The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

Unfortunately I can see that possibility OVB.
I think it would all depend on the financial position.
We are losing a number of players at the end of their contracts this summer, plus we have 5 or 6 players in on loan, so we are going to have to virtually rebuild a whole team.
What we'd get for Grealish and McGinn would let us pay for Guilibert and buy Mings, Hause, Tuanzebe, Carroll, El Ghazi, Despodov and Maupay.

If we go up we'll have a minimum of £100m for that season, and the FFP limits are much higher. Money is only a problem if we spend stupidly (as clubs going up are in a habit of doing). We have enough to buy Mings, Hause, Carroll, El Ghazi, maybe Tuanzebe if we still need him, plus another 2 or 3 critical signings, without selling the Supers.

It’s a nice conundrum to have that I debated in my head on my walk to Sainsburys this afternoon having written the season off over the new year due to the diabolical stuff we were playing.

On the one hand, I’d love us to retain the likes of Mings, Axel and to a lesser degree El Ghazi, retain the likes of Jack & SJM, to then build a squad ready to storm this league next season and build a squad ready to hit the PL with a top 10 finish in our first season. We only need a quality central midfielder - a Cairney/Woods type to step in front of Whelan & Hourihane in the middle and a Tammy replacement (easier said than done granted, and no Jimmy danger isn’t that person) in order to take this league by the scruff of the neck - it isn’t a particularly great league, and the three coming down will be solid but won’t storm the league so it’ll be there for the taking.

The problem is that is risky and it could be a case of one step forward, two steps back if we don’t go up this season. If Jack does go, and I would not be surprised if he had that “give me one more season” chat with Brucey then we have a big problem to replace as is obvious.

So if we have to go up at any opportunity (even if it’s through the back door because you cannot guarantee what the summer holds) with a squad so reliant on one player - we have to do a Fulham to some degree. I think they completely lost the foundations of their promotion, their three midfielders who dominated the Championship from February to May barely got a game - one is now at smethwick.

I’d be expecting to see 3 or 4 new faces in a championship Villa XI in August, it might have to be 5-6 if we make it to the big time again.

Last edited:
So if we have to go up at any opportunity (even if it’s through the back door because you cannot guarantee what the summer holds) with a squad so reliant on one player - we have to do a Fulham to some degree. I think they completely lost the foundations of their promotion, their three midfielders who dominated the Championship from February to May barely got a game - one is now at smethwick.

Think that's the point; Fulham spent too much on doing a rebuild they didn't need. Going up I think you have to build on what you've got. We do now have the core of a good team. If we can keep the players we've got and have in on loan, then add two or three carefully selected quality players, then that gives us the best chance. We can't stand still; we have weaknesses and we have to spend. But do it sensibly.

What worries me about you this is to keep the players we have now on loan we need to make 4 or 5 signings before we look to strengthen further

Do we have contractual options on all the loan players or just Hause and El Ghazi ?
Can't believe Mings doesn't get a game at Bournemouth

If we go up, Mings will come.

If we don’t come up, Mings could be persuaded unless a big club like Leicester or Watford come in for him (!). I know I’m biased, and both Leicester and Watford are good clubs achieving loads for the relative size of their budgets, but I’d rather spend a season for a title chasing big club like Villa and have my sights set one season out to play premier league. He’ll get even more confidence and be able to work on a few things, where he’s less likely to get punished. Plus he has all the attributes to become a legend here, and we have one or two legends who played at the back.

As we don't know whats going to happen between now and seasons end, I have every confidence that the management will have several plans in place, covering every possibility, from the very worst, to what we all hope and pray will happen.

This is the thing 58, let's look at the plans after we know what is happening. At the moment there is too much uncertainty to discuss. Want to keep Mings, Grealish, Taunzebe etc but that may be impossible if we don't get promotion.

One game at a time. Fight like Lions.

We have 8 first tam squad players out of contract in the summer;
Steer,
Bunn,
Elphick,
Richards,
Hutton,
Jedinak,
Whelan,
Green,

as well as a few of the U23's, like Mitch Clark.

We have 6 players in on loan;
Tuanzebe,
Mings,
Hause,
Carroll,
El Ghazi,
Abraham,

that's a total of 14 players we will have to replace which ever league we are in at season's end.
A busy summer ahead for management.