The Ørjan Nyland Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Ørjan Nyland Thread

I think what is hard to factor in is the players mentality and how they will cope with the pressure especially at a club like ours with its history and expectations. Transfer wise we have been a lot like Liverpool we've tried to bring in players a little bit cheaper than what we should have for a club our size and its telling.

For me Nyland was signed because at that level and for the club he was playing for he looked confident and assured. Ability wise he is very capable of incredible saves but whoever signed him never considered that the level over there is a little lower than top end championship and the pressure he would have on his shoulders would be doubled or tripled or more. I mean even a 10% increase would be substantial.

I always pick up for goalkeepers because the position is so misunderstood and views are very skewed. Nyland is a cheaper version of Karius very unassured and shakey and it promotes a level of panic in the defence when there is even a hint of pressure. I wouldnt even keep him as backup because I am unsure he can ever step up when needed and honestly I think he is too good to be a backup. He would do fine for a smaller side with less pressure and is good enough to start at the likes of Brentford or Preston etc.

Nah! Never believed the "pressure for playing for a big club", the phrase Bruce was fond of repeating. It was Bruce who felt that sort of pressure. Any player who's any good will embrace playing for a big club.

The pressure any player has got is doing it on the pitch, for any club. Keepers are very exposed particularly in the Championship. In Nyland's favour is the fact that despite making mistakes he doesn't collapse, marks of a strong temperament. However, he needs to improve, particularly his decision making and the physical aspects. I'd still rate him above Guzan.

I agree about Bruce McParland I think he was the one who couldn't handle a big club, frightened the life out of the players by keep on telling them and not doing much for we fans either.

Any player who's any good will embrace playing for a big club.

In Nyland's favour is the fact that despite making mistakes he doesn't collapse, marks of a strong temperament.

But wouldnt that first statement just negate what you've said? There is no doubt about it you have to have the right mentality, you can call it pressure you can refer to it as 'settling in' but one way or another there is something and it is clear as day with Nyland.
He didnt make mistakes at his previous but he is making many of them now and its not all down to physicality it is the mental aspect - his concentration, worrying abut making a mistake etc.
Goalkeepers have far more pressure on them than any other position on the field because you can't make mistakes. Thor missed an open goal last week which is as criminal as a goalkeeper making a mistake but we won't be talking about him missing chances week in and week out and worrying about the affect that is going to have on those around him.

And I do agree with the second point tbf he hasnt sunk his head or stopped coming for crosses when he makes a mistake like that. Nyland has shown is he can improve as his kicking has improved immensely but time and playing in front of the crowd I really think are the only things that will improve him on the other front.

I agree about Bruce McParland I think he was the one who couldn't handle a big club, frightened the life out of the players by keep on telling them and not doing much for we fans either.

I would hope if any fan was ever interviewed about Bruce that this wasnt the first thing they said. Its pretty clear that Bruce has lagged behind the evolution of the game and if you compare him to Dean Smith it is obvious he wasnt able to coach the side and get them to play.

Grief and pressure (again the mental aspect) massively affected his decision making, and to a lesser degree the uncertainty and turmoil of the club over the summer. As many have pointed out the man just seemed determined to sabotage himself and the club in his final 4 month but I reckon at some in the future he'll be interviewed and he'll blame some third party on the lack of a defence at the club when the window closed.

Personally, I hope we never see Nyland ever again in a Villa shirt, I wish him well where ever he ends up and hope he recovers from his injury by the summer, so we can ship him out somewhere. I've tried to see good in him but just can't and as Dean Smith says all goalkeepers have to be good shot stoppers it's a given at professional level a minimum requirement.
Since he dropped that high ball away at Ipswich he's rarely come for anything and when he has he's made a hash of it.

Lets hope the next one can catch a cross otherwise we'll be having this again in the summer

It's hard to see him staying at Villa. Both Kalinic and Steer are better. If one of them clears off to get guaranteed game time it's possible he'd be backup, but I doubt it. He has talent but maybe not suited to the English game.

No, he's still here, no sure how Nyland is ahead of him as he was brought in to replace him

Oh right, blimey, I also thought he'd been sent out on loan. Goodness me, our recent history (before Heaton who is excellent) with keepers is just unbelievable isn't it?

Oh right, blimey, I also thought he'd been sent out on loan. Goodness me, our recent history (before Heaton who is excellent) with keepers is just unbelievable isn't it?
If only if was just keepers that were the problem with our recent transfer history!

No, he's still here, no sure how Nyland is ahead of him as he was brought in to replace him
Not trying to create a conspiracy theory here, but I have a funny feeling that Kalinic has blotted his copybook with the staff/club. There were rumours flying around last season that the injury wasn't real or that he refused to play. Either way, clearly Nyland is now ahead of him and whether it's disciplinary or better-training, fair play to the lad....
I think that maybe Sarkic is seen as the potential future and apparently he's been doing well up in Scotland....

Nyland did nothing wrong Sunday when he was called upon, but jeez how deflating here we are in the Premier League and we are talking about him.

Nyland did nothing wrong Sunday when he was called upon, but jeez how deflating here we are in the Premier League and we are talking about him.

First time I've ever seen him not look a bag of nerves, he seemed quite confident in his handling, but like all our keepers 3 shots on target and two fly-ins in saying that Heaton wouldn't have got them either