The Ollie Watkins Thread | Page 38 | Vital Football

The Ollie Watkins Thread

I think Ollie and Tammy would play off each other. Both are mobile, looking for space. Maybe Ollie presses a bit more. 20 goals from each would keep everybody happy.

40 goals for 2 strikers will probably secure a top 4 finish which is why I was saying that if we are going progress into top 6 or hopefully 4 Ollie will need to up his conversion rate . Look how many goals over the years the champions league qualifying clubs strikers get. He stays at the same rate next season we won't go much higher with him alone. If we get another 20 + striker then there will not be so much pressure on Ollie.
Nice problem to have tbh. Building on Ollie's first season. Look forward to seeing what we do.

Apparently, his 14-goal (so far) return is the highest by an English striker in a Premier League 'debut' season since Charlie Austin (18) for QPR in 2014-15.

And he's the first to score 14 in his first PL season since Lacazette at Arsenal in 2017-18.

That's a decent start, and has been mentioned, with VAR and not hitting the woodwork quite so often, Ollie could have easily reached 20.

It confirms what I think about him, I don't see him as a naturally talented footballer and therefore not a natural finisher. That doesn't mean he isn't a good footballer or goalscorer because he is clearly both. His work rate more than makes up for some of his limitations and I have no doubt he will continue to improve.

Seeing his goals from Brentford my impression at the time was he would try and get the ball in the net by any means necessary. A lot of his goals for us also show that hunger and desire.

For the 5 or 6 chances a clinical finisher would put away he gets 5 or 6 from just pure determination and persistence. He forces mistakes that either leads to goals for him or the opposition having to play a little differently.

I agree completely CDX, you can see also when he dribbles his technique isn't the strongest, but compare him to a top technician - in our squad Bert - and I know which I’d rather have.

I see it as areas of his game he needs to work on (finishing, dribbling, control) which will make him even more valuable. And he’s pretty invaluable anyway.

Who came up with that list of nominees? No Dias who won the Players player and football writers award. No sign of Martinez who swept the board for Villa. Bizzare.