The Origin of Gold | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Origin of Gold

On a slightly different tack....what would happen if large quantities of Gold was found and introduced into the market ?

Also if the supply was endless . Would the value of Gold drop and cause major problems financially. ?

I’m not wading in with any theological stuff. I know what I believe and it’s sitting right with me.
What I dont quite understand is why a heavy metal that’s shiny got to be the most valuable mineral (ok I know even that’s debatable with other chemicals etc being more valuable) and so much fuss was made about it. Why isn’t lead the most valuable? Or tin? It’s strange how we single something out for special value and make an idol out of it, or have I strayed back into the other debate?

May have mentioned this before, I’m reading a book by Dr Hugh Ross called The Improbable Planet, which discusses a lot of these things, especially the ‘Just right amounts’ of all the chemicals and minerals we need for advanced life like ours. It’s really interesting.

Welshtel - 22/10/2017 07:50

I’m not wading in with any theological stuff. I know what I believe and it’s sitting right with me.
What I dont quite understand is why a heavy metal that’s shiny got to be the most valuable mineral (ok I know even that’s debatable with other chemicals etc being more valuable) and so much fuss was made about it. Why isn’t lead the most valuable? Or tin? It’s strange how we single something out for special value and make an idol out of it, or have I strayed back into the other debate?

I guess gold has some properties more appealing. It's light, it doesn't smell, it don't turn green or tarnish, nice colour, soft but hard enough.etc. I would think lead and tin are more abundant on the crust and easier to extract .I actually prefer silver for jewelry , it's more restrained . I even have a Ben Sherman bracelet in stainless steel.

Welshtel - 22/10/2017 07:53

May have mentioned this before, I’m reading a book by Dr Hugh Ross called The Improbable Planet, which discusses a lot of these things, especially the ‘Just right amounts’ of all the chemicals and minerals we need for advanced life like ours. It’s really interesting.

I'm not religious Tel, but all this 'just right ' Goldilocks bollox of billions and billions of random coincidences leading to me posting this message seem more far fetched than intelligent design.

So the properties of gold make it desirable. Quite obvious really but it's interesting to see the elimination process. Rare Earth substances are fascinating and often quite beautiful. I sold some 350 million year old fossils to a lady including a massive dining table made from marble encrusted with sea fossils. Highly polished and lacquered to seal it. I had to deliver it to her house and she showed me her rock Chrystal collection. Stunning and every corner of her house had cabinets full of them . She had some space samples as well which arrived in meteorites.

Some of the large and colourful Chrystal formations she had were breathtaking. Displayed in cabinets with spot lights making them glisten.

Her job was as a therapist of sorts. She uses the minerals to bring calmness to people during group sessions. They say they can feel the power and process the samples experienced to become what they are. I wrapped my hands around a large piece if amethyst about 9 inches square, spikes of Chrystal protruding like skyscrapers in purple. It's hard not to be moved by it and whilst I am pretty sceptical of any impact they may have, I can understand why some people believe in it.

After all a thing of beauty that is part of the incredible process the planet went through in it's formation way before any life was formed does make one think about our place on this planet.

Nick Real Deal - 24/10/2017 12:05

So the properties of gold make it desirable. Quite obvious really but it's interesting to see the elimination process. Rare Earth substances are fascinating and often quite beautiful. I sold some 350 million year old fossils to a lady including a massive dining table made from marble encrusted with sea fossils. Highly polished and lacquered to seal it. I had to deliver it to her house and she showed me her rock Chrystal collection. Stunning and every corner of her house had cabinets full of them . She had some space samples as well which arrived in meteorites.

Some of the large and colourful Chrystal formations she had were breathtaking. Displayed in cabinets with spot lights making them glisten.

Her job was as a therapist of sorts. She uses the minerals to bring calmness to people during group sessions. They say they can feel the power and process the samples experienced to become what they are. I wrapped my hands around a large piece if amethyst about 9 inches square, spikes of Chrystal protruding like skyscrapers in purple. It's hard not to be moved by it and whilst I am pretty sceptical of any impact they may have, I can understand why some people believe in it.

