The Ollie Watkins Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

The Ollie Watkins Thread

Ollie will be fine. He maintains a threat in the final third even when he isn't scoring. He occupies defences which creates chances for others. I don't think we have a fundamental problem, not like we had last season. We had a problem against Leeds but that was more the whole team not clicking on the night.

Dean has to get his arm around both Barkley and Grealish, they're both being a little too selfish which I think is driven by wanting to go to the Euro's. He also is going to have to start finding a way to not go through Grealish and start getting Traore up to speed.

:agree::agree::agree::agree:

The only mild consolation for me was Watkins getting on the score sheet, took the pen well, very good play by him just prior to the pen as well.

Six league games in and where I can be critical is in what I see has a bit of passivity and lack of aggression at times. The fundamental issue is his lack of service but I do think he could do a bit more to pressure defences and drop a bit deeper, two things he did very well at against Liverpool.

Ultimately though, 4 goals in 6 games is a very good start.

The only mild consolation for me was Watkins getting on the score sheet, took the pen well, very good play by him just prior to the pen as well.

Six league games in and where I can be critical is in what I see has a bit of passivity and lack of aggression at times. The fundamental issue is his lack of service but I do think he could do a bit more to pressure defences and drop a bit deeper, two things he did very well at against Liverpool.

Yep he's not attacking the ball as it comes in now. We actually provided some service 2nd half but he was stationary waiting for it to arrive and the defenders just took it away.

Yep he's not attacking the ball as it comes in now. We actually provided some service 2nd half but he was stationary waiting for it to arrive and the defenders just took it away.

Valid sort of point but, you also have to consider that when a forward ends up being stationary in the box, it normally means the ball in isn't being played quickly enough. Again normally because the forwards runs and movement isn't being read quickly enough.
This is a problem the Villa have had for most of the last decade particularly, apart from short runs when players get on the same song sheet.

Valid sort of point but, you also have to consider that when a forward ends up being stationary in the box, it normally means the ball in isn't being played quickly enough. Again normally because the forwards runs and movement isn't being read quickly enough.
I agree plus the ball is hardly getting delivered into good areas consistently.

I like to see a CF step up and take a Penalty, that was the only plus from him today.
Then again he looked good out left, which is where I think he'll end up eventually

The Liverpool game will be one of the biggest flash in the pan results in premier league history.
As his hat trick could be. He hasn't looked close to repeat that in any game before or after Liverpool. Miles to go to convince me that he is not another Hogan, bought with no serious pedigree other than one season.

Its is categorically not all down to supply. Never has been , never will. There is a reason why SJ was head and shoulders our best player last season. Quality will always show in any side.

Jury fully and firmly out.

The jury is of course out because he has only played 6 games but already scoring 4 represents a good start unless the expectation is a goal a game? We can see his weaknesses but overall looks a good improvement on what we have had up front since we've been back at this level, based on the evidence so far.

The jury is of course out because he has only played 6 games but already scoring 4 represents a good start unless the expectation is a goal a game? We can see his weaknesses but overall looks a good improvement on what we have had up front since we've been back at this level, based on the evidence so far.

Boring though isn't it. One of these days we will sign someone where the jury doesn't have to be out. We know what they are and hit the ground running.

I'm looking at goals across games. Not one game streaks before being convinced. If that's harsh and to high bar well I don't care . Are we not AVFC. No point talking if we can't walk the walk. Sooner we set decent standards the more we will progress instead of this waiting...

Boring though isn't it. One of these days we will sign someone where the jury doesn't have to be out. We know what they are and hit the ground running.

I'm looking at goals across games. Not one game streaks before being convinced. If that's harsh and to high bar well I don't care . Are we not AVFC. No point talking if we can't walk the walk. Sooner we set decent standards the more we will progress instead of this waiting...
I get the concern about the distribution of his goals across games but overall I'm happy enough with what I've seen early doors, especially when compared to the other forwards we've signed of late. Four goals for a forward at this point in the season is a very good return.

Time will tell how good he is but there's very few signings out there in this position that are guarantees.

The Liverpool game will be one of the biggest flash in the pan results in premier league history.
As his hat trick could be. He hasn't looked close to repeat that in any game before or after Liverpool. Miles to go to convince me that he is not another Hogan, bought with no serious pedigree other than one season.

Its is categorically not all down to supply. Never has been , never will. There is a reason why SJ was head and shoulders our best player last season. Quality will always show in any side.

Jury fully and firmly out.
How's that jury after tonight?

Let's just give the guy a fair chance. Six or seven games in he's doing ok. He's also known for working hard and learning. BTW, scoring a brace against Arsenal must have killed him :lol:

Don‘t be a cock Merd .
Awwww, that's my thing.

All I'm saying is we react instantly and sometimes forget that this is a 38 game marathon. For a couple of games Ollie has looked lost, but the team was also poor. Think he's going to get better as we find consistency as a team. Not a bad start though eh?

Awwww, that's my thing.

All I'm saying is we react instantly and sometimes forget that this is a 38 game marathon. For a couple of games Ollie has looked lost, but the team was also poor. Think he's going to get better as we find consistency as a team. Not a bad start though eh?

No . All you said was a clever dick post. And for some reason after a brilliant win you wanted to try and pick a fight and throw a post back at me . We could all go searching for posts that we can throw back at people .

I have absolutely no idea why it is unreasonable to say that in MY opinion the jury is out for ME on a striker who has been signed from the championship from Brentford who at the time of the post had only played 6 games for us. If you are this good at calling a player you need to get on the blower to Villa Park.

Do I want Watkins to be the real deal. Errrr... yes . Because that means villa will be successful . I didnt write him off. I didnt proclaim him the saviour.
I simply said, as you cockily pointed out the jury is out. And actually , after 7 games it still is.

Long may his form though continue over a longer period as that will happily convince me .