The Ollie Watkins Thread | Page 25 | Vital Football

The Ollie Watkins Thread

Ollie will benefit from a fully fit Barkley playing in and around him.

Can't have it that he hasn't looked like scoring for 9 games though.
I said he hasn't scored in 9 games but he's starting to drift away from the centre as he's not a natural CF, I think he's a decent player but as my Son has said since he first saw him he's not the main striker

Davis as he's a target man much more suited to having Mings lump 50 yard balls up to him, Barlkey playing in the hole with Ollie and Jack wide but not actual wingers, the back 6 stay put.
I get that Davis doesn't score but neither has Ollie for 9 games and now he doesn't even look like scoring, runs his nuts off and closes down I get that but he isn't a target.
Will never happen. I think Grealish is best out left. On the right we have Traore and El Ghazi who are both making a decent contributions and I think we will get more from Traore as the season goes on.

I think putting Davis in there will harm us and we will score less goals. If we're starting to talk about Watkins moving out left than that's a bad sign about him as a signing IMO.

Personally I think Watkins is pretty decent and should play up front. He's hitting a bad patch due to a combination of bad luck and struggling a bit with the league after a great start, it can happen to players who make this step up. We should back him as a centre forward for the entire season and then sign better competition in the summer. I think we'll see a better Watkins up top next season anyway.

Will never happen. I think Grealish is best out left. On the right we have Traore and El Ghazi who are both making a decent contributions and I think we will get more from Traore as the season goes on.

I think putting Davis in there will harm us and we will score less goals. If we're starting to talk about Watkins moving out left than that's a bad sign about him as a signing IMO.

Personally I think Watkins is pretty decent and should play up front. He's hitting a bad patch due to a combination of bad luck and struggling a bit with the league after a great start, it can happen to players who make this step up. We should back him as a centre forward for the entire season and then sign better competition in the summer. I think we'll see a better Watkins up top next season anyway.

So Watkins on the left.....and sell Jack.
Buy Edouard and trouser the other £70m
:jangel:

Great player, huge part of why we have improved so much this season with his defending from the front and general play. The kid isn't a striker though. I'd love to see him out wide next season on the left in a Mane role with a big man up front, someone to do a similar job to Jiminez at Wolves. It probably won't be Wesley or Davis, but we can live in hope.

Great player, huge part of why we have improved so much this season with his defending from the front and general play. The kid isn't a striker though. I'd love to see him out wide next season on the left in a Mane role with a big man up front, someone to do a similar job to Jiminez at Wolves. It probably won't be Wesley or Davis, but we can live in hope.

I think he's a Mane or Salah but not the main striker, not a winger either, nor is Jack. He's ok for where we are currently but don't see Harry Kane type of striker who is the main man. He's being asked to play the target main man at the mo and he's trying his best but....

I think he's a Mane or Salah but not the main striker, not a winger either, nor is Jack. He's ok for where we are currently but don't see Harry Kane type of striker who is the main man. He's being asked to play the target main man at the mo and he's trying his best but....
Yeah. Grealish needs a free role in behind the striker, so he can drift right, left or central whenever it suits. Watkins can play off the striker on the left wing but could also have a fairly fluid role, playing more centrally or off right whenever it suits.

Interesting. I see him most definitely as the main striker but he’s being asked to do a hell of a lot more than that. Of course he’s not Harry Kane but that’s expecting rather a lot in his first season with us. Push him wide would be a big mistake in his development, like clipping his wings. The kid is desperate to score and as you know... once he gets one he’ll get more.

Perhaps it is no coincidence that his barren period mirrors the period that Barkley has been out of the side. El Ghazi and Traore tend to go wide and focus on scoring themselves rather than pushing through the middle to link up with Ollie. With a game under his belt now, perhaps Barkley will provide the spark to get Ollie scoring again?

6 in 16 but only scored in 3 games. It’s a worry for me.

Not bothered about what he might have had tbh. He hasn’t.

So want him to succeed because it means the team succeeds.

C’mon Ollie . Prove me wrong.

He has been very unlucky and still got 6. He got VARed for his hair! Ffs.

His luck will change if he keeps plugging away.

6 in 16 but only scored in 3 games. It’s a worry for me.

Not bothered about what he might have had tbh. He hasn’t.

So want him to succeed because it means the team succeeds.

C’mon Ollie . Prove me wrong.
I don't think we're that bothered about you being proved wrong. He has done pretty well so far, 6 goals, 2 assists, a direct contribution of 8 in 16 games is not bad.

I think Ollie's lack of goals come down to three things.

He still shows a lack of experience and needs to think a little quicker at this level.
Hes not getting a lot of space. Been very tightly marked in the area but this has created opportunities for the supporting three of Traore, El Ghazi and Grealish.
As somebody said previously (Melon Donkey?) With the likes of Traore and El Ghazi they are always going to try and work the angle and get a shot off themselves.

He still shows a lack of experience and needs to think a little quicker at this level.
Hes not getting a lot of space. Been very tightly marked in the area but this has created opportunities for the supporting three of Traore, El Ghazi and Grealish.
As somebody said previously (Melon Donkey?) With the likes of Traore and El Ghazi they are always going to try and work the angle and get a shot off themselves.

You forgot terrible offside decisions.

He's playing well and working hard. So nearly had an assist to Ramsey Wednesday night as well. I hope he can get back amongst the goals because that is what a striker will always be judged on.

Yes I did say that Xchurch .
Thanks for being bothered about an opinion I had. :hug:

Unless you buy a ready made premier league or champions league striker for zillions it’s more than likely any striker is going to go through these problems at times.

Even if he hasn’t scored in many games his work rate and pace has allowed other players to benefit, and of course he’s also been unlucky with a couple of decisions.