another game. It really is schoolboy stuff .

The worst keeper I have ever seen in a villa shirt.
Enckleman, outside of two headline errors against Birmingham was far more competent.

Wonder if he'll get dropped seems strange he wasn't good enough all along but a couple of heroic displays against Leicester and him suddenly deserves his chance, Typical Knee jerk stuff from football fans. That's like expecting Neil Taylor to suddenly turn into Roberto Carlos.

Class and consistency over time is what earns you a place not a couple of fluke games where everything goes your way.

I doubt he'll get dropped until he actually costs us a game, also why isn't he screaming at Mings to stop blocking his view on every shot , there again why hasn't Smith told Mings to attack the ball.

Enckleman, outside of two headline errors against Birmingham was far more competent.

Always felt really bad for Enckleman. He actually was a big reason why we stayed up that season, he made some big saves in crucial games but he'll only ever be remembered for those 2 derby games. But that is the risk all keepers run.

As for Nyland, all keepers make errors. Every single one. Unfortunately his are just far too frequent. Reina might be a tad erratic but overall I think we'd be better off with him between the posts. Till Steer is back at least.

I have felt for the bloke and wanted him to succeed but sorry enough is enough.

He's a good shot-stopper but the rest of his game leave's you a bag of nerves and that must be transferred to the defenders in front of him.

Last edited:
2 woeful schoolboy errors in 5 matches which should have cost us 2 goals. Reina possibly worse still. I can hardly believe the guys that signed them are still in charge.

The strangest of all his blunders for me was the long range shot he conceded vs Forest in the 5-5 draw....it went literally straight at him, he almost looked borderline match fixer.

But yeah he's not good enough at all. He can pull off the worldies and he often does, but he can't do the basics, which is what helps the defence.

The strangest of all his blunders for me was the long range shot he conceded vs Forest in the 5-5 draw....it went literally straight at him, he almost looked borderline match fixer.

But yeah he's not good enough at all. He can pull off the worldies and he often does, but he can't do the basics, which is what helps the defence.

Yep basic sweeping up and a willingness to have the ball played back is often overlooked but it's what the modern keeper has to excel at .
There was a case early on against Wolves where mings kicked the ball for a throw rather than just tap it back to his keeper. I think he would have played back to Reina as he would have had the call

He makes the odd mistake, but usually gets away with it. Probably a late developer; quite a few keepers are.

He's not the problem.

He's definitely not the main problem, but the regularity of his errors now is massively concerning in terms of a long term future - we can't forget he's also an international.

We can and need to do better, which is a shame as it did look like he'd really settled and improved for a period.