The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

It's from the financial report sirdennis, so if its wrong its the club accountant thats wrong.

Can you show the financial report please . The latest account show losses of £32 million and if wages were 107% of turnover as you claim then the losses would be far far higher.

I have confidence things arent so bad given we spent 7M on Kalinic and another couple on Guilbert. We have a good few earners moving on in the summer too including Richards who was eating up anywhere between 35,000 to 50,000.

A lot of speculation for next season because anything could foreseeably happen. I think if we fail we will do everything in our power to keep Grealish but I don't think we'd sell Grealish and McGinn in one window. If Grealish goes I'd expect to see a bid for Joe Lolley which would soften the blow somewhat.

Regardless of this seasons outcome our management has eyes on the premier league. I personally think if we end up in the Championship next year and keep Grealish we'll still be able to sign a couple permanently and have one or two quality loans.

I have confidence things arent so bad given we spent 7M on Kalinic and another couple on Guilbert. We have a good few earners moving on in the summer too including Richards who was eating up anywhere between 35,000 to 50,000.

A lot of speculation for next season because anything could foreseeably happen. I think if we fail we will do everything in our power to keep Grealish but I don't think we'd sell Grealish and McGinn in one window. If Grealish goes I'd expect to see a bid for Joe Lolley which would soften the blow somewhat.

Regardless of this seasons outcome our management has eyes on the premier league. I personally think if we end up in the Championship next year and keep Grealish we'll still be able to sign a couple permanently and have one or two quality loans.

I'd also expect to see a bid going in for Jarod Bowen of Hull City too....

Can you show the financial report please . The latest account show losses of £32 million and if wages were 107% of turnover as you claim then the losses would be far far higher.
Also those accounts are from the 17/18 season. Don't know what the situation is this year.

Last Year from the various accounts:

Turnover £64.6m
Players & Coaches wages £66.6m
Additional staff £6.4m

We have 8 first tam squad players out of contract in the summer;
Steer,
Bunn,
Elphick,
Richards,
Hutton,
Jedinak,
Whelan,
Green,

as well as a few of the U23's, like Mitch Clark.

We have 6 players in on loan;
Tuanzebe,
Mings,
Hause,
Carroll,
El Ghazi,
Abraham,

that's a total of 14 players we will have to replace which ever league we are in at season's end.
A busy summer ahead for management.
I dont think the out of contract players matter to much 58 but the loan players do.
We appear to be building a team around them so sadly we are hostage to fortune with some of our better players.

The whole thing is actually in another thread on this site.
Its a long trawl through but, to simplify, the wages had dropped quite significantly over the last couple of years but shot up with the loan signings of Snodgrass, Terry etc.

I'd expect this years wage account to carry Bruce's and his assistants wages and contract buy-off.
When Richards was signed it was reported that he was signed on a £60k a week contract, so that, along with the other out of contract players wages, should go some way towards balancing things out next year, 19/20.
We will still need to be tightfisted when it comes to negotiating wages. Probably best to pay a tight basic with decent bonus'.

Last edited:
We have 8 first tam squad players out of contract in the summer;
Steer,
Bunn,
Elphick,
Richards,
Hutton,
Jedinak,
Whelan,
Green,

as well as a few of the U23's, like Mitch Clark.

We have 6 players in on loan;
Tuanzebe,
Mings,
Hause,
Carroll,
El Ghazi,
Abraham,

that's a total of 14 players we will have to replace which ever league we are in at season's end.
A busy summer ahead for management.

Green isn't out of contract this summer. His deal runs until 2020. You also missed a couple (De Laet and Lyden I think, information isn't close to hand) whose contracts do expire

This is the thing 58, let's look at the plans after we know what is happening. At the moment there is too much uncertainty to discuss. Want to keep Mings, Grealish, Taunzebe etc but that may be impossible if we don't get promotion.

One game at a time. Fight like Lions.
I agree with this view. Too many false dawns in the past.
I can only say if we win every match between now and the end of May, we will be back in the top flight. Is that possible? If (and big if) we can maintain the form of the last few games, then no team will live with us. Smith won't let the form drop and the reassuring thing now is that we are not just relying on Tammy for goals as we were earlier in the season.
VTID
UTV
HEITS

Green isn't out of contract this summer. His deal runs until 2020. You also missed a couple (De Laet and Lyden I think, information isn't close to hand) whose contracts do expire

We know Lyden is a goner but I'd forgot about de Laet.
Green is out of contract this summer by the way.
McCormack, Tshibola and Chester next summer(2020).

The right back situation is what I want to understand.

We've got Guilbert now with Bree and El Mo still in contracts. Bree I'd imagine will go on loan again so it'll be interesting to see if we attempt to ship out El Mo and sign up Hutton again. Two consumate professionals, it would be ruthless letting Hutton go but no decision made with emotion is ever a good one.

Whelan (still can't believe I am saying) and Elphick are two more. Jedinak can go I think its clear enough he doesnt have a place under Smith. Its a big void in the dressing room to lose those four (Jedinak, Hutton, Elphick, Whelan).

Promotion makes this more straight forward.

The right back situation is what I want to understand.

We've got Guilbert now with Bree and El Mo still in contracts. Bree I'd imagine will go on loan again so it'll be interesting to see if we attempt to ship out El Mo and sign up Hutton again. Two consumate professionals, it would be ruthless letting Hutton go but no decision made with emotion is ever a good one.

Whelan (still can't believe I am saying) and Elphick are two more. Jedinak can go I think its clear enough he doesnt have a place under Smith. Its a big void in the dressing room to lose those four (Jedinak, Hutton, Elphick, Whelan).

Promotion makes this more straight forward.

I know what you mean. We'll.need at least 2 more right backs if we get promoted.

Hutton will go. Let's be fair, it would've been last summer but for his performances. To me though, those have started reverting back to pre-17/18 season this year.

I'd said I'd have offered 3 of those out of contract another year: Steer, Elphick and Whelan. One already achieved now it seems.

To be fair, it can all change dependent on what league we are in, with potentially some who are still in contract being tried to find suitors when they'd have otherwise been a part of the squad.

Think Huttons extension was as much to do with Bruce. Think now he has reached his sell buy date. Brucie will snatch him up at SW.

Other extensions will depend on which division we are in. I'm minded to start afresh, sell some others and see which loans we can buy. Interesting summer.

Catch up lads, we moved onto wingers. Unless Dean Smith is different, we'll be stockpiling goalkeepers next!