The Ollie Watkins Thread | Page 36 | Vital Football

The Ollie Watkins Thread

Loved the goal, great tenacity and desire with a nice finish at the end of it. He could well end up on 15 league goals for the season (which would have been 20 if he wasn't so unlucky with hitting the woodwork). Terrific debut season.

We’re a lot better when we’re pressing high and he’s leading the charge. We can’t do it in all games as we might burn out or get torn apart, but that high pressing seems to suits us when it works and will help Ollie as he can lead the line and players will be supporting him naturally through them pressing high.

Thought he was brilliant last night. He's been far better overall than I'd expected when we signed him. With a little more luck he'd be well on the way to 20 goals by now, that should be his target next season.

What I like most about him is his never say die attitude though. He makes something of balls that he's no right to get onto to. Perfect example last night and last week vs Albion. Great header back across goal for Davis. He seems a really nice, level headed lad as well

Was extremely underwhelmed with his signing. And the reason why was shown last night. Scored one but really should have added at least one more ( which he acknowledged, not for the first time this season). Top top strikers who get their clubs up the league will take those chances . Last summer transfer window I really wanted us to get that guaranteed proven striker.

But no one could be failed to be impressed with his start to life at villa and it all bodes well. Biggest thing is that work rate and tenacity. Wow.

And I think that when we get back to VP and away games and we can see him live we will see much much more in terms of his work rate and off the ball movement. You can get so much more of an overview at live games and see things that the tv just doesn’t capture or is able to show. Really looking forward to seeing Ollie live.

The goal yesterday sums him up and should be a lesson for every professional player. Could easily have stayed down after Holgate fouled him, but scoring was more important. I cringe when I see our own players go to ground under minimal contact, but that moment was a moment of pride for him and the club.

He fits so well into what we're trying to do. It's a long time since we had an athletic striker with a poacher's instinct. He has a big future.

Was extremely underwhelmed with his signing. And the reason why was shown last night. Scored one but really should have added at least one more ( which he acknowledged, not for the first time this season). Top top strikers who get their clubs up the league will take those chances . Last summer transfer window I really wanted us to get that guaranteed proven striker.
If what he's done over the last two seasons, especially accounting for the step up in level, doesn't make him a proven striker then good luck to anyone else we sign.

There are points we have to remember how many chances 'natural' goalscorers like Kane et al miss.

With Ollie not having a Son or a Salah next to him, his misses are magnified - he can definitely improve and he's no Jimmy Greaves - but I still bet Jimmy missed 4/5 times more than he scored.

Ollie's problem is he keeps missing the easier chances and scores the bloody harder ones, so it's more frustrating as a fan.

Great asset to the club. Works hard, seems to want to improve, gives defenders no rest, excellent representative and nice bloke.
His fee seemed a bit steep but he’s worth every penny. I hope he finishes the season having played every match. If we are choosing a player of the year it would be between Ollie, Martinez and Konsa for me.

Great asset to the club. Works hard, seems to want to improve, gives defenders no rest, excellent representative and nice bloke.
His fee seemed a bit steep but he’s worth every penny. I hope he finishes the season having played every match. If we are choosing a player of the year it would be between Ollie, Martinez and Konsa for me.
Do we have a player of the season vote/pole on VV?

IMO finishing wise he's more in the Inzaghi/ Andy Cole mold in that he will miss a decent amount of chances but will also score quite a lot and is always getting into good positions. The amount of times he's offside is also very Inzaghi-esque.

What I think a lot of people forget is that this is his first season in the PL. We saw last season what our players were like stepping up from the Championship. I don't think any of them with the exception of Jack had as big an impact from day one.

He's also hit the woodwork more times than any other EPL player - 7 - and had at least goals 2 robbed by VAR. We are clearly looking at our long-awaited 20-a-season striker here.
Not sure on how to interpret hitting the post so many times. Of course there’s an element of just being unlucky, but also a hint of poor finishing. Either way, he’s done well for us so far but I think there’s even more to come from him. He seems like a guy who’s eager to improve and if he adds a few % to his finishing then yes he’ll start moving up the scoring charts