The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 42 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

It's one thing having an overriding approach or philosophy, but in reality if you pay £15 million for Neil Maupay when you could have Danny Wellbeck for free then that's just stupid.

The big difference is my friend, Wellbeck is at an age where he isn't going to improve and to be honest he's never been what one could call prolific, while Maupay is young enough to improve season on season for the next five or six seasons.

The reason i say DS might still have a role for Lansbury, he is always straight back on the bench as soon as he is fit. This makes me think he has something in mind for him?

The big difference is my friend, Wellbeck is at an age where he isn't going to improve and to be honest he's never been what one could call prolific, while Maupay is young enough to improve season on season for the next five or six seasons.

Wellbeck is 28 (hardly over the hill) and has spent his career playing for Manchester United, Arsenal and England.

Maupay is 22 and is a Championship player. There is no gaurentee he'll ever hit the heights Wellbeck has.

£15 million is a massive gamble.

Wellbeck on a free is pretty risk free. You know you're getting a premier league player.

Wellbeck is 28 (hardly over the hill) and has spent his career playing for Manchester United, Arsenal and England.

Maupay is 22 and is a Championship player. There is no gaurentee he'll ever hit the heights Wellbeck has.

£15 million is a massive gamble.

Wellbeck on a free is pretty risk free. You know you're getting a premier league player.

My concern with someone like Wellbeck is what does he want to achieve at Villa?

Perhaps he is a super-motivated guy who loves playing football and would never give anything less than 100% or perhaps he is a normal footballer who would look at us as a handy £80k per week for 4 years at a club where he wouldn't have to try that hard.

Well as said previously in my opinion he's only ever really wanted to play football. That's why he left United.

And after a season ravaged by injury I'd imagine that desire to play burns more brightly than ever.

I'd trust Smith and co to figure out if he has the right attitude. If he comes across as a merceneary then 'd agree steer clear. Our recruitment this summer really needs to focus on getting in the right characters. I just personally believe Wellbeck is one of them.

Aston Villa have £8m transfer bid knocked back for Cardiff City goalkeeper Neil Etheridge
"Bluebirds owner Vincent Tan is believed to be keen on keeping Cardiff City's number one following an impressive season in the Premier League"

An interesting part of the article.................. "Boss Dean Smith and goalkeeping coach Neil Cutler are both known to have a strong personal relationship with the Philippines international, having worked with him at Walsall during the formative years of his career."

"Etheridge, who kept nine clean sheets for Cardiff in the Premier League last season, has previously credited Cutler as being a key influence in his career "

Article........... https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-8m-transfer-bid-16373085