The Ollie Watkins Thread | Page 30 | Vital Football

The Ollie Watkins Thread

DCL will most likely start, Watkins may get a run off the bench

Most likely you're right. No point in taking Watkins at all though if you aren't going to give him a run vs the weakest team we'll play. I think he'll get 30 minutes at least. Anyone remember the last time a Villa player scored for England? Must be Bent or Ashley Young I'd think.

Ollie could score 5 against San Marino and it would prove nothing in the bigger scheme of things.

He will have tougher games in training.

Most likely you're right. No point in taking Watkins at all though if you aren't going to give him a run vs the weakest team we'll play. I think he'll get 30 minutes at least. Anyone remember the last time a Villa player scored for England? Must be Bent or Ashley Young I'd think.
Bent

Having now actually looked. If Southgate is going to play Ollie it has to be San Marino and possibly Albania.

I'd have said Poland was the more difficult tie there so he'd go tried and tested. But I don't see why Ollie couldn't get 45 minutes a piece in the first two.

That's the logical thing mate but we know Southgate doesn't do things logically

Yup, even if he deems first call up too soon for Marino - it's got to be 45 against Albania to see how he handles it.

Edit - I like Ollie, but let's face it. There have been more natural strikers called up who simply couldn't perform at that level.

Not sure. They took the lead after 30 seconds or something once when Stuart Pearce scored an own goal.

It wasn't an own goal, Pearce made a terrible backpass that was basically a through ball to the San Marino player. I remember watching as a horrified 8 year old.