The Official Vital 'lets slate Southgate's England selection' thread, sponsored by 50 years of miserable failure | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Official Vital 'lets slate Southgate's England selection' thread, sponsored by 50 years of miserable failure

Its better to take a player to a nothing tournament who will be involved internationally for the next ten years than 30 year olds who wont be going to Qatar..if you dont see that then fine but I wouldve taken more youngsters.

Its better to take a player to a nothing tournament who will be involved internationally for the next ten years than 30 year olds who wont be going to Qatar..if you dont see that then fine but I wouldve taken more youngsters.

Sessegnon WILL be involved in Qatar will he?

Evidence please- he's had one season in the Championship. You might as well say the same about Worrall.

He hasn't been dealing with the pressure and he has never played a single game at the highest level. Besides that, taking a 17 year old boy a long way away for well over a month with a big bunch of older men and their hangers on... Not really thinking of the lad there are you?

Your arsey retort might have more gravity if you didn't contradict yourself in your own post. You have said you would take both Shelvey and Wiltshire, yet they will be 30 in 2022 and given their careers so far highly unlikely to be major picks for Qatar.

But I'm sure you know best

Young is apparently being taken partially for his versatility but the problem is he is shit in every position he plays so I feel sorry for Bertrand.

Welbeck shouldn’t be anywhere near an international squad but our big problem is the fact that after Kane and Vardy there is nobody left.

For me our biggest miss will be Lallana. I accept that he has hardly played but he defends from the front and he has the ability to open up defences.

Overall I am underwhelmed with the squad and equally underwhelmed with the alternatives.

Quarter finals or bust!!

Welbeck will get injured on the plane over there.

Still. It’s nice to now officially know which group of players will fail miserably...

Wilshere has made 38 appearances this term. Rose has 10 by comparison. I would fully expect Sessegnon to be an international within 4 years..you saying Young will be playing in 40 degree heat at 36 years old? Its a waste...we wont win so we should be planning for the future. Brazil/Germany/France would laugh at your short termism.Mbappe..Dembele..Neymar..Ronaldos of this world were playing full international in their teens.

Wilshere has made 38 appearances this term. Rose has 10 by comparison. I would fully expect Sessegnon to be an international within 4 years..you saying Young will be playing in 40 degree heat at 36 years old? Its a waste...we wont win so we should be planning for the future. Brazil/Germany/France would laugh at your short termism.Mbappe..Dembele..Neymar..Ronaldos of this world were playing full international in their teens.

Talk about assumptions.

My short termism?

Where on this thread have I applauded the including of players like Young or Welbeck?

But there is a happy medium.

You don't have a straight choice between short term older players and children.

I agree that the likes of Welbeck are too old and shouldn't go. I even think squad players like Wiltshire shouldn't be going when their future prospects are not great.

But that doesn't exclude me from saying that Sessegnon is too young. He is a kid. He's the same age as Appiah.

You accuse me of short termism but want the inclusion of a child based on ONE season in the second tier. Sessegnon couldn't tear Derby apart under pressure but you think he'll have an impact against Belgium?

Maybe he would, but I'm really not sure what the month away from home and training for his club (and recuperating from a massive season) for the sake of a few minutes (if that) is going to do him. Training with his Fulham team mates, hopefully for his first PL season and getting proper conditioning work done is going to be more useful to him than being in a Russian hotel with a bunch of mid-late 20's millionaires for a month in the off chance that we are desperate enough to throw him on for a few minutes.

It's all well and good to think you are being dead progressive by clamouring for a child to be included in the squad, but what you are doing is having the exact same knee jerk reaction to an exciting young player that the media have destroyed young players with for years

Sessegnon is 18 this week...I seem to remember us taking 18 year olds to other tournaments. Hes just an example anyway of a player we couldve bedded in to a squad environment rather than the old clodders we are taking.

Welbrck has scored against:

Belgium (in 2012)
Sweden
San Marino
Malta
Moldova
Scotland
Switzerland
Slovenia
Lithuania

I can pick three teams there that are PL level and a couple that are not even League 2 level

Welbrck has scored against:

Belgium (in 2012)
Sweden
San Marino
Malta
Moldova
Scotland
Switzerland
Slovenia
Lithuania

I can pick three teams there that are PL level and a couple that are not even League 2 level

Can't blame welbeck for the fixtures- point is that Southgate sees that he scores for England and has performed reasonably well. He might be one of those rare players who does better for country. Was trying to think on the reasons for taking him.

With no creative play looks like it's all about compress the space (will we harry the ball down, WELL WILL WE!)

Reactions: PVH