After all a thing of beauty that is part of the incredible process the planet went through in it's formation way before any life was formed does make one think about our place on this planet.

The power of a placebo should never be underestimated; measurable impact of 'powers' in crystal is nil, nada, none.

Even the so called proponents and believers can't agree on what crystals do what 'things'..

I can't say that crystals make me think of anything other than geology and very expensive gem-stones - the only power I've observed with expensive gemstones is the short term benefits you can accrue when giving them to a member of the opposite sex - in which cases, they can be transformative.... :10:

I didn't need healing but did question my own self importance. These sessions were more for mental issues I think, not physical.

Is geology more important than mankind ?

RafasLeftFoot - 25/10/2017 11:31

no one even mentioned the cheese

Just for you; enjoy...

Was the World Made Out of Cheese?

BY JONATHAN KANDELL;
Published: November 17, 1991

CARLO GINZBURG'S BOOK-LINED apartment overlooks the medieval towers of Bologna and the fortress-thick walls of its university, the oldest in Europe. Florence lies only an hour away by train, and Venice isn't much farther. It's hard to imagine a more orthodox setting for a man acclaimed as one of the world's premier historians, with strong expertise in the Italian Renaissance and late Middle Ages.

But ambiance aside, there is nothing conventional about Ginzburg's career or scholarship. His work ignores the powerful Venetian doges and Florentine princes, as well as the other great patrons responsible for the cultural treasures that draw millions of visitors eager to witness the grandeur of Italy's golden age. Instead, Ginzburg has fashioned his lofty reputation by pursuing topics that at first glance might seem arcane, occultist, eccentric. He himself labels his subjects "peripheral phenomena," though he's quick to assert they are as relevant to the course of Western civilization as a biography of Machiavelli or an analysis of Luther's rebellion against the Vatican.

Ginzburg spent six years figuring out what a 16th-century miller meant when he said the world was created from rotting cheese. He devoted even more time unraveling the beliefs of peasants who were denounced by the Inquisition as witches and werewolves. One of Ginzburg's more recent efforts was to link Oedipus' swollen foot and Cinderella's missing slipper to ancient myths about journeying to the afterworld. "I received a letter from a classical scholar a few days ago -- he loved that one and agreed with me completely," Ginzburg says.

This is history? you may well ask. Only a generation ago, history was mainly about great events and leaders marching forward in chronological fashion: 1776, the Declaration of Independence, Washington and Jefferson; 1815, Waterloo, Napoleon and Wellington; 1917, the Bolshevik Revolution, Lenin and Trotsky. If we could recite the dates, describe the cataclysms, memorize the names, we could confidently assume to have mastered the outlines we had of the past.

But in recent years, growing numbers of historians, particularly in Europe, have shifted their inquiries to the mass of humanity who existed outside the political and social mainstream. What did peasants and artisans think about centuries ago? How were their beliefs disseminated, and how did they differ from notions that prevailed in more affluent, literate society?

It continues:

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/17/magazine/was-the-world-made-out-of-cheese.html?pagewanted=all

Nick Real Deal - 24/10/2017 20:49

I didn't need healing but did question my own self importance. These sessions were more for mental issues I think, not physical.

Is geology more important than mankind ?

How was that supposed to work?!

It makes you think about human self importance. A recent fossil find in China has shed new evidence on how birds developed from dinosaurs.

Feathers it transpires are similar to hairs and scales in basic formulation from follicles in the epidermis. It is thought the first feathers on dinosaurs were downy fluff possibly for warmth. They then became decorative for display, colourful and longer . The creatures could not fly but had quite elaborate tail and arm feathers to attract mates. Possibly the creatures found they could glide using what feathers they had. Then evolution took hold and bone structures changed to lighten the skeleton, wishbones formed to allow vigorous flapping of the arms which got longer. Over 50 million years of evolution changed lizards into birds. Then 66 million years ago the event which wiped out the dinosaurs. Somehow some of the smaller feathered species managed to survive, it is not known quite how.

From the first dinosaurs to the evolved feathered ones took approx 200 million years.

Our own evolution has been far quicker of course but we are a very minor cog in the wheel of the earths story.