The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 176 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

Yeah I know. We are all stepping stones for someone... even Man United in there hey day... Ronaldo used them as a stepping stone for Madrid.

That's my point though. Why is anyone worrying about our signings in case they decide to leave us in the future... that's football. The days of signing a player for life are over and have been for a long time.

If they want to go to bigger and better things after a couple of years and they've been a success with us then flog them for big bucks and bring in the next star.
Use them well while we've got them.
I assume our new regime is savvy enough to draw up contracts that pan out to our advantage in the long run.

Don’t call me a miserable get (you will) but am I the only one who thinks that while we are scouring the four corners for players who are good Scrabble scores, at the same time worrying about a lack of experience, to let Fabian Delph go to Bluescouse for half the cost of Matt Targett is bloody barmy?
Strange that he could be replacing Idrissa Gueye, whose signing forced FD out of VP......

Is this friendly on Thursday going to be streamed free on YouTube or something? I know it's basically a fitness friendly but I want to see some of these newbies in action ?

And what else would you be doing in the office on Thursday?

Don’t call me a miserable get (you will) but am I the only one who thinks that while we are scouring the four corners for players who are good Scrabble scores, at the same time worrying about a lack of experience, to let Fabian Delph go to Bluescouse for half the cost of Matt Targett is bloody barmy?
Strange that he could be replacing Idrissa Gueye, whose signing forced FD out of VP......

He will be going for 8m but wages will be huge and break out wage structure. He am definitely didn’t force Delph out, don’t know where you got that from....

Same as Cahill regarding the wages though, he would be a ‘free’ but that just means the wages are astronomical and they basically pay the player the fee (in extra salary) that they would have paid to buy them.

Do you sign a player of proven quality but at the peak of his career or even beyond? Or a player who is early in his career, but also seems to have quality, and can only improve?

Given DS's track record on improving players and building teams, I'd go for the latter. No player is irreplaceable. What matters is how a player will perform for us. I've no doubt Delph would do well here, but I like the look of the Luiz signing. If he comes.

7 signings so far. More to come. But, of those 7, 3 are resignings and 2 are players who have played for DS, so as far as DS is concerned only Wesley and Taggart are completely new signings. We need more to get some sort of depth; the PL teams who struggle don't have that depth.

Like it or not, we are a stepping stone type club, and until we start winning things or consistently finish top 4 that will always be the case.

Worrying about buying players because they might want to leave one day is pointless.

Agreed, losing players is to be expected if they are successful. Although disappointing, I don't blame the likes of Benteke, Young, Milner, Barry and Delph for taking the opportunities that arose.

Where we failed miserably was in using the money we received wisely when replacing them. I really, really hope that the new regime can do better. Finger's crossed, but the initial signs are good.

Breaking in to the top 4 with our promising players would probably change the game somewhat